Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food / The straw question

Post #442265 by Chip and Andy on Tue, Mar 24, 2009 4:55 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2009-03-24 15:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is solely about the DIAMETER of the commonly used party straws today VS. the diameter of the straws used at the inception and at the peak of Polynesian mixology ---and the effect this difference might have on the taste experience.

Ohh..... that an easy one!

Straws were originally made of straw (duh moment), commonly from Rye Grass so the diameter was small, maybe half the size of today's common straw, or a wee-bit bigger than today's common sipper/stirrer.

In the very late 1800s some guy tried wrapping paper around a pencil to make paper straws (link included in earlier post) and they were 'well received' by the local drinkers. After some retooling of his factory, Paper Straws were all the rage! These straws were of a smaller diameter that today's typical party straws, mostly because they were made of waxed paper that was overlapped into spiral pattern and then cut. The inner-diameter of the straw was smaller because of the layers of paper.

Bendy-Straws didn't come around until the late 30's, which would be about right for the birth of Tiki Drinks, so I am sure they were used in many bars in many drinks. I haven't seen any pictures with bendy-straws so I am going to suggest simply that they weren't bent when the photos were taken.

Now, if you have ever tried to drink a milk shake through a straw you know two things.... first you probably understand slushy-freeze-brain, but that is a different discussion. Second, you understand that trying to suck a Wendy's Frosty through a straw risks turning your head inside out through your mouth.

Solution? Use TWO Straws.

How does this affect your drinking enjoyment, and thus answer the question at hand........

it doesn't.

The fact that you are drinking from a straw will have an effect on your drink.... the straw allows the drink to enter your mouth and hit the middle of your tongue first which gives the sour-taste-buds first crack at the drink instead of the sweet-taste-buds on the front of your tongue. Try it, you'll be surprised how you perceive the drink and what order the flavors come up.

The size of bore of your straw, however, will have little effect on the actual taste or enjoyment of your drink. Unless you are using a small-bore straw in a slushy drink, or a large bore straw in a pulpy-fruity drink. The first makes you work too hard, the second risks blocking he straw with the pulp.

I challenge each of you to make your next drink and try it with, and then without a straw.

Then! report back your findings.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-03-24 16:56 ]