Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki / Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 01-09-20)

Post #512903 by Dustycajun on Tue, Feb 23, 2010 5:42 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2009-12-15 23:10, artsnyder wrote:
To all our Tiki Central Friends:
The collection is a fine one and is almost complete. But there is one matchbook missing: The one that should be listed as Number 24.
That matchbook is from the Don the Beachcomber Bar, located inside my restaurant "Royal Star at The Venetian," in the Venetian Hotel on the Strip in Las Vegas from 2004 to 2006. I have a number of the matchbooks from that short-lived enterprise, that I followed with the establishment of Don the Beachcomber in Surf City, USA.
If any one of you would like to complete your collection with a matchbook that had a very short run, and that your friends probably never heard of, just come in to the Dagger Bar, haver two drinks, and ask Marie for one. Heck, you'll carry away 2 Swizzle Sticks, 2 Bar Coasters, and a very scarce collector's match book. Vot a deal! And for Don the Beachcomber's real friends, I'll look up some of the napkins from the 2004-2006 Las Vegas Don the Beachcomber and give you a certificate of authenticity if you like.
Mahalo!
ART SNYDER
DON THE BEACHCOMBER

Art,

Sorry to wait so long to officially add your Don the Beachcomber Bar to the list, I kept waiting for someone to post a picture of the matchbook you so graciously offered to give folks who stopped by. I am in Santa Barbara and have not been down that way for some time, do try to save me one though as I will be attending Bamboo Ben's Garage Sale in May and would love to have a couple of drinks and pick one up. Your LV location is actually number 25!

On to a few more new items.

Some photos of the other Las Vegas DTB with a little bit different view of that gawdauwful interior and an exterior night time shot.

I have been asked by several folks to post the rest of the article from the 1948 Saturday Evening Post on DTB and Sunny Sund. It is quite long so I am going to do it in installments.

Here is the front page I posted before:

Some more of the story.

It is quite a fascinating read .... stay tuned more to come.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2010-03-08 17:14 ]