Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pi-Yi vs Pi-Yi

Pages: 1 0 replies

I saw a recipe for the Pi-Yi posted on TC tonight. I hadn't made a Pi-Yi in some time, and the recipe quoted in the TC post is from the Beachbum's Intoxica, which was one that I had not made before. I have always made Don the Beachcomber's version which was printed in 'Hawai'i Topical drinks & Cuisine' which was written by Don's widow Phoebe Beach. The recipes have some similarities yet many differences. Personally, I find Don's recipe to be somewhat more flavourful, although the Beachbum's recipe is delightful and somewhat understated. They are both great recipes, and I thought that I would post both of them for my fellow TC'ers.

Has anyone made either (or both) of the recipes? What do you think of them??

Pi-Yi, from Beachbum Berry's Intoxica:

1 1/2 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz honey
1/2 oz. Peach Brandy
1/2 oz. Passion fruit
nectar or juice (not syrup!)
1 oz. Gold Puerto Rican rum
1 oz. Martinique rum
Dash Angostura Bitters

Blend with 8 oz ice for one full min. pour into hollowed-out pineapple add more crushed ice.

Pi-Yi, by Don the Beachcomber, from Hawai'i:

3 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz honey
1/2 oz. Fassionola
1 oz. Passion fruit juice (not syrup!)
1 oz. Negrita rum
1 oz. Puerto Rican dark rum
2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
2 Dashes Falernum

Pour above ingredients into a blender add 6 oz cracked ice. Turn speed to high and blend for 1/2 minute. pour into hollowed-out pineapple and replace the top. Serve with a straw.

Don's recipe call's for Fassionola, which is a subject of long time debate here at TC. I make Fassionola by using a packet of tropical punch mix (ie, Kool-Aid), add the sugar that the package calls for but only adding about 12oz of water and mixing it up, so that it makes a thick syrup. I To this solution I add about 10% passion fruit syrup both for acidity, and because of the debate around whether Fassionola was a tropical punch flavoured syrup or whether it was more of a passion fruit flavoured syrup. This concoction works in the old recipes that call for Fassionola in my experience. YMMV, as always.

Cheers!

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2009-07-09 22:09 ]

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-04-22 19:24 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies