Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Euro Exotica

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 2:14 PM

Aloha all! Here I will post my humble collection of Exotica and Hawaiana records made in the old continent. Please collaborate. (That means you Mister Naufrago, Virani and all the Euros)

Eden's Island by Eden Ahbez "Nature Boy"
Out of print, impossible to find, Made in Spain.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 11:26 PM

Le Sacre du Savage (Ritual of the Savage) El Sacrilegio de el Salvage

Les Baxter and his orchestra
Made in Spain
The best thing about this records is that the names and descriptions of the songs were translated to Spanish and sometimes, the translators got "creative" and made a freeform version of the text, sometimes, even better than the original.
The "wooden frame" is part of the cover art, it is printed that way.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 11:32 PM

Another interesting thing about Euro Exotica is the cover art... Sometimes is the same used in The U.S.A. Some other times is something better and a few times it's just bizarre.

Arthur Lyman
Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 9:39 AM

Yma Sumac

Con Plumas
Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 9:42 AM

Voodo Party

Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 9:46 AM

Vintage coaster from a Polynesian Bar in Spain

I "guess" That is where they got "inspired" from for the cover of the record posted above.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 9:56 AM

Aloha Amigos!

Arthur Lyman
Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 9:59 AM

Al Caiola

Extranos en el paraiso
Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 10:11 AM

Tabou

Les sons exotiques d' Arthur Lyman
Double L.P.
Made in France

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 10:15 AM

Il etait une fois

Marcel Bianchi
Made in France

I think I am going to love this this thread.
Only wish I could turn the audio on.

Latina tiki goddess, believe or not, made in France.

Vacaciones (holidays) in Hawaii

[ Edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-02-26 11:25 ]

On 2009-02-26 09:56, Zeta wrote:
Aloha Amigos!

Arthur Lyman
Made in Spain

Aloha Amicci! Made in Italy

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 12:47 PM

Nice Mister Naufrago! I know you have a killer collection... Though, not as good as mine. 8)
Aloha Hawaii

The Hawaiian Serenaders
Made in Italy
I guess the hula girl was made in Italy too... And that is one strange flower lay!

WOW!!!! :o

I love those Arthur Lyman cover variations!!!

I have a Taboo album with an atomic bomb cover and a different Bwana A cover as well. Both Italian!

Any more out there?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

P.S. Let me know if anyone wants to sell any of those. :wink:

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 1:25 PM

Gracias Jeff! There are more...
Tabou

Arthur Lyman
Made in France

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 1:32 PM

Los coros y orquestas de Les Baxter

Hecho en España

Here's the Italian copy of Taboo............

Pretty scary huh?

Never see that Baxter LP either, cool!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2009 4:07 PM

That cover is insane! What does Exotica/primitive has to do with nuclear holocaust? I know the french did some testing in the bikini atoll but those two concepts don't mix for me... That is really taboo for me! As Un-tiki as it gets!

K

Has anyone seen the European copy of Milt Raskin's exotica LP?...in the U.S. it was released under a few titles by Crown "Exotic Sounds Of Hawaii","Kapu", & "Exotic Percussion" but the European one has a different title and nice cover...can't recall the title at the moment but I've seen it on ebay now just a few times at a high price. I wonder if it would be a cleaner copy/better quality vinyl to record?
Now that I FINALLY have a digital camera (a bold move into the 21st century....this Christmas brought me both a digital camera and an Ipod..how did I EVER live without an Ipod??), I'll have to post a few pics of some the BEAUTIFUL Eurpean exotica LPS..and South American too.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2009-02-28 22:10 ]

On 2009-02-26 16:07, Zeta wrote:
What does Exotica/primitive has to do with nuclear holocaust? I know the french did some testing in the bikini atoll but those two concepts don't mix for me... That is really taboo for me! As Un-tiki as it gets!

I'll bite!

You answered your own question already, bikini - a Polynesian atoll and a daring risque piece of beach wear, a garment so exotic that it could only come from a place so remote that you can yest atomic bombs, and as a garment as sexually explosive that its measured in megatonnes of hubba-hubba-hey-hey.
Don't think of it as nuclear holocaust but as Atomic Testing, the daring future world of 50's modernism (chapter eight of tiki modern), think Thunderbirds atomic age spaceships on a Polynesian island.

