Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / JOHN-O's Las Vegas (& Honolulu pg 8) Thread

Post #566634 by JOHN-O on Fri, Nov 26, 2010 8:54 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J

Thanks Spike. Also thanks msteeln for your local's perspective on my posts.

To add some Tiki significance to the shenanigans I saw in Da Big Kahuna, prostitution is not without historical precedence in the Tiki bar. Didn't Stephen Crane used to run high-priced hookers out of his Luau restaurant in Beverly Hills ?? :D

OK, let's proceed on to...

"Honolulu Confidential" Part 6 of 10

This next post is well covered ground here, so let me try to give it a unique spin...

You know, it's easy to bash Waikiki these days, with all of the on-going over-development and destruction of its past history. Also many poo-poo Oahu overall, and search out their true Hawaii experience on places like Kauai and the Big Island. Now I'm a BIG fan of the outer islands but I can also appreciate Honolulu for its unique qualities. For one thing, it's the most remote metropolis on the entire planet. Also in addition to Miami, I consider it one of the most exotic cities in the United States.

So by now, most will assume my definitive Hawaii experience is to get drunk in some dirty old bar off the beaten path. Well it's not. My definitive Hawaii experience is to enjoy fine cocktails in one of Waikiki's historic hotels along the beach, just like visitors have done since the 1930's. The sound of rolling waves, the warm trade winds blowing, and the timeless view of Diamond Head haven't changed since that time.

And there's (almost) no better place to experience that than the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Its fake (to Hawaii) Spanish Moor architecture is now classic and old-school. And its Mai Tai Bar is the birthplace of that classic drink (yes I'm joking but that's what 90% of the tourists think).

I remember drinking at the Mai Tai Bar back in the early 90's. Those Tropical drinks could rival those of Tiki Ti in terms of potency, but then something happened along the way. As recently as 5 years ago those drinks seemed to have gone downhill. I'm happy to report from this recent trip, that a new bar manager has brought high-end mixology back to the Pink Palace. Check out a sample of the new menu...

I started out with the classic "scratch" Mai Tai.

It was tasty but since I'm spoiled by the super strong Hawaiian Mai Tai at Santa Monica's Galley, I wasn't blown away.

My bartender asked "How do you like it?". I replied "It's good but I prefer it without the pineapple juice". He then offered to switch it out for a Trader Vic's recipe one. (!!) As I enjoyed that 2nd cocktail, I told him I was impressed he knew the difference. He replied "Even though it's not on the menu, we're trained for it. Also if you want the Don the Beachcomber recipe, we do that off the menu as well using homemade falernum." (!!!) He also offered an original Mai Tai recipe of theirs that won a local award where they burn one of the ingredients first. (???) Wow, you could probably spend a majority of your drinking vacation just at this bar. But FYI, the cocktails ain't cheap.

The other classic place for cocktails at the beach is the House Without a Key at the Halekulani.

It's almost become a cliche that they have the best Mai Tai in Hawaii. Let me cut to the chase here...

IT'S TRUE !!

As my friends sipped the cocktail for the first time, you could see the same look of astonishment on their faces. "Whoa, that's good !!" was the universal response. FYI, if the House Without a Key outdoor lounge is not open, you can get the same cocktail in the upscale Lewers Lounge inside the hotel.

A couple from Long Beach sitting next to us acknowledged our enjoyment of the Mai Tais. The gentleman added "If you like that Mai Tai, I know of another good one in Waikiki." When I asked where, he said "At the Jimmy Buffett restaurant next to the International Market Place". I was incredulous but I did take it down as a mental note.

Here's something else I want to share about the House Without a Key. I consider that experience even more classic and timeless than the Royal Hawaiian Hotel's outdoor patio. I think it has to do with that 300-year old Kiawe (not Banyon) tree where Hawaiian musicians perform nightly. This would be the perfect spot for the Smokin' Menehunes. When I see them play in So CA, I'm transported back to this exact place !!

Coming up next... "In search of Jimmy Buffett" :o

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-11-27 15:41 ]