Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Movie prop warehouse liquidation auction

Pages: 1 17 replies

TZ

This may be old news to some, but I just heard about it. 20th Century Props, the worlds largest supplier of props to Hollywood, is going out of business and all inventory will be sold at auction July 28-Aug. 1. I don't have time to scroll through the thousands of items in the auction catalog and don't want to torture myself with seeing things I'm not in a position to buy. A quick check of the company's website revealed a few very nice tiki-related items. Plus, there should be lots of period items from the 50's and 60's. The company owner got started as an antique dealer and focused on rattan, so there should be a nice collection of that furniture. The company website is http://www.20thcenturyprops.com and there is a link to the auction site.

I'd be curious to know if anyone picks up something from the auction.

TS

I did see a post about this, but what I'm wondering, if they keep the $500 deposit if you don't wind up buying anything...?

check out the site and do a search for tiki..more tikis and bamboo bars appear.....some really cool stuff.

Holy Spicolli
Does this tiki look familiar to anyone?

I had met Paul Rubens at a Tiki party at a friends house, and remembered a tiki on Pee Wee's Playhouse, so I asked him and he sent me a photo of it the next week or so. Comparing photos, this is the same one. The auction has 3 so, there could have been even more. I emailed Paul Rubens to see if he knew what happened to the tiki and if one of these could be the one.

When I was wee whipper snapper, I loved Pee Wee's playhouse.. I have a photo of me dressed up like pee wee when I was 8 or so. My mom and I went to a thrift store and bought a grey suit, she put white makup on my face and my hair was already like his, but she sprayed it black.

T

Wow!

This is in my neighborhood and I wish I had the cash, man. I'm saving up for Tiki Oasis 9 in a few weeks so the timing is just horrible for me & for all of us.

Usually a $500 deposit buys you a bidders number card and the deposit is refunded if no purchases are made - or applied to your winning bids at the end of the day. Auction companies usually do this to minimize the sheer amount of looky-loos that always gravitate to events like this.

A lot of people are going to walk away with a stash of cool stuff - for cheap. Relatively speaking..how many bidders are going to go for fiberglass tikis etc when there's 200,000 square feet of warehouse stocked with movie/television goodness? My God. Again BAD TIMING!

In case anyone wanted to know, here's the selling prices of the Tiki Stuff...

PNG Wood Chair: $450
Ku Fiberglass Statue: $350
Pee Wee's Tiki: $150

The others went from $50 to $125 each.

Pewee's Tiki for a mere $150.- bucks!? Great price for such a classic Pre-Tiki Revival icon! I thought I recognized it from somewhere, but was thinking from a matchbook cover :) . The Martin Denny-esque theme song for Pewee's Playhouse was written by Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo. My son grew up with that show, I loved to watch it with him. Sigh.

Thanks for the update Tiki Lee. If I wasn't so busy with getting ready for Oasis and the Tonga Hut, I would have gone down there. I figured the Pee Wee Tiki would sell for about that much. I would have love to have gotten it, but maybe I'll just make a small necklace duplicate of it?

Hey Big Bro, you me and PeeWee share the same Birthday!

if anyone needs a good cry, check out the slide show from 20th century props on their website......

..i wonder how much the original doctor evil escape pod went for.....would have looked great in my living room next to the full size fiberglass bob's big boy!!

T

Yeah I recognized it the Pee Wee TeeKee. Or thought maybe the tiki from Devil's rejects (which were is no way I'll watch)

http://www.kahikipalms.com/

I really need some bar stools and those ones pictured are all the kinds I need. I'll keep looking around here

H

Looks the same. Kahiki Palms postcard:

What's the story with Kahiki Palms? Is it someone hear on TC? Hakalugi, I just realized I forgot to send your package. In the mail today!

I was always curious WHO set up that imaginary Kahiki Palms website. The prop house Tikis make it even more clear: An art director that works in the L.A. film industry built it for fun. It is all fake.

That building that has been photoshopped to look like Tiki Motel is really a film set that was built for a movie and left standing somewhere in the desert up North near Newhall. After the first film wrapped, some smart art department guy took it over and rented it as a location, I worked on a pretty awful movie there, around 1990, with Dennis Hopper and Lara Flynn Boyle:

...jeez, I'm just being a myth buster here lately, I know too much crap, I better shut up now.

H

teaKEY indirectly mentioned the source of the Kahiki Palms website. It was set up to promote the Rob Zombie horror film "The Devil's Rejects". The Kahiki Palms was a central location in that film.

And thanks Tony for the heads up on the package.:wink:

On 2009-07-31 14:53, Hakalugi wrote:
teaKEY indirectly mentioned the source of the Kahiki Palms website. It was set up to promote the Rob Zombie horror film "The Devil's Rejects". The Kahiki Palms was a central location in that film.

I guess my film wasn't that bad after all... :D
2005, that wasn't that long ago. Amazing how long that place has been standing.

i watch alot of "straight to dvd" B-movies.....that set was used in at least 2 different movies i saw over the years that featured some type of vampire and/or serial killer drifter.....only both movies were made prior to devil's rejects and the set was dressed up like a roadside diner/motel from the 50's......

A8

Is this the same diner set that is located in Lake Los Angeles in the Antelope Valley?

Pages: 1 17 replies