Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / JOHN-O's Las Vegas (& Honolulu pg 8) Thread

Post #520013 by Atomic Tiki Punk on Thu, Mar 25, 2010 11:59 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2009-12-21 17:33, JOHN-O wrote:
Las Vegas Trip Report (Part 1)

You know here on Tiki Central, I don't think we spend enough time talking about science. You're in luck because my latest post is about my recent visit to the Atomic Testing Museum.

This museum documents the history of nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site in the desert north of Las Vegas. The exhibits focus on the science and technology aspect but also the cultural impact of the Cold War.

In the early days of the atmospheric tests, Las Vegas used it as a tourist attraction where visitors could take time away from the tables to view the atomic blasts. Our government assured the public there were no health risks, so why not celebrate with Atomic parties serving Atomic cocktails. Look it's Miss Atomic Bomb of 1958 !!

The museum doesn't allow photography of the main exhibits, but I've included some images of the building, lobby, and temporary exhibits. Here's a picture of a nuclear test at the Bikini Atoll.

Who knows what the effects of this testing were? :)

So what else does this have to do with Tiki? Well classic Tiki-style did originate during the 1950's Atomic Age. I might also argue that the mid-century popularity of Tiki was an escapist cultural response to the growing threat of Cold War nuclear annihilation. Could it be that Nikita Khrushchev was as much an influence on Tiki culture as Don Beach or Trader Vic? :)

Also did you ever notice that while the beginning of the Cold War gave birth to classic Tiki-style, it was just after the collapse of that threat when the current Tiki Revival began. The Soviet Union fell in 1991 and the following year, BigBro gave his first public lecture on Tiki-style. Is this just a coincidence or is there some strange relationship between Communist world domination and Tiki? I'll leave that philosophic discussion for another thread.

So fellow Tikiphiles, I encourage you to visit this fascinating place. Afterwards, you can go straight to Frankie's where you can raise your Tiki mug to toast Tiki's perseverance over nuclear armageddon. You can then make it a complete atomic afternoon by ending the day at Atomic Liquors on East Fremont.

(BTW, contrary to popular belief, Atomic Liquors never hosted blast viewing parties on the roof. :()

The Atomic Testing Museum is located on 755 E Flamingo Rd, just 1 mile east of the Strip.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-21 19:20 ]

So you figured it out John-O, I was born at the times you are mentioning, my TC name is Atomic Tiki Punk, I am a Radioactive slam dancing
cold warrior and those Atomic Tiki pictures need to be my logos!

can you keep a secret?