Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel / JOHN-O's Mid-Century Guide to the San Gabriel Valley, CA

Post #487641 by JOHN-O on Sun, Oct 11, 2009 8:28 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J

Here's some new additions....

OK, so after a hard day of Tiki shopping at Oceanic Arts, you might be asking what other fun mid-century bars are in the area besides Embers? Look no further than this place just down the street from there.

1. Poor Denny's Saloon (1964)

Man, does this place ooze dive bar charm. It's the same owner as Embers, and the theme is nautical (Tiki's kissing cousin). I swear, if this place was located in Silver Lake or Echo Park, it would be hipster central it's so ironically cool. You however, get to enjoy it in the company of friendly neighborhood locals. Knowing some Spanish wouldn't hurt. Poof-a-doof, mixed cocktails are only $3.50 !!

Poor Denny's Saloon is located only 2 miles from OA at 8020 Boer Ave, Whittier. I think they open at 11am.

OK, let's say you're in the mood for a steak. The problem is you've spent so much money at OA, you can't afford the Del Rae or even Steak 'N Stein. What to do? Check out this popular local spot.

1. Steak Corral (1968)

This place is a throwback to the days when themed family restaurants were the rule. Check out that covered wagon salad bar and beverage machine !! Here you can feed a family of 4 for less than $50.

I think the greatest thing about the Steak Corral is the 7-foot Tiki that sits out in front. Now I know you're probably saying "JOHN-O, are you on drugs? That thing's not a Tiki !!".

Well it may not vibe Polynesian symbology, but it is an AUTHENTIC mid-century kitsch icon that was intended to be worshiped. I think that's pretty close to a Tiki.

Besides "Westy" (that's what I call him), has been standing guard for over 4 decades protecting the right of Whittier families to have an affordable steak dinner. Since Tiki had to be revived, I would argue that Westy is more powerful and enduring than any traditional Tiki. Check out how he lassoed that steak in the air, can a Tiki do that? No way, most regular Tikis don't even have hands.

So go now and show your respect, Westy will probably still be there when this current Tiki revival is ancient history.

The Steak Corral is located only 2 miles from OA at 11605 Washington Blvd, Whittier. They open at 11am.