Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A Long Beach (former) Tiki Motel question...

Pages: 1 15 replies

D
Don-O posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2003 7:16 PM

Good Hello!

I recently took a day trip to Long Beach, CA to check out meny of the old buildings where I was remeinded of a Tiki motel that was locationed on P. C. H. just south of the P. C. H. traffic circle.

I remember this place as a old weekend trip destination my mother used to take with us kids (who where bored as hell in El Segundo) in the early 70's. I also remember a Tiki styled resturant up front as part to the motel complex.

Currently, it's a Ramada that's basically painted with the typical and traditional Peptmo Bismol Puke Pink.

I was told it might be have been called the Outrigger. I wonder if anybody on this board would know exactly what this place was and, if possible, have a pix or two of this posted anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Don-O

P. S.: I'll scare all of you with the "hi" message later.

T

Here's a postcard from the place you're referring to:

Here's a photo of the same view now:

And a matchbook:

It is currently the Guest House International Hotel

I know Sabu has even more info on this place, maybe he'll share too.

added: Matchbook for Mr. C's, the restaurant at the Outrigger:

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2003-04-02 21:59 ]

Welcome to the Board, Don-O!

You'll have to join us at one of our upcoming South-Bay tiki events.

Here are some photos from the Outrigger brochure. Some people used to just refer to it as "Mr C's" although I think there was another restaurant owned by "Mr C" in Long Beach as well - (Any info on that, Pup?). I'm just sorry I missed seeing this place in its heyday.

Sabu

You can see a Milan Guanko-carved tiki at the upper left-hand corner of this photo.

Sabu; the definitive collector of matchbooks, postcards, and brochures. .... seriously, you should see his binders full of 'em. Outta control.

Traderpup & Sabu, great work! As a native of Long Beach, I circumnavigated the dreaded traffic circle many times and exited onto the adjoining streets (sometimes weather I wanted to or not)but I definately remember tho Outrigger. Thanks for the memories. We're in the 21st century already...when is somebody going to invent that damn TIME MACHINE!!!

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-04-02 23:13 ]

M

growin' up in long beach, the adjacent liquore to the outrigger was very fake i.d. friendly - those are about my only memories, all of the rest is still a blur.

R
Reever posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2003 7:36 AM

WOW what a great looking place!

D
Don-O posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2003 9:23 PM

You'll have to join us at one of our upcoming South-Bay tiki events.

Here are some photos from the Outrigger brochure. Some people used to just refer to it as "Mr C's" although I think there was another restaurant owned by "Mr C" in Long Beach as well - (Any info on that, Pup?). I'm just sorry I missed seeing this place in its heyday.

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooly Guacomole!

Mondo Thanks for your photos! Too bad my mom dosen't have the internet or she'd got nuts too.

BTW, what IS this South Bay Tiki gathering you talking about? It'll be interesting to go to a "tiki gathering" in the middle of South Bay..especially if you live in a yuppie place like Manhattan Beach. I've always had a fantasy to live in Westchester/Playa Del Ray as a young kid. No doubt, it was from all of those tiki buildings.

Thanks again for sharing!

Getting off his highstool,
Don-O

Don O,

Expect a South Bay tiki bar/home bar crawl hosted by Doctor Z and myself sometime later this summer.

In the meantime, here's that Outrigger Motor Inn postcard on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2169592091&category=20198

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-04-11 18:15 ]

M

Was this place part of the Outrigger Motor Inn?

What's the story, denizens of the LBC?

What a great place. Does anyone know what the bowling alley (Java lanes) used to look like? They have a great Tahitian style roof.

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Aug 6, 2006 1:17 PM

I just received a brochure from the Outrigger Inn as a gift. I'm not sure if this is the same brochure Sabu posted 3 years ago (those pics are no longer available) but figured I'd share anyway.

H

Kenike, that brochure is gorgeous! Lucky you. Man, what a place that must have been -- so many details. Love that banquet room. Can you imagine if Oasis could have been held there?

..don't forget the huntington shores (sands) hotel.....it was shown in the first billy jack film, "born losers"...you catch a shot of the sign at one point in the film........I think i stayed there when i went to the leeteg shown a few years back....anyone know if it's still operational???? or even still standing???

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Aug 6, 2006 6:00 PM

On 2006-08-06 13:34, Humuhumu wrote:
Kenike, that brochure is gorgeous! Lucky you. Man, what a place that must have been -- so many details. Love that banquet room. Can you imagine if Oasis could have been held there?

I was just looking at Traderpup's "then" and "now" pictures of the pool area...what a loss.

Formerly known as "Juno"

[ Edited by: Kenike 2006-08-06 18:00 ]

Kenike -

Thanks for posting photos of that brochure. That is indeed the same one I posted 3 years ago - it's good to have working pictures again. Good job. That's one of the better pieces of Tiki paper out there, and very expensive on eBay, so someone gave you a great gift. It is really sad, though, to see what we lost. Long Beach had some really great tiki joints back in the day.

Thanks again,

Sabu

Pages: 1 15 replies