Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Let's play another round of Tiki Sleuth!

Pages: 1 8 replies

So...I was reading the liner notes to Leonard Cohen's "Death of a Ladies' Man" and noticed that the cover photo was attributed to an "anonymous roving photographer at a forgotten Polynesian restaurant" and yes indeedy...there's a drink in a ceramic coconut on the table.

But that's about it...there's not a hell of a lot otherwise. So anyone care to guess in which restaurant this was taken? I'm gonna guess "The Luau" based on the coconut vessel, but wot-do-eye-no?

Interestingly, ol' Lenny has been linked to Tiki before...witness this Shag painting which immortalizes an important moment in LC's musical career:

(Thanks Sweet Daddy Tiki!)

And I'll always love his version of "Moon of Manakoora"

Huh, how bout that? I must have looked at that Death of a Ladies' Man cover a thousand times and never noticed that coconut mug before. Thank YOU, slacks.

BTW, the Shag painting is called "Leonard Cohen Composes 'Chelsea Hotel No. 2' At A Polynesian Bar In Miami".

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2013-01-29 17:11 ]

Slacks - I agree with the Luau guess. The album was recorded in Los Angeles in 1977, and that does look an awful lot like the Steve Crane Coconut Mug. (Photo from the collection of Benehune.)

This should be in "Main" not "Bilge!"

I got some Eli pics that need some explanin' too!

Yeah, I meant for this to be in the main forum, but I just effed-up when I posted it...oh well. Maybe if everyone does that U-Moderate thingy, we'll convince one of the moderaters to move it?

I'm reading a new biography of Leonard Cohen called "I'm Your Man" by Sylvie Simmons and there's another picture of Lenny in an unnamed Tiki restaurant:

It's captioned "Leonard and Suzanne, Miami, 1973". The woman is Suzanne Elrod, the mother of Cohen's children Adam and Lorca (but not the Suzanne of the song of that name).

Any guesses on the location?

Okay just guessing but with bowleggedness of the Tiki near the table and the presence of non handled tea cups. I'm going with the Luau in Miami Beach?

Great guess Boris, I concur,

Nice work, Mr. Boris!

Pages: 1 8 replies