Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Urban And Tiki Archaeology Research Help Page

Pages: 1 46 replies

Would it be helpful to start a research "how too" thread. Not a page for specific locations but a general help page. People could field questions about how to do research, how to approach someone for information without freaking them out. Where to find and how to obtain information from local sources and things of this nature. Or is this better handled on location specific posts such as found in Locating Tiki. Some folks especially the new ones may be in a position to do some research but have no idea where or how to start. Just thought I would throw the idea out for consideration. Thanks.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2015-03-08 06:27 ]

What a nice idea, Trav. Yet I am not getting my hopes up in terms of interest for this. Most folks are into Tiki for mug collecting and cocktail imbibing, and into the "pop" aspects of it (that weird and whacky low brow art), less than the "culture" (i.e. history, context,) of this pop culture. I am very grateful that SOME are inspired to the degree of really actively researching it, not just consuming it, but the majority will simply enjoy it being served on a platter.

W

"...But the majority will simply enjoy it being served on a platter."

I used to order the platter until I realized ordering the appetizers separately you got four egg rolls instead of two.

I think such a thread is a great idea and I wouldn't worry about those only interested in what blender will make the most Margaritas in an hour. So just start the thread or start it right here. My first advice:

1. Stop and look/ Go and see. Don't keep planning to do it some day because the wrecking ball may already be scheduled for tomorrow.

2. Photograph it. There's almost no reason to not have a camera with you where ever you go.

3. Ask. See an interesting Poly Pop item in a yard or business? Ask about it. There may be an incredible story. (Better yet: They may have always hated the item your asking about and tell you to take it!)

Thanks guys. I'll let the post ride and see what happens. Woofmutt your 1,2,3, is very true and good to know for people just starting out. I was at local city hall today doing some research. I was looking for plans for a local Tiki bar now long gone. Very helpful people. One interesting thing they had was a map program on the computer which can pick any location in the city and overlay maps from the past forty years onto any other city map. Very useful when tracking down older buildings. I also had the old address and a property parcel number. In my area this allows you to look at the public records for the old business you are researching for such things as plans, line drawings and sometimes photos. I did not get what I was looking for on this trip but had a good talk with the folks in the office who I can call on next time.

Fantastic idea. From my perspective, starting out with a single mug and adding to my mug collection here and there was only my introduction to the world of tiki and my interest has grown from there. TC has opened whole new avenues of education for me about the genre and the need to preserve it. Personally, if I knew of places to go in my area where I could glean historical information I would love it and I would love to contribute in that way, so I think a thread of this nature will be helpful.

I think this is a great idea. There is a defunct Tiki/Polynesian joint very close to me that I would like to explore. I'd love some tips on contacting the owner & seeing if he'd allow me to explore. BigBro, I think alot of us gravitate towards the collecting & Kustom Kulture aspect of tiki because it's easy & accessible, but most would like to delve deeper.

Local libraries are a great place to start. Some offer a local history room or section. Many libraries also have research librarians who are a great help. Some library online sites offer some info but at times much more can be accessed on thees sites if you have a library card.Older city directories are great for old print ads as are phone books.Local historical societies can help also.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-21 18:03 ]

On 2009-04-21 17:14, Big Kahuna wrote:
There is a defunct Tiki/Polynesian joint very close to me that I would like to explore. I'd love some tips on contacting the owner & seeing if he'd allow me to explore.

Try the Chamber of Commerce. Many have records with business records going way back. They may be able to dig up a name. Or look for old building permits for that address at the local county clerks office this may help also with the name of the owner.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-21 17:25 ]

I also think that this is a great idea.

I'm the first to admit that I'm an incurable collector, but over the past few years I've developed a deep passion for urban archaeology. I was really inspired by the Savage Renewal project of 2005. It was a great organized way to encourage people to participate in adding actual content to Tiki Central.

I agree with everything that woofmutt said. Don't just keep driving past and wondering about places. They'll all be gone eventually.

My favorite place for research is the public library. A good number of libraries still keep old phone books on hand. I generally start by getting my hands on as many phone books from the 1960's as they have available. I check the listings for Apartments, Motels, Hotels, Bowling Alleys and Restaurants. Depending on what I find in 1960 and 1969, I'll start checking through the late 50's and early 70's and just follow the trail from there. Boris recently discovered that some phone books even have a section of listings titles Hawaiian. I always bring a notebook to jot down addresses and a digital camera to photograph the listing with full ads. I'll mapquest the addresses that I come up with and go back and track down the old sites. I'm constantly amazed at how many are still there.

I know some people may be thinking, "That's all well and good Kate, but you live in the Tiki Mecca that is Southern California." As many of you know, I live in the Inland Empire which is the sweaty armpit of Southern California. And I've been surprised with a few delightful finds in my neck of the woods such as Trader Island and The Del Rosa Palms.

