Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Restaurants • The Big Ten • Middle of the Night update for DC!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

Obviously we have the Big 3

1. Don The Beachcomber
  2. Trader Vic's
  3. Steve Crane and Associates (The Luau, Kon Tiki, Kon Tiki Ports, Ports O'Call)

What I'm curious about is which other places had mugs, swizzles and tableware? (Not including salt & pepper shakers)

I have extended the list to the Big 10 which is great but there has to be more ~

1. Aku Aku
  2. Kona Kai
  3. Mai-Kai
  4. Kahiki
  5. Pub Tiki
  6. The Mauna Loa
  7. Ren Clark's Polynesian Village

I'll use the Hawaiian Inn as an example - they had mugs and swizzle’s but did they have dishes?

• Did the Mauna Loa have dishes? Yes, yes they did.
• Did Ren Clark's Polynesian Village have swizzles? Yes, see page 5.
• Did Harvey’s have plates?
• Did the Hawaii Kai have a swizzle? Yes, a wooden one.

Lot’s of questions but I want answers, photographic example answers!

Also I know the Castaways in Miami had plates, swizzles and mugs but I’m not counting that one yet. Oh and please enjoy my bossy tone. :)

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-07-16 11:26 ]

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-08-27 02:25 ]

A good question, and I am looking forward to everybody's lists. To ad up the various (preferably logo-Tiki) artifacts that a Tiki place produced is a good yardstick. Another is their stylistic elaborateness (A-frames, waterfalls, dioramas,etc.) combined with their Tipsy (James Teitelbaum's Tikis-per-square-yard factor). But then there is something less tangible, which is their regional influence. The latter is what I refer to in the Book of Tiki as "Tiki power-places".

While Tiki temples like the Mai Kai and the Kahiki are clear examples of both, elaborate execution of the style and having been a mecca for Tiki revelers near and far, there are places like the Lanai in San Mateo or the Jade East in Tulsa who might have been not quite the million dollar Polynesian palaces, but which had a marked influence on the area where they were located.

This factor is of course harder to determine than the amount of ephemera from a place found today, so please do not let that keep you from compiling a list of the Tiki places YOU most value. :)

So my list is:

1. Don's
  2. Vic's
  3. Steve's
  4. The Tikis
  5. Mai Kai
  6. Kahiki
  7. Kona Kais
  8. Hawaii Kai
  9. Ren Clark's
  10. Tiki Bob's

i know Jardin Tiki, Montreal, Quebec, Canada has plates, coffee cups and saucers with their logo tiki.
and quite an interior..

K

Kinda hard to hit that mug + swizzle + plates trifecta, but I'll throw in the bars and restaurants of the Hilton Hawaiian Village for their great mugs and swizzles from the '70s.

Good post. I have wondered about this for years with the Mauna Loa in Detroit. They had their name on mugs, swizzles, ashtrays, matchbooks, s&p shakers and even silverware. Not one dinner plate have I seen ...yet. I think most of the dinner ware got into the collectors market after these places closed down and the items were sold off. In the case of the Mauna Loa it was around for such a short time it was easier to "field collect" a mug or other small item rather than a lobster platter out in someones handbag. I'll keep looking. That's one of the best parts of the hobby. In the end I believe the fire got the rest. Just a theory though. Thanks.

Considering the price tag of building the Mauna Loa...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30193&forum=10&1
...one would assume they had their own logo imprinted china!

I have to apologize to Boris that I went off on my own bend with my list of "The Big Ten" representing more what the ten most IMPORTANT Tiki places were in my mind, not answering his query and confusing the issue. To correct that according to the intention of his post:

Neither The Tikis nor Tiki Bob's ever had their own china, or swizzles. I am not sure if the Hawaii Kai did. But I know there are fine Ren Clark swizzles out there, with a big Milan Guanko logo Tiki on top! Sorry, can't deliver the image, Bosko has one.

No Problem Big Bro,

after we get through this top ten we can tackle the ten most influential spots. Good to know that Ren Clark had a swizzle. Hopefully Bosko or someone with one will read this and be kind enough to post it for us all to drool over. I just need one more place for the list and I can relax.

I'm wondering now if Mark Thomas' Outrigger had a swizzle? Anyone? :roll:

Did the Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel have any kind of tableware?

I know that they had mugs and a swizzle.

It's odd that their swizzle has the Ren Clark logo tiki on it.

That plate is so cool! And I cannot recall if that is the same swizzle than Bosko has, his is a different color. But whatever happened with mugs sometimes (like the Tiki Bob's) also happened with swizzles, perhaps: The manufacturer got an order for a logo Tiki item and made it, and then kept the design as a sample for other customers, who then ordered it for their establishment, not knowing it had been branded. Case in point: The Kona Kai Tiki swizzle stick and its many copies.

