Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki remnants in Zihuatanejo, Mexico

Pages: 1 2 replies

Owen's bungalows (operated by Owen Lee, ex-member of Jacques Cousteau's diving team) has thatched bungalows - and a decent restaurant for tuna steak (al mojo de ajo) on the point at the end of Playa Las Gatas. As you approach the resort, you encounter some sun-worshipped tiki figures, like these examples:

On the stretch of road from Playa La Ropa into town, all that remains of the Kon Tiki restaurant (someone on Tiki Central has ashtrays from this place) is the signage.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2008 11:21 AM

Nice pictures Eddy !!!
sporkboyofjustice has the ash tray...
From this topic: Kon Tiki Zihuatamejo, Mexico ash tray

On 2004-04-30 13:40, sporkboyofjustice wrote:
I picked up a small terra cotta ash tray not too long ago. It's about 3.5 inches in diameter and about 1.75 inches tall. It is marked on one side "Res. Bar Kon-Tiki" and "Zihuatamejo-4-24-71" on the other side.

It's really quite plain with no tikis on it at all. Has anyone seen anything else from this establishment or know of it?

On 2004-06-29 16:00, Humuhumu wrote:
The ashtray is from a place that's been around a while and is still open in Zihuatanejo. Those numbers are the old phone number. It's still called Kon-Tiki, but it appears to specialize in pizzas these days. Don't know what the decor is like.

I will go there personally and find out more... I been there before but never saw any tikis... I know "playa la ropa" (ropa= clothes) has that name because one day a ship sinked and the cargo was clothes and they ended up in the beach. :wink:

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 8:31 PM

Restaurant Bar
Kon Tiki

PIZZERIA
Zihuatanejo, Gro. Mexico

Pages: 1 2 replies