Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Photos of the Aloha & Kahala Barcelona

Pages: 1 19 replies

Aloha first:

Hey, I found it!

The birds were there at the Aloha entrance, but what happened to the turtles?

Welcome to the Aloha!

Awaiting the order. I'm terrible at names, but he turned out to be a great guy, and spent his dinner break chatting to me.

Note menu cover and Aloha ashtray

Part of the bar

Great statue!

Trader Woody taking over bar duties (It was a quiet night!)

Even the back door is Tiki.
I've some more from the Aloha on another roll of film, so those to come. I've higher res pics if anyone wants a more detailed look.

Trader Woody

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Mar 21, 2003 2:41 PM

nice pics Trader Woody. I could hang out there!

Now the Kahala:

The entrance

The incredible Maori tile feature at the entrance

Close-up of the bar

Anyone want a straw?

Incredible door behind the bar

Woody picking up a couple of local wahines

Whoops! It's the barmen and their girlfriends

Neat little Tiki

Time to phone a taxi. Note the carvings on the side.

Trader Woody

Oy!
Tahanks for posting Woody!
I cant get enough of those pics.
The tiki mugs alone are making me dizzy.
How could you leave without stocking up on every single one of those wild mug designs?

I'm goin to Spain baby!

oops

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2003-03-21 16:00 ]

double oops

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2003-03-21 15:59 ]

Well, I did come back with a few!
If the Aloha (Which sells them from a display case) took plastic, the haul would have been huge. Instead, I could only choose what I could afford with the Euros in my pocket. Ah, well.

Trader Woody

AWSOME!

What sort of prices were the mugs, I've almost got the wife convinced that Barcelona will be our holiday destination. I just have to convince her it won't just be one huge tiki hunting trip.

OK, I'm warming up more and more to the idea of being in Spain for all of June (thus missing Hukilau) than I was before! I am now officially FIGHTING to be the teacher that takes the kids to Barcelona the middle weekend, too (versus taking the other half to Segovia, which I've seen).

And those ARE cool mugs! I only see one that I already have, procured from an earlier trip to a barely tiki bar, the Tahiti, in Fuengirola, Southern Spain. (The whole town was full of Brits and Germans, Trader Woody; every bar was a brathaus or a karaoke bar with selections by Bananarama and Status Quo!). It's the same mug that Otto also had - the one that's a bamboo mug with a face/mask attached to the lower half, with the mouth sorta saying "ooh". (I wrote some about this on an earlier thread about Madrid's Maona Loa, I think.) I got one of the giant volcanos too, though, which was to serve something like 10 people (with those 3 foot long straws).

Both Barcelona bars look not only GORgeous, but also like they're run by some fun folks, too. yay!

NOW watch the war cancel out the Spain trip, just as I warm to being there, and too late to get into Hukilau as a back-up plan. Would that not be the Ultimate Suck? (Boy, talk about a selfish reason to hate war; "It ruins my party plans! Whine!" Ha! I'm not that bad, really!)

Thanks so much for the amazing pictures!!! I want to head for Spain, too!

Now I wonder about tiki bars in Italy and Greece...hmmm.

Miss Formica, should the worst happen and your trip is cancelled, I humbly suggest that it is NEVER too late to get into Hukilau. Not for you, anyway!

However, if the Spain trip is a go, I suspect I won't be the only one humbly begging for a Spanish tiki mug (with commission included of course) 8)

Either way, you're set for some serious partying, war or not...(I know, I'm not quite that bad, either--but almost...)

--Lisa

You're a honey, Tikivixen (about Hukilau)! Yeah, can't you just see me and my CRATE of mugs, trying to get through customs! Otto said he had his entire carry-on filled with all the mugs he could carry. I KNOW I'll be doing the same (as I did last time), except that I also had a large Moroccan platter, a plate, mug, & small pitcher from Granada, and lots (tons!) of other unbreakables. I left behind my towels and other stuff that simply took up room in my suitcase. The chambermaids at that last hotel had a field day from our group's final packing!

This time, I'm gonna be trying to get a coupla dozen mugs, plus a bottle of absinthe for Basement Kahuna, and who knows what else. I wonder if I could pay the kids to smuggle a few extra mugs in for me ("Hey, kid, wanna get an 'A' next year?")...

Atomictonytiki,

These mugs cost about 14-18 Euros each. There are a couple which cost more. Some are not for sale.
Barcelona wasn't quite as cool as I expected. It's a bit 'Up it's own arse', but undoubtably worth a weekend.

Formikahini,
2 Dozen mugs?! Good luck! I was only over for the weekend and had space for 4 mugs, a Moai pisco bottle and some strange booze.
(Absinthe - 19 Euros a bottle)

Trader Woody

My brother just did a semester in Spain and I convinced him to find the tiki bars for me and bring me back something. Most of the bars were to far away for him to go to but he made it to a place called the Bora Bora. He said the decor was real cool and drank out of scorpion bowls. Anyway, he ended up bringing me a moai looking mug from there. Real cool too. Great pics, it looks like you had fun.

Trader Woody originaly printed this link. You can see the cool and different mugs up close.
http://www.hula-hula.com/cocktails.htm
Mahalo,
Al

Trader Woody originaly printed this link. You can see the cool and different mugs up close.
http://www.hula-hula.com/cocktails.htm
Mahalo,
Al

On 2003-03-23 11:00, Trader Woody wrote:
These mugs cost about 14-18 Euros each. There are a couple which cost more. Some are not for sale.
Formikahini,
2 Dozen mugs?! Good luck! I was only over for the weekend and had space for 4 mugs, a Moai pisco bottle and some strange booze.
(Absinthe - 19 Euros a bottle)

Hmmm...quite a bit more than I expected to actually spend for each (I'm afraid mine from my previous summer there were ill gotten - "gifts" from the undergrads on the trip, helping themselves to the 5-fingered discount as they called it!)

But regarding space - no amateur here! I'll have my huge bag for the 4 week trip, which will once again be evacuated of any unnecessary return objects (e.g. my towels, purchased cheap for the trip, for the purpose of being ejected for the return trip), and my large-as-possible carry-on. The purse can hold another mug. There's ALways room for one more mug!

So now the trick will be how to sweet talk those cuuute bartenders in Barcelona into giving me a considerable discount if I buy in bulk! Pull the Southern Belle thing? The tiki-lovers-of-the-world-unite thing? The I'll-trade-ya-one-of-my-students-for-those-mugs thing?

And that link to the mugs and drinks - Whoa! Those are inCREDible mugs! Maybe trade a hula dance per mug...hmmm...I gotta work on this. Any insight you can give would be appreciated, Trader Woody!

KK

Formikahini- PLEASE don't let it be a question of funding which stops you from a massive Spanish tiki glom! I for one would surely help out in sponsoring your hunt, if necessary, and don't forget about the wonder of shipping to keep from having to "manhandle" all that swag back to the states (but of course you've already thought of that I'm sure).

Trader Woody

Absinthe - 19 Euros a bottle, well that might put a crimp on how many mugs i bring back :)
when i was on honeymoon last year my wife laffed at me for only half filling my rucksack with clothes when we left home, but I was the one laffing when we managed to cram 16 1.5 liter bottles of spirits into our bags for taking back home.

Here's a couple more Aloha Bar photos:

The Bar

TW in the Yul Brynner seat

The barmen - Note mugs for sale in the case behind!

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 19 replies