I think I remember seeing a Mark Thomas swizzle, sans Tiki though, just the distinctive type face as a sculpt.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-10-20 19:31 ]

Hello all sorry for the delay I saw this post a few days ago and I have been looking thru my sticks but my day job gets in the way of things, I know I have some sticks that I can’t put my hands on so. I’ll post a few now, if there are any problems sorry I lack computer skills Truus is working on a new CD I am flying solo here.

First; yes Sven you are right and wrong, the swizzle below we concluded was a Milan Guanko inspired Tiki but mine is from the “Chrysler-Plymouth 100 Day dash” not Ren Clarks. But you are correct it probably ended up as a stock design (in this case) at Beacon the were one of the biggest swizzle manufacturers in mid century America, the good news is they used to do 18 (or so) different colors so imagine what is out there waiting for urban archeologists?

Next; A Tiki Bob stick I nearly had a heart attack when I found this one I have never seen another and had always assumed they didn’t have a stick, it looks a little later (era wise) with just the logo stamp.

Last; The Luau there are at least 20 different colors of the Luau stick here are four, but below if the harder to find Luau spear!

My very best alohas

Bosko

Thank You Bosko! :D

Bosko - those are some beautiful swizzles. Didn't know the Tiki Bob existed.

I'm confirming that the Mauna Loa in Detroit did indeed have their own signature dinnerware.

I own just one dinner plate, but it's one of my prized possessions:

Ohhhhhh Wow! Thank you Sabu.

RB

So would this Top 10 be a coaches' poll...or writers' poll? :) And then I suppose we should put together a (S)BCS poll...Scorpion Bowl Championship Series! :lol:

Sabu. WOW !!! Thanks for the pics of the Mauna Loa plate. I keep looking in the wild.......someday my ship will come in. Thanks.

I'm going to have to make one of these for all of them. (I don't know why but I am)

Here's Trader Vic's ~

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2008-10-22 08:10 ]

Hello again a few more sticks,

For a place that had one of the greatest logo mugs we have the very boring Mark Thomas Outrigger stick(that Sven brought up) and not too inspired Aku Aku stick/spoon.

Next the very detailed Trade Winds pick, I have a restaurant style coffee mug with the logo, a menu, a couple of mugs with logos, matchbooks and I've seen a lighter they gave out. They had tons of material with the logo, usually the picks are harder to find so I am hopeful I'll get a real swizzle one of these days.

Last I know I have seen a Hawaii Kai stick but I have no idea where it may be, it could be in my brothers collection? Anyway this is a similar example some places used a bamboo chop stick thing for drinks and they would put a logo on top, this one is from " the Waikiki" I have no idea which or where?

Another thing to keep an eye out for is logo drink umbrellas lots of places used them, I have a few but I am afraid to open the ancient paper, so that will have to be for some other post.

Bosko

Again BOSKO thank you for sharing, I've seen Hawaii Kai umbrellas on ebay but was also afraid of them crumbling.

The Trade Winds pick is fantastic, I've said it in other threads many times but I wish people would still bother to not only make swizzles but good ones with images associated with their restaurant. I know it's pricey these days but they're deductible aren't they? :)

I also think home bars should consider them as well does the Kapu Tiki Room have one? Tiki Island, above the Silverlake? My Kitchen Counter near the Fridge does not yet have a swizzle. :-?

LT

On 2008-10-22 12:52, TIKIBOSKO wrote:

Next the very detailed Trade Winds pick, I have a restaurant style coffee mug with the logo, a menu, a couple of mugs with logos, matchbooks and I've seen a lighter they gave out. They had tons of material with the logo, usually the picks are harder to find so I am hopeful I'll get a real swizzle one of these days.

Is this Trade Winds pick from the old Club Trade Winds in Tulsa?

Hey Boris, they do still make (some) very nice sticks but it's my understanding that the old timers who used to carve out the classic stick mold are long gone. So that art+knowledge is lost like so much from the mid century, also I doubt a designer now a days would dare to be so interesting. As far as doing new sticks most places are so bottom line oriented that to add 5 cents (for a piece of plastic) to the bottom line of a ten dollar drink is absolutely unthinkable.

LOL Tiki this Trade Winds was in Oxnard or at least that was my guess, below is what think they based the design on, the dinnerware is a closer match (to the swizzle) but don't ask me to take a picture and then post it.

Bosko

Jumpimg in for a second...

There
will be a new swizzle on the market soon.

For the Vegas tiki bar.

