Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New THOR paintings...featuring Marina and more!!!!

Pages: 1 23 replies

T

Aloha All!!

I am not posting everything I am painting...but like to pop in here and there and share some fun stuff. Here are a few more recent pieces...with this latest one called " Perils and Pearls" as part of my diver/mermaid series. I will post these and give a little description as to what they all are. Hope all are well!! Looking forward to the summer events so I can un-glue my butt from my painting area and have some fun! These are not the good scans..just fast pics I took outside with a cam to give the idea. The actual scans and originals are far richer and more polished.

Special thanks to Kari, Hassan and Ernie(Grog) for getting me out to have fun at Bahooka the other night!! We all acted like 5 year olds and I thought for sure we would all either choke on our food big time or pee the booths raw with all the laughter!! What a night!!! Love you guys soo much!

Ok here are the goods... Enjoy!

"Perils and Pearls" Inspired by the great tales of the deep from the olden days when the ocean was a complete mystery below. Here, a beautiful mermaid (recognize this gal?)saves a deep sea diver who's greed for a massive pearl is punished by the clutches of a giant clam. With busted dive knife in hand, the diver looks peers towards a site he shall tell of for decades in his tales of deep sea adventures survived. Thanks so much Marina for posing for this....you are truly the real thing!!!

"Poi Meets Girl" A Hawaiian gecko gentleman offers a finger full of poi to a coy lil' gal who is flustered by his gesture! Pi is the Taro root paste eaten by Hawaiians as a traditional starch..it is a pale purple gray goop. She is sitting on a lava rock Poi pounding stone as he is in a Koa wood poi bowl.

"At's a Moray" A love affair at the tide pools between a green Moray eel and a pretty lil' Hawaiian gecko. Shell tea lights add the romance against the moon.

"Tentacle Difficulties" Legends said there were cases of deep sea divers reporting giant octopus the size of to or three stories high..in some cases they only were able to shout through their microphones before the life lines were severed like kite string....So we can only ponder the outcome here as this fella sneaks in for a love tap!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2009-05-19 15:14 ]

Wow Thor those look spectacular! Really love the Marina piece, looks just like her.
Also love the "Tentacle Difficulties" piece, just too cool.

Wish I could have made it to Bahooka, sounds like a good time was had.

Awesome Thor!

T

Thanks Doug and Bohemian!!!

Doug..we missed you but understood it was a wee far to travel to! But let's do something soon!!! K?

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 19, 2009 6:28 PM

Nice paint slinging.

Had fun Friday. Let's do it again. soon!

T

New THOR paintings...featuring Marina

I like what you did there but then there is a problem. ALL your paintings now MUST contain Marina in them.

S
squid posted on Tue, May 19, 2009 8:29 PM

At's a Moray! HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA F$%&#in' HAHAHAHAA!!!!

Great paintings and very clever titles. Love the geckos, how fun!

OMIGOSH Tom!
Out of Control...
lovin the sense of depth
and those bubbles....
This underwater series has that mysterious beauty
that's hard to look away from...
A-plus PLUS!!!
:)

J

Amazing work, Tom! I first saw the Marina painting on FaceBook and had this thought: "Who knew there were so many shades of blue!" I've seen lots of paintings with tons of colors, but something about your underwater scenes draws me in to look deeper. The concept that so much detail can be painted with one color just blows me away. I realize all the artists here are probably thinking "well, duh", but as a casual observer, I'm always thrilled when a painting makes me think about art in a way I haven't before. And the likeness of Marina is perfect! Well done!

I went to the Thor Store and looked under Sea Adventure and I didn't see these. Please tell me your going to add these?

T

There is a lot of HAPPINESS in your terrific art work Thortiki

F
frojo posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 6:23 PM

Thor youdabom!!

frojo

T

Much thanks for the replies!!! It makes the time well spent!! Warm wishes!!

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 21, 2009 2:34 AM

Awesome new work mate, particularly love the last one :D

killer works once again, Thor! your stuff truly inspires me to go straight to the painting corner and dive back in. thanks for posting!

Incredible stuff!!
love the lizards

T

Thanks very much.... I am taking a break..just bought a new Kiln and can't wait to experiment!!!

RD

They look like the covers of books that I badly want to read, but would never live up to the art on the cover. MAYBE if it was a choose your own adventure!

-KT

Thor - as always you have shared some absolutely fantastic paintings with us. I love how life like your scenes are!

Please tell me that you are making prints of "Tentacle Difficulties" - that piece really stands out to me!

Dude those are Off the HOOK Very kewl .

T

Much Thanks!! I know all are being published. "Tentacle Difficulties" was a special piece I did based on brainstorming one time at a signing I did in Honolulu at the US Navy Exchange mall. I have a good size following of Divers and SEALS there and we all loved the idea of depicting some exciting undersea adventures...legends of the deep...etc. I will do one with tiger sharks soon....and maybe a 1960's Navy "frogman" with knife drawn like an old Loyd Bridges, "Sea Hunt" sorta feel. "Tentacle Difficulties" will be a limited giclee series of only about 50. You can call the Thor Gallery in Waikiki if you want one ordered.

I have done a lot of diving in many sites in the world, but my favorites have been the places where there is uncertainty as to what's around...dark murky water, foggy days with distorted visibility or thick kelp forests where ya almost need your compass to find your way out of down there are all recipes for imagination to make all things "bigger than life"!! Anyways...all these things inspire a painting.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 7:20 AM

Tom-

Love your latest works. Simply amazing and as usual, inspiring for me. The undersea pieces are just magnificent.

Like one of the prior posts has already said - so many shades of blue just draws you into the scene.

Thanks for sharing. Hope to catch up with you again sometime. Cheers! G

Beautiful work!

Pages: 1 23 replies