Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / Tiki Road Trip by James Teitelbaum

Post #534224 by JOHN-O on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 12:02 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J

I just wanted to give this thread a bump based on a lot of "I'm traveling to xxx, and where should I go?" posts.

James Teitelbaum's "Tiki Road Trip, A Guide to Tiki Culture in North America" (2nd edition) is an INVALUABLE resource for anyone planning a cross-country "Tiki Crawl". Not only does it include the major players but also 2nd-tier Tiki destinations (which might not have a high "TIPSY" factor but are still historically significant). I'm very impressed by how comprehensive it is. Obscure places which fly low under the radar (even for Tiki Central) are documented. I've learned about some pretty amazing places even in my own backyard. The book also includes mid-century places which aren't specifically "Tiki" but are still highly worthwhile.

The book isn't just a "Travel Guide", it also documents significant Tiki locations which are no longer with us. It's a fascinating read even if you're not going anywhere. It's a great complement to the "Book of Tiki" and "Sippin Safari".

Here's some West Coast updates since the 2007 2nd Edition publishing:

1. Smuggler's Cove - San Francisco

2. Frankie's Tiki Room - Las Vegas

3. Trader Vic's - Downtown LA

4. La Descarga - East Hollywood (not Poly-Pop, but definitely a mid-century Revival destination with master rum mixology).

5. Don the Beachcomber (formerly Sam's Seafood) - Actually Sunset Beach, not Huntington Beach (despite what their website says).

6. The new "old" Tonga Hut - North Hollywood

FYI, I'm biased here, but #5 and #6 have a much higher prominence now since 2007. I'd easily put them in the same category as Tiki-Ti and the Mai Kai in terms of historic significance, decor, and mixology.

You can even order it via Tiki Central - http://www.tikicentral.com/books/tabootomes.htm

It's out of print but you can grab one on the secondary market. Make sure it's the 2nd edition (although it lacks the cool rating system of the 1st edition).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-04 12:09 ]