......back to the Top 10.

Keep an Eye out!

Ben, that sounds great, just like everything you have posted in the other thread about the new Vegas place, with all the people involved, it sounds like a dream come true! What's next: LA Trader Vic's!? :wink: ...you da man to do it!

Give the East Coast a little love here people...

Kowloon.

Once the LARGEST restaurant in America, it still ranks as the largest Polynesian Restaurant. Branded scorpion bowls, coconuts, glassware, china, S&P shakers, swizzles, and even RUM (yes, they had/have a house Kowloon Rum). If you're lucky, you can find these things in the New England thrift stores.....if you can beat Tikisgrl there (She scores everything!!)

Seating for something like 2200, a 50+ foot A-frame & giant Ku at the entrance....dine in individual huts around the lagoon, or in front of an erupting volcano, or on a ship, or in a lava cave, or just at the sunken bar with the carved totems supporting the thatched roof.

And its still open! :wink:

.... and now has Tiki Farm making its signature mugs.

http://www.kowloonrestaurant.com/

Its in the top half of my top 10....but I might be east-coast biased.

Show us the Swizzle Bargoyle and I'll include it.

The Luau

T

Hey Boris don't forget the forgotten world of...

Logo Chopsticks.

Bosko

The Stockton Islander ones must be KING in that world!:

Boris, I don't think I can allow that Luau set as correct! :D ...because these are three DIFFERENT logo Tikis, (two being more Kon-Tiki related)

The Luau logo Tiki that you see on the swizzle matched the Tiki on the original menu, the matchbook (don't THEY belong into this line up, too?), the glassware and dishes, the Salt & Pepper shakers, the table lamps, and the entrance Tikis.

BB

Oh hello Bigbro, I posted the plate thinking that since it was still the same actual address it would be okay, I do like the original Tiki more than the later one but I don’t have a plate with him on it or know anyone that does. Do you have one Sven? Please send me a picture if you do and I’ll use it, also this early in the thread I didn’t want to start using other types of tableware but since you busted me I’ll use this tea cup instead of the plate. ~

As far as the mug goes he stays! Were there earlier Luau mugs? I’ve seen the glassware on the cover of The Grog Log but I’m not counting that. As for match books there are so many different variations from all the restaurants it hurts my head even thinking about it. I’m just trying to keep it as lean and simple as possible for the six or so of us that like this sort of thing. :wink: There can room for expansion later.

Bosko, as far as your chop sticks I love em and would be happy to add my 2008 Trader Vic’s sticks to any thread that’s started about them. :lol:

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2008-11-03 18:20 ]

LT

On 2008-11-03 14:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
The Stockton Islander ones must be KING in that world!:

Boris, I don't think I can allow that Luau set as correct! :D ...because these are three DIFFERENT logo Tikis, (two being more Kon-Tiki related)

The Luau logo Tiki that you see on the swizzle matched the Tiki on the original menu, the matchbook (don't THEY belong into this line up, too?), the glassware and dishes, the Salt & Pepper shakers, the table lamps, and the entrance Tikis.

You should have seen that place lit up at night - it was beautiful.

BB

I’ve done some re-arranging on my list and have moved the Mai-Kai up to #4. Why you ask? (I really wish you wouldn’t and just nod in agreement) but the Mai-Kai is older than both the Aku Aku and the Kahiki and it’s still there then add the fact that the Aku Aku had a snooze of a swizzle and BOOM! the Mai-Kai is #4. :D

I don't know, Dr. Boris, I don't know...your concept of sticking to the three specific utensils mug/swizzle/plate seems too rigid. With the above example of the mug having NOTHING in common with the swizzle or the plate, your M/S/P method appears flawed. I can't help but veer again away from the initial implication of your thread, determining the big ten by these three utensils only.

To prove what was a grand Tiki Temple, my methodology centers around the Tiki logo, no matter on what medium it was reproduced...which in the case of the Mai Kai would be the Tahitian Cannibal Carving:

They were put to use on the sign, the menu, on fabrics, the coasters, as table lamps and as carvings in the restaurant. The repeated appearance of a specific Tiki icon on utilitarian items is of greater importance than the type of item.

Respectfully, Professor S.A. Kirsten

BB

I understand what you're saying Professor and I agree but sticking with the rigidness as a guideline I can use other items that we're unique to that location as examples of how much cool stuff a place had and how varied. Should I have used a Mai-Kai Rum Barrel to keep the logo consistent? It would have been nice if the Mai-Kai had made a mug featuring the cannibal trio but they didn't and I thought the shrunken head mug was a good example of something very Mai-Kai.

Now which Kahiki mug should be used?

