Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki / The Film Noir Thread

Post #488286 by JOHN-O on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 11:24 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J

I've wanted to post my list of top ten favorite neo-Noirs for quite some time. I'll probably elaborate on my choices in future posts.

Here it is for now....

1. Memento (2000) - I'll stack this up with any of the original Film Noir classics. I love this movie.
  2. Blade Runner (1982) - Even though I got burned out on it (too many versions).
  3. Chinatown (1974) - Here's a true story. Faye Dunaway - "What's my motivation for this scene?" Roman Polanski - "Your paycheck's your motivation. Just say the fucking lines !!"
  4. Taxi Driver (1976) - Possibly more ambitious than Noir but I'll put it on my list anyway.
  5. The Grifters (1990) - I could have imagined this being made in the late 1940's.
  6. Devil in a Blue Dress (1995) - Walter Mosley translates better to the screen than James Ellroy.
  7. Hard Eight (1996) - Little known gem from Paul Thomas Anderson (his film before Boogie Nights). I love the final shot.
  8. The Yakuza (1975) - Starring Robert Mitchum. Screenplay by Paul Schrader & Robert Towne !!
  9. The Player (1992) - Arguably more of a satire but that's what they said about Sunset Blvd too.
  10. Repo Man (1984) / Big Lewbowski (1998) - It's a tie between Punk Noir and Bowling Noir.

What JOHN-O, no "L.A. Confidential" ?? !! I admit I loved it when it first came out, but the more I watch it I don't think it holds up. It almost seems like a self-conscious and unintentional parody of period Noir. I think maybe they should have stopped doing period Noir after "Chinatown" (how are you going to top that one?). Chalk it up as "Ellroy Light". Read the book instead. I watch it now to see interior shots of Neutra's Modernist classic, the Lovell House. I got to visit that place once.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-15 07:59 ]