C´est chic, C´est exotique

Picked these two up in Paris a few years back...the first one is a French band on a British label...the second is a label based in Tahiti

V
virani posted on Wed, Mar 4, 2009 9:51 AM

Great LPs. I have plenty of Manuiti records, but the Tiki's, I only have it on CD. Great find. I'd love to find it.
Oh, I have those Lyman. I have to look at my french released exotica LPs...
There's a cool thread about that cover.

V

Another Tabou variation, made in France.

V

"MUSIQUE EXOTIQUE"

V

Quiet Village, also made in France. With french comments on Martin Denny on the back

V

The best real Exotica from France, of course :

V

hey, I also have that Spanish Eden's island version...

Here's a german's Hawaiian LP. I love it. Kahuna Kaventzmann has a great euro exotica collection too, oh, and I of course have plenty of Tahitian records, but not truly exotica.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 9:55 PM

On 2009-03-01 10:45, atomictonytiki wrote:

On 2009-02-26 16:07, Zeta wrote:
What does Exotica/primitive has to do with nuclear holocaust? I know the french did some testing in the bikini atoll but those two concepts don't mix for me... That is really taboo for me! As Un-tiki as it gets!

I'll bite!

You answered your own question already, bikini - a Polynesian atoll and a daring risque piece of beach wear, a garment so exotic that it could only come from a place so remote that you can yest atomic bombs, and as a garment as sexually explosive that its measured in megatonnes of hubba-hubba-hey-hey.
Don't think of it as nuclear holocaust but as Atomic Testing, the daring future world of 50's modernism (chapter eight of tiki modern), think Thunderbirds atomic age spaceships on a Polynesian island.

Now, that is an answer! you are right, I finally see the light!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:04 PM

Virani and Kon-Tiki Viking, nice records! Keep them coming! Even if they are not exotica... Tahitian, Hapa haole or hawaiana... all wellcome here.
Hawaii Tattoo

The waikiki's
I love this cover...
Born in the U.K.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:12 PM

The Knightsbridge strings Hawaii

Hawaii
Made in Spain
If anybody knows anything about this bands, please share the knowledge. If you have a different version of the same album, please post it too!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:15 PM

Wout Steenhuis se encuentra con the kontikis en Hawaii

Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:25 PM

Los indios trabajaras

Songs of the islands
Made in Spain

Los Indios Tabajaras are two guitar playing brothers from northern Brazil.

Their beginnings are not clear, though most stories have them becoming accomplished guitar players after finding a guitar near Ceará, Brazil. Playing in Rio de Janeiro, they found success as Natalicio and Antenor Lima - dressing in ceremonial Indian costumes. Using classical guitars and playing transcriptions of classical violin and piano works, they were soon playing all over South America.

Probably as early as 1943, RCA's Latin American arm signed them to a recording contract. In the early 1950s, they took a break from performing and went back to study the guitar. After returning to the stage later that same decade, they released an album in the United States on an RCA-owned label named Vox.

Throughout this period, they had a steady stream of releases on RCA in Mexico and one of these, a Mexican folk tune named "Maria Elena" (named after the wife of a Mexican president and recorded in 1958), became a steady seller, a success throughout Latin America and was finally re-released in the U.S. in 1962. It spent 14 weeks in the U.S. Top 10 and had similar success in the United Kingdom. Los Indios Tabajaras continued to tour throughout the Americas and Europe and in 1964 they had another release, "Always in My Heart". This failed to replicate the success of "Maria Elena" though it did make the Billboard Hot 100.

Their fluent guitar playing caught the ear of Chet Atkins and, along with pianist Floyd Cramer, they recorded an instrumental album in Nashville, Tennessee. They also recorded and released material with singer Don Gibson, including the song "Oh Lonesome Me".

RCA released albums by Los Indios Tabajaras into the 1980s. Though Antenor retired from performing, Natalicio Lima continued to perform into the 1990s with his wife, Michiko.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:32 PM

South Sea Island Magic

The Waikiki Beach Boys
Made in the U.K.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:35 PM

Waikiki Hawaii Sound

Made in Spain
Probably the worst record cover art ever done.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:41 PM

Hawaiian Nights

The Waikiki Islanders

If you know something about this bands, please illustrate me!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:43 PM

Magico Hawaii

Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:51 PM

Werner Muller y su orquesta

Swing Hawaiano
Made in Spain
One of my favorite records...