True, the Rum Barrel would have been good, or the back of that one mug that has the logo type on it. In the case of the Kahiki, there is a Moai mug that resembles the logo Moai somewhat.... have no pic of it though. Gotta go, late for the Ti. The mention of the Rum Barrel made me want to have one.

Kahiki

Kona Kai

Mauna Loa

This is great! I'm really enjoying this thread.

Pub Tiki

Aku Aku

The Big Nine*

1. Don The Beachcomber
2. Trader Vic's
3. Steve Crane and Associates (The Luau, Kon Tiki, Kon Tiki Ports, Ports O'Call)
4. Mai-Kai
5. Kahiki
6. Kona Kai
7. Mauna Loa
8. Pub Tiki
9. Aku Aku

So who’s missing? The Hawaii Kai with their wooden swizzle? (maybe)

Mark Thomas’ Outrigger with their dull swizzle and serveware? (maybe)

Still waiting for Bargoyle or any other east coaster to show us a Kowloon swizzle.

I know there are more. It doesn’t have to be the Big 10 It can be the Big 15 or the Big 26; I don’t care as long as they meet or fall pretty close to what I’m looking for. Don’t make me add The North Woods Inn. ** I’ll do it!**

I love the North Woods Inn.

Thanks to everyone who let me use their collections for my list ~ Kingstiedye, Tiki-Kate, Bosko, Tikitastic, Tattoo, Sabu the Coconut Boy, Tiki Nomad and Benehune. :)

• Places with mugs, swizzles and tableware.
LT

Did the Stockton Islander or Latitude 20 have Swizzles and Serverware?

On 2008-11-26 19:13, Bora Boris wrote:

So who’s missing? The Hawaii Kai with their wooden swizzle? (maybe)

Mark Thomas’ Outrigger with their dull swizzle and serveware? (maybe)

Still waiting for Bargoyle or any other east coaster to show us a Kowloon swizzle.

I'm rooting for Ren Clark. I think that they obviously had a swizzle based on what we've seen in this thread. Someone just needs to present that photographic evidence. I also think that they would have the most cohesively tiki-themed mug/swizzle/serveware combo.

Bora Boris,

All I have to say is that is pretty impressive. Thanks for putting all of that together. Some thoughts....

What about the Islander - just need a swizzle

Or the Luau in Miami

Again, just need a swizzle

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2008-11-26 22:21 ]

On 2008-11-26 19:25, LOL Tiki wrote:
Did the Stockton Islander or Latitude 20 have Swizzles and Serverware?

I haven't seen anything but both the Stockton Islander and Latitude 20° pretty much used the same mugs and besides the Latitude 20° barrel mug they didn't have anything that I know of that stood out as unique to those locations but if a Latitude 20° plate and swizzle turn up I'll add them.

On 2008-11-26 22:18, Dustycajun wrote:

What about the Islander - just need a swizzle

Or the Luau in Miami

Again, just need a swizzle

DC

Exactly DC, just need a swizzle that’s why it’s the deal breaker and as soon as one pops up I’ll include em.

I was in the parking lot of the former La Cienega Islander not too long ago looking to see if anything like the water main or electrical panel still had “Islander” written on it and found nothing and I didn't find any swizzles laying in the parking lot after three decades either but I looked. :)

O

Hard to believe that the Trade Winds didn't make this list (Actually it did become a Donn the Beachcomber) As Bosko pointed out it had the best swizzle sticks, mugs, dishes, etc.
Don Ho and the Beach Boy's performed there. The polynesian revue. Maybe the Mai Kai was its equal but I'll argue that it was the best Tiki palace of them all. An I biased? Hell yes!

On 2008-11-27 20:02, Ojaitimo wrote:
Hard to believe that the Trade Winds didn't make this list (Actually it did become a Donn the Beachcomber) As Bosko pointed out it had the best swizzle sticks, mugs, dishes, etc.
Don Ho and the Beach Boy's performed there. The polynesian revue. Maybe the Mai Kai was its equal but I'll argue that it was the best Tiki palace of them all. An I biased? Hell yes!

I saw the picture of the swizzle, but where are the pictures of the serveware and mugs? I know they had an OMC bucket mug with their name on it, but did they have a signature mug exclusive to their establishment?

The criteria for inclusion states that photographic evidence must be presented. We all know that this stuff exists, but what we really want is to actually see it.

O

Yes Kate they had two signature mugs, glassware, dinner ware, postcards, lighters, etc.
Bongo Fury has one of the mugs, Bosko has a coffee cup as do I, as for serving ware I'm on a quest to find some.

Pages: 1 2 91 replies