Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Philadelphia Tiki Event - Saturday, November 15

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hello all, I have been asked to assist a Philadelphia bar and a rum producer to put on a tiki event in Philly on Saturday, Nov 15.

I was telling them about Tiki Central and the tiki community in general and they both want to find ways to connect more and give us events we would enjoy (I told them about how most "tiki" events come off a little too "Jimmy Buffett-y" and yes, there is a difference).

Details to come in the next day or two, but I wanted to put this message out there to gauge interest and solicit any ideas that folks may have about what they would like to see at such an event. Anything from serving pu-pu's, presenting some tiki/poly-pop history, a discussion of tiki drink mixology, or whatever.

In general, the idea will be to have some classic tiki drinks (maybe some new interpretations too), exotica music, proper kitschy video on the walls as background, etc. and whatever other do-able ideas you may have (besides free drinks).

This is initially being planned as a one-time event, but could be repeated with interest.

More to come...

Where will this event be held? Id say cocktails made by someone who has a clue and pays attention would be the most important thing. Thats what I'd like to see anyhow.

Agreed on the cocktail front - this event will be held at Apothecary, a bar that takes it's cocktails seriously and will be sponsored by Rhum Clement - well, we know they're good.

Sorry for the delay in posting this flier - a bit of island time I guess. Hopefully some folks can come out and support this first foray into tiki...

BTW - not sure what tales of tiki lore I will be telling. Maybe I will talk about the "before time" when Trader Vics did not look like Vegas ultra-lounges...

K

Philadelphia, here we come!

M

I'm putting this on my zebra striped calendar as we speak and will be spreading the word!

Looks like we're in!

I think I'm going. My brother-in-law lives in Media PA. I will drive there Saturday morning. Should I drive into Philly from there or take the train?

H

On 2008-11-11 19:18, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
I think I'm going. My brother-in-law lives in Media PA. I will drive there Saturday morning. Should I drive into Philly from there or take the train?

Depends how late you want to stay. Last train out would be about 12:00-12:30. If you plan on leaving before 12:00, I'd take the train in.

M

It was wonderful to meet you all last night at Apotiki- Hope the rain didn't dampen the rest of the evening!

K

A few pics of the festivities at "Apotiki"

New York Gang- "Going Where The Tiki Takes Us"

Shake It Baby!

Mod Betty Joins the Fun!

Aloha!

Prohibition-era Cocktails at the Southwark Cafe

Philly's Tiki Tattoo

Thank you Leisure Master, Clement Rum et al.
Philadelphia, we'll be back!

M

Glad you folks made it to Southwark- hope you enjoyed it! I'm heading to Boston on Friday for the LUPEC (Ladies United to Preserve Endangered Cocktails) USO show and hope to swing a visit to some of my beloved Tiki while I am up there!

On 2008-11-18 18:58, modbetty wrote:
I'm heading to Boston on Friday for the LUPEC (Ladies United to Preserve Endangered Cocktails) USO show and hope to swing a visit to some of my beloved Tiki while I am up there!

I wanted to go to that, but I have to be in NYC Saturday morning. Please let us know how it is and enjoy!

Pages: 1 11 replies