Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / (tiki-ti vs. dtbc vs. tv) vs. TONGA HUT !!

Post #492914 by JOHN-O on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 1:10 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 1:10 PM

On 2009-10-29 10:29, GROG wrote:
Go to Tonga Hut while Hiphipahula is bartending. Order anything she writes on the board, especially the Hipaliscious or Mugcracker, and you won't be disappointed.

News flash and update !! The Tonga Hut might very well be the most perfect Tiki Bar in the entire world from 4:00-8:00pm Thu, Sat, & Sun. Here's why:

1. Old-school Tiki history since 1958. This is 3 years older than Tiki-Ti even !!
  2. Classic frozen-in-time Tiki atmosphere. Tikis large and small, black-velvet wahines, lime-green vinyl booths, and actual running fountains. Take away the flat screen (which is already pretty discrete) and you could imagine JFK is in the White House.
  3. And the best current reason of all, master mixologist Hiphipahula is behind the bar !!

This was only my 2nd visit since the recent changes of the last few years. Yes, I remember the T.H. from 10 years ago when it was the Tonga Dump. Now it's Tiki Nirvana. The drinks from my visit several months ago were pretty good. I'd rank them about the same as Trader Vic's but not in the same class as Tiki-Ti or the recent drinks I've had at DTBC. This all changed however after sampling a couple of Kelly's superb cocktails.

I told her I like 'em stiff and dry. Based on this she mixed me up her own "Shaka Hula Bossa Nova". This was one divine beverage with 3.5 shots of rum (one of them being 151). The stiffness of the drink was well balanced with a fresh citrus flavor (not overly sweet). I could feel the warm glow of Tiki well-being wash over me as I savored this drink. The only thing I disliked was the Daiquiri glass she served it in. She said the drink was too large for a Collins or Old-fashioned glass (my preferred glassware and no I don't do mugs).

I was going to stop with just one since I wanted to visit another mid-century gem nearby, the Fox Fire Room.

I however heard her describe some other cocktails to a woman sitting nearby. I overheard the words "gin","bourbon", and "bastard". What I asked, you mix the Suffering Bastard based on the original Cairo recipe? Not only did she say yes, she gave me my choice of Bourbon. Nice !! When I mentioned that Tiki-Ti and Trader Vics only use rum for that drink, she replied "Shame on them". In fact Kelly's such a purist she strongly stated that if a Mai Tai isn't mixed from the original TV or DTBC recipe, then it has no business calling itself a Mai Tai. I'd hate to be the customer asking for a splash of pineapple juice.

FYI, she recommended requesting the drinks "grog log" style when she isn't tending the bar. That may very well be the secret password to a higher-level tropical drink experience at the Tonga Hut. The drinks have finally caught up with the Tonga Hut's old-school history and vintage decor. Thanks Kelly !! I plan to be back when you're behind the bar.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-11-09 13:28 ]