Tiki was so pervasive in the 1960's that no matter where you live, I bet you can find some trace of your area's tiki past if you only look for it.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Kate 2009-04-21 17:26 ]

Goood! I tried to provoke some reaction, thanks.

First and foremost nowadays, comes the

INTERNET! Humu humu JUST posted a great source here!:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32079&forum=1&2

Mind boggling, but if MANY look, everyone will find something and can ad it to the puzzle.
And then the great LIFE archives. And on and on...

Now: I wrote and researched the Book of Tiki largely without the internet. I used:

Yellow pages: Current and vintage (at local library) Boris can tell you more!
Vintage Matchbooks and postcards (at paper collectors shows and collectors clubs)
Friends who are as nuts as I (now we also have Tiki Central)
Oceanic Arts (They were THERE!)
Libraries (for images and newspaper articles)
Used book stores.
Flea markets
Cruising the urban sea of L.A. and looking for tall palm trees

Like mentioned above: Once you have found the addresses, google street view is a god sent. Then go and photograph.

When cold calling veterans that have all but forgotten that they were purveyors of some part of Poly pop at some point, be prepared to be met with mistrust and suspicion." Who would be into THIS? They must have some ulterior motive.." Be patient and polite, and persistent but not pushy.

Go dig, kids, there is lots that is yet uncovered! :)

A good addition to Map quest are the satellite image site. Google Earth is a good one but the one I use more is Terra Server. This site has black and white images and many are older so there is a better chance of finding some of the older sites on this website.
http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx

M
Murph posted on Tue, Apr 21, 2009 5:52 PM

Good idea!
I'm reading and learning on this thread.

On 2009-04-21 17:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
Be patient and polite, and persistent but not pushy.

This goes a long long way. Many folks have stories to tell and years of memories to sift through. Just the other day I was Talking to a nice woman at an out of town library on the phone. I told her of a Tiki spot I was looking for info on and bingo! she used to frequent the place. What could have been a two minute call turned into a history lesson for me and a trip down memory lane for her that lasted fifteen minutes. She mailed out some photos copies for me on the library's dime and was happy to help me out. A friendly approach is the best.

Don't overlook your local newspaper. Many have large archives which can go way back. Some may have bound editions and some on microfilm or microfiche. Newspapers also archive photos. My local library has both microfilm and microfiche machines that have attached photo copiers to print out the info on the screen. The librarian or volunteer would be more than happy to show you how to use these.

And for the real quality images, try to find the original owners, the photographers, and the architects. The often idealistic RENDERINGS of Tiki temples are the holy grail. Blueprints are cool. Then 8x10 glossy B&W photos. Magazine articles they kept.

And don't EVER limit yourself or edit yourself: Examples:

In the 90s my research was so focused on quality examples of TIKI TIKI TIKI, that if an architect did just one Tiki place, but many other cool mid-century places, I just asked for the material of that one! Also when in the field: I did not photograph the great "Aztec House" Apartments in Glendale, complete with giant Chacmol figure outside and waterfall lobby! And last not least, I did not photograph enough examples of Tiki devolution. Now all these things are gone.

Your interests, knowledge and understanding evolve constantly, and as you make connections, it is great to have other examples than the perfect ones to create a broader context. Grab them while you can, they might not be around next time.

Amen to that!! So much out there has been lost with no record to show it's history. Tiki may be the main focus here but preserving the past is the real goal.

Great thread Uncle Trav!

I've been meaning to post this next thing and I might as well do it here.

Step by Step Urban Archeology with Bora Boris

This happened a few weeks ago. First I get off the Freeway because of traffic and I cut through downtown. It wasn’t much faster but I did drive by this ~

What the @&*#! was that? Could that be an abandoned Chinese Restaurant that underwent a Poly Pop conversion 40 years ago?

Lets take a closer look ~

1. Vintage looking signage actually painted on the building. Very Old Timey!
  2. Spray painted rock wall. Classic sign of Tiki Devolution.
  3. Barb Wire – Yikes! Unlike Sabu I will not be hopping the fence to see what’s on the other side. Plus I can see through the fence and there is nothing back there. :D

1. No Trespassing. So much for asking anyone about this place.
  2. In L.A. you see painted rocks way too much.
  3. Security camera.
  4. Cocktail sign?

1. Recent incarnation as Zazang Fresh Express. Although nothing about this building looks fresh.
  2. Smile Jerk, you’re on camera!
  3. Jeez! Take it easy with the black paint.