From http://www.spaceagepop.com

Space Age Music Maker
Werner Müller

• Born 2 August 1920, Berlin, Germany
  • Died 28 December 1998, Cologne, Germany

Werner MüllerWho was/is Werner Müller? Well, he contributed numerous albums to London's Phase Four label, the longest-running of the Space Age Bachelor Pad series. But thanks to London's standard approach to liner notes, although we know exactly what channelization was used and what other Phase Four records were available, we are left knowing nothing of Werner Müller.

Fortunately, we don't have to depend on London for details. European light music fans came to know Müller from his many years as director of two of the leading popular radio orchestras in Germany. From 1948 to 1967, he led the Tanzorchester for the powerful station RIAS in Berlin. Bear Family collected a number of RIAS Tanzorchester recordings from the 1950s on Blende Auf. While with RIAS, he became associated with the singer Caterina Valente, whose cover of "Malaguena" was an international success. In an odd flip-flop, several collections of French, Italian, and other national tunes Müller recorded for Decca were released in Europe under the name of "Ricardo Santos," but in the U.S. under Müller's own name, as part of a series of "Musical Holiday" albums tied-in with the travel magazine, Holiday.

In 1967, Müller moved to Cologne to take over the Tanzorchester of radio station WDR, which had an even larger audience. Müller ensured his tenure with a versatile and perfectionist approach to his material, and as a result, his recorded material can be bold or boring, based on what the contract called for. On Hawaiian Swing, for example, he plays with right-left separation and tosses in an enjoyable assortment of percussion effects to liven up the usual selection of Hawaiian standards. On Percussion in the Sky, he uses wordless vocals, sound effects, whistling, and other touches to lend an other-worldly feeling to numbers like "The Theme from The High and the Might." In contrast, on albums like Werner Müller Plays Leroy Anderson or Great Strauss Waltzes, there's not much to write home about.

"Bodybuilder," from one of Müller's later albums, The Strip Goes On, was sampled as the basis for the song "Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out" by Bentley Rhythm Ace, a big club hit in the U.K. in 1997.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 10:57 PM

Luna de miel en Hawaii

Made in Spain

The Waikikis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Hawaii Tattoo. Courtesy Dick Fijnheer (original artwork)

The Waikikis were a Belgian studio band, mostly known for their single "Hawaii Tattoo", released in the U.S. in 1964, on Kapp Records. "Hawaii Tattoo" was recorded in 1961 in Belgium and spent two months in the Belgian chart. It was a huge hit in Germany, spending 21 weeks in the Top Ten and also reached the Top Fifty in the U.S., Canada and the UK.

The album Hawaii Tattoo reached the number 93 spot in the Billboard Hot 200 in 1965.

Behind the scenes, record producer Horst Fuchs promoted the band’s career and pulled the strings. Composers such as Jo van Wetter, Willy Albimoor, Hans Blum and Michael Thomas (the famous Martin Böttcher) created songs like "Hawaii Tattoo","Carnival of Venice","Mein Hut der hat drei Ecken","Aloha Parade","Honolulu Parade" and "Waikiki Welcome". The Waikikis sold their colorful island reveries by the millions and some of their own creations like "Hilo Kiss" or "Hula-Hochzeit" ("Hawaii Honeymoon") even made their way into the charts in several countries.

In 2004 the song "Hawaiian March" was used for the ‘Prince Paul's Bubble Party’ track on the SpongeBob SquarePants Movie film soundtrack.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 11:02 PM

Amor en Hawaii

Pacific Serenaders
Made in Spain

What's their story? Jeff Central?

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 11:07 PM

Hawaii beach party

The Waikikis
Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 11:09 PM

Golden Hawaiian

Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 11:14 PM

South Pacific

Made in Spain

José Carreras
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
José Carreras backstage at the Royal Albert Hall, 11 December 2001

Josep Maria Carreras i Coll (born 5 December 1946, Barcelona), better known as José Carreras, is a Spanish Catalan tenor. One of the most prominent opera singers of his generation, and particularly eminent in the operas of Verdi and Puccini, his career has encompassed over 60 roles on stage and in the recording studio. He gained fame with a wider audience as one of The Three Tenors along with Plácido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti in a series of mass concerts that began in 1990 and continued until 2003.[1] Carreras is also known for his humanitarian work as the president of the José Carreras International Leukemia Foundation (La Fundació Internacional Josep Carreras per a la Lluita contra la Leucèmia), which he established following his own recovery from the disease in 1988.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 11:16 PM

Blue Hawai

Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 11:20 PM

Werner Muller y su orquesta

Hawai
Made in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 11:23 PM

The Waikiki beach boys