Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

More Bad News for the Outrigger Apartments in Rosemead :-(

Pages: 1 21 replies

T

The Big Tiki in front of the Outrigger Apartments has been removed :(

Just drove past there today, and it's gone.

Another one bites the dust.

Does anyone know about this and who may have gotten it ?

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-09-17 13:41 ]

T

That is really too bad, it was still there when we went to shoot reference for my Tiki talk (early June?) and they were doing alot of remodeling. The gates were opened so we went in and looked around maybe that's the connection? It would be nice to hope someone saved it but the usual scenario is the wood is shot so it's the big dumpster in the sky or parking lot.

Bosko

Aw, man! That's unfortunate.

T

Maybe a recon mission is in order.

At least a phone all to the management office.

T

OK : Update...and it's NOT goood.

I passed by there today, and as reported a few weeks back, the big Tiki out front is gone. Today, I noticed a BIG dumpster in front. So, on the way back from where I was going, I stopped and climbed up the dumpster to see if there were any Tikis in need of Rescuing.
Nothing that I could see, but I did see was that there was definitely work going on in there, pieces of drywall, cement, and even an old bar stool...but nothing noteworthy.

The front security door was open, so I wandered in and found the office. There was a young guy in there, and I inquired about the tiki out front. he was Chinese, like most the people in that area, and pretty much didn't know what a Tiki was, so I used other descriptions (Hawaiian statue, big wood carving, Big wooden face etc) . He said, that he just got called in the cover the office today, and gave me a card to call the manager in a few days. But the tiki was gone before he got there.

Then, on the way out,I saw some laborers and asked them about the Tiki. They said that the new owner sold it to someone. When I asked about any other old tiki remnants, they said that it was pretty much all gone. I don't know how much was left there anyway, but here's the worse news....

The card I was handed said "The Huntington at Pasadena" as the name of the complex.

So, any Poly Pop roots the place had have been stripped away entirely. The new paint job is that dreadful pale yellow that everyone uses, and there is basically nothing left, except for the magnificent A Frame Architecture itself to hint at what it used to be. It's another bland Box apartment now.

SO....Check your local antique stores, I guessing someone snagged that Tiki for an antique shop, unless someone in here knows of it's whereabouts.

I WILL do a followup call in a few days to see what's what and report back.

Sounds like another souless "development" Yay for the tasteless boring clone complexes! Good P.I. work though.

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-09-18 11:10 ]

Jim, there wasn't much left inside the complex already when I talked to the manager in the 90s. She said they had tossed it all because it would "date" the building. The Tiki in the front was left because it was wrapped around the A-frame support beam and seemed (I guess not) to be structural. When Jeff Berry and I found it, it had been purposely overgrown with a bush to hide it, that's how the BOT photo came to be. :)

Ironic how one building is exorcising the last of its Tiki spirit while just across the way, at the Kona Kai apts, they are refreshing the paint on their carvings and taking good care of them. This diametric situation seems like a metaphor for the state of Tiki today.

This is so sad. I'm glad I got in and took pictures earlier this year.

Apart from the tiki out front, my favorite thing at the Outrigger Apts was this jade tile divider. Did you notice if it was still there?

T

Kate, I don't think I went in that far. Where was that tile located ?

If you walk in through the front gate it's about 25 feet away to the left.

T

Hmmm...I didn't go past the manager's office, which is on the left as soon as you walk in.

Aloha everyone,

There is GREAT news!

Outrigger Tiki really appreciates all of your concern and wanted me to tell you not to worry and that he is Safe Chillin'. He's gone through a lot over the summer and needs some time before he get's back into the public.

He'll tell you more when he's ready

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Tooth 2008-10-20 19:59 ]

T

On 2008-10-20 19:56, Tiki Tooth wrote:
Aloha everyone,

There is GREAT news!

Outrigger Tiki really appreciates all of your concern and wanted me to tell you not to worry and that he is Safe Chillin'. He's gone through a lot over the summer and needs some time before he get's back into the public.

He'll tell you more when he's ready

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Tooth 2008-10-20 19:59 ]

I guess you are the person who bought it from the apartment complex now called "The Huntington at Pasadena" ?

He was saved.

btw, I really love your CD! Very well done.

Cheers

On 2008-10-20 22:15, Tiki Tooth wrote:
He was saved.

btw, I really love your CD! Very well done.

Cheers

Thanx, now....
OK Tooth Man, fess up...do you have the Tiki ?

Yes, I have him..... he's safe and happy.

Another piece of History saved, Thank ( TIKI ) God

ARRGH ! I wanted to save him ! :o

Well, glad to see he has a Tiki loving home ! Thanx Tiki Tooth for the info.

At least one of us here has him right?

Thanks for your blessing.

Tiki Tooth

Good save indeed! Here he is in situ:

...and here hidden in shame:

...until unearthed by me and Jeff Berry!:

(That's actually Jeff parting the jungle foliage there, in 1993.)

...and last, a sideview of the building from the garages:

Great Pictures Sven.

Thanks for posting them! I'd sure love to get a copy of those someday. They'd look pretty cool next to him with some History info in a frame.

Mahalo!

These are slides that I scanned on my cheapo scanner, low res. I could try to do higher res jpgs and e-mail them to you if you think that would be suffice? Pm me your e-mail and I see if I get to it.

TT

The Outrigger Tiki in his first appearance since being saved!

He has been hangin' with Kasio Kristmas.
He has dreams of guarding the entrance to a small Tiki Temple in Pasadena someday, maybe on Green St. (It's only a dream at this moment)

Pages: 1 21 replies