1. Tony’s Cocktails hmm?

So then I get on the internet and do a search at L.A.Time Machines to see if either Canton or Tony’s show up. Nothing! Then I find a listing on line for Canton suggesting that it’s not that old ~ Canton Restaurant - 2019 East 7th Street. Los Angeles, CA 90021

Then I search for Tony's and the address and it looks like they’ll be reopening the place as Tony’s. It looks like the place was originally Tony’s and the sign was never changed. That happens a lot because it’s my understanding that if you were to knock the sign down the new signs could not be as high due to zoning changes as time has gone by. Ultimately my interest in this place has waned and rock walls don’t always mean Tikis inside but it was enjoyable wasn’t it.

Maybe a little? :wink:

Splendid examples, because many folks probably would not pay mind to any of these sites. But once your urban archeology senses are tingling, you do. So that first place is not lava rock, just painted mid-century rock siding?
Hey, maybe you could post about your Tai-Ping work here, too.

O

What a great thread. Reminds me of my favorite urban archeologists who risked arrest at Disneyland not too long ago. Thanks for the pictures of the former Don the Beachcomber you two. It took real stones to do that.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=30245&forum=5&start=0&hilite=california%20disneyland

I'll bet even barbed wire won't stop you two. :)
I explored the former Bamboo Room at the Georgian Hotel that was originally a Speak Easy before the Bamboo Room. It now looks like it did during prohibition. The Speak Easy thread has the photos of how it looks today and the many photos on the walls of the star patrons back in the thirties, forties and fifties.

Tim, that one, of all the great examples of urban archeology on this board, is an odd one to favor, because it aimed at a site that was merely a recreation of an original place, and that was closed just 6 years or so ago.

In other words, the original Mc Donalds in Downey, with its arches and logo figures, is an authentic archeological site, but if any of its nostalgic recreations that use those features nowadays would close now, I would not go out of my way to document it.

This of course is in no way meant to minimize the achievements of the two explorers mentioned by you, just putting it into the correct perspective. :)

And I am sorry, but I am not so sure about that Bamboo Room, looks kinda newly renovated to me. For one thing, if it was originally called the Bamboo Room, where's the bamboo? :) You mean they tore out all the bamboo to make it look like a 30s speakeasy again?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-04-22 11:18 ]

On 2009-04-21 17:25, Tiki-Kate wrote:

I know some people may be thinking, "That's all well and good Kate, but you live in the Tiki Mecca that is Southern California." As many of you know, I live in the Inland Empire which is the sweaty armpit of Southern California.

Sweaty Armpit. Now THAT'S FUNNY. :lol:

I love the urban archaeology aspect of TC, and love posts by BigBro, Sabu,Bosko, TraderPup, Kate and Boris (even tho' he doesn't like me any more :( )

One of the many reasons I love living in SoCal is all the PolyPop and MCM Architecture...so the Locating Tiki thread is a big fave of mine.

Keep em' comin, I say. :)

On 2009-04-22 00:14, Bora Boris wrote:
Great thread Uncle Trav!

I've been meaning to post this next thing and I might as well do it here.

Step by Step Urban Archeology with Bora Boris

This happened a few weeks ago. First I get off the Freeway because of traffic and I cut through downtown. It wasn’t much faster but I did drive by this ~

What the @&*#! was that? Could that be an abandoned Chinese Restaurant that underwent a Poly Pop conversion 40 years ago?

Lets take a closer look ~

1. Vintage looking signage actually painted on the building. Very Old Timey!
  2. Spray painted rock wall. Classic sign of Tiki Devolution.
  3. Barb Wire – Yikes! Unlike Sabu I will not be hopping the fence to see what’s on the other side. Plus I can see through the fence and there is nothing back there. :D

1. No Trespassing. So much for asking anyone about this place.
  2. In L.A. you see painted rocks way too much.
  3. Security camera.
  4. Cocktail sign?

1. Recent incarnation as Zazang Fresh Express. Although nothing about this building looks fresh.
  2. Smile Jerk, you’re on camera!
  3. Jeez! Take it easy with the black paint.

1. Tony’s Cocktails hmm?

So then I get on the internet and do a search at L.A.Time Machines to see if either Canton or Tony’s show up. Nothing! Then I find a listing on line for Canton suggesting that it’s not that old ~ Canton Restaurant - 2019 East 7th Street. Los Angeles, CA 90021

Then I search for Tony's and the address and it looks like they’ll be reopening the place as Tony’s. It looks like the place was originally Tony’s and the sign was never changed. That happens a lot because it’s my understanding that if you were to knock the sign down the new signs could not be as high due to zoning changes as time has gone by. Ultimately my interest in this place has waned and rock walls don’t always mean Tikis inside but it was enjoyable wasn’t it.

Maybe a little? :wink:

I SAW this Canton place, and was thinking the same thing. TYO rehearses right down the street.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-04-22 12:03 ]

O

On 2009-04-22 11:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
Tim, that one, of all the great examples of urban archeology on this board, is an odd one to favor, because it aimed at a site that was merely a recreation of an original place, and that was closed just 6 years or so ago.
End Quote
It was the idea of them going into the place like they did. I was joking about them being arrested at least I hope I was.
Most people wouldn't dare do what they both did that day. Who knows what is there now? Thanks to them there is a photograpic record of that day.

And I am sorry, but I am not so sure about that Bamboo Room, looks kinda newly renovated to me. For one thing, if it was originally called the Bamboo Room, where's the bamboo? :) You mean they tore out all the bamboo to make it look like a 30s speakeasy again?

End quote

What little I know of the Bamboo Room is from Humuhumu. She wrote on Critiki that the Bamboo Room was in the Lady Windmere. This was the name of the hotel until 1934 when it became the Georgian. The Speak Easy was probably remodeled after prohibition to the Bamboo Room and has since been remodeled back to the prohibition look. Maybe Humuhumu can chime in and add something?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-04-22 11:18 ]

WOW. Glad to see there is some interest in the history side. Bora Boris Thanks for the step by step. Curiosity hits me like a harpoon. This has sent me on many a dead end hunt and many good finds. It all starts with a little tease and then the fever sets in. Even asking family members for help can yield results. Much like Bongo Bungalow's sister Jan sent on a mission and turned up some great info on the Hawaiian Gardens. Go and visit grandma or that crazy aunt they may have stories or even treasure in the basement.

On 2009-04-21 17:14, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'd love some tips on contacting the owner & seeing if he'd allow me to explore.

I seem to have adopted a policy of asking for forgiveness rather than permission. I'm exceedingly shy, and have a really hard time talking to people I don't know.

I have noticed that the more outlandish my outfit is, the less I get hassled by apartment managers. When I'm dressed more conservatively, people tend to think that I work for a developer or someone who's trying to assess the property.

On 2009-04-22 14:08, Ojaitimo wrote:
Who knows what is there now?

Tim - Joe Banks and I snuck back into to the DTB at DCA back in January, and it's all still there. We did a thorough exploration and discovered even more cool stuff.

Here's another tip to help out in your research. May sound a bit dumb but pays off once in a while. Print up some calling cards on your computer. Business card size. Put your name and phone number and maybe an e-mail address or what ever your comfortable with on the card. Doesn't hurt to have a Tiki style image on it either. Many times when talking to people they may not remember some information until you have left. With any luck they will keep the card and be kind enough to give you a call. Can't hurt and they are even handy to stick in a door or mail box of a business you are looking for info on but no one is around. Give it a try you may be surprised.

UncleTrav,

Thanks for this post, it has inspired me. I had a meeting in downtown Santa Barbara today and stopped by the local library to peruse phone books. Found a bunch of cool stuff. No camera so I will have to go back.

Am plotting a "Discover Polynesian Pop in Santa Barbara" expedition for this weekend. Will post results.

DC

On 2009-04-22 16:33, Dustycajun wrote:
UncleTrav,
I had a meeting in downtown Santa Barbara today and stopped by the local library to peruse phone books. No camera so I will have to go back.

Thanks Dusty. Most Libraries have a photo copier for public use some are coin operated and others you pay the librarian. Ask around and they should be able to help you out. Keep us posted on the expedition!

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-22 16:51 ]

Here's some advice, when posting new places in Locating Tiki because of the way it's set up you cannot post pictures in your initial "Description" post, so pre-build as much as possible so that you’ll be ready to post quickly because if you don't post pictures or additional content within 4 minutes people will start spazzing out and start chiming in with crap.

I wish I were kidding. :roll:

As for the Spazzers, when you see a new thread appear in Locating Tiki why not wait 20 minutes before you “Add” anything to it.

On 2009-04-22 12:00, tikiyaki wrote:
I love the urban archaeology aspect of TC, and love posts by BigBro, Sabu,Bosko, TraderPup, Kate and Boris (even tho' he doesn't like me any more :( )

Tikiyaki I do like you although I think your signature is unnecessarily gigantic and totally inaccurate. Other than that we're good. :wink:

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-04-25 16:01 ]

M

I love the history aspect of tiki.

This thread and a few others have inspired me to "waste" about 3 days so far playing on google timeline. Found a ton of stuff and at least 3 unknown places, with lots more to come.

On 2009-04-25 15:58, Bora Boris wrote:
Tikiyaki I do like you although I think your signature is unnecessarily gigantic and totally inaccurate. Other than that we're good. :wink:

Tikiyaki,

I love your input on TC. I agree with Bora Boris on the signature thing, it would be great if you could make your tag a lot smaller. It takes up a whole page when you post two or three times.

Thanks

DC

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.