Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food / The real Dr. Funk

Post #633233 by thePorpoise on Sun, Apr 22, 2012 12:32 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

gave the "Mystic Isles of the South Seas" reputed original formulation a try- loved it! moreso than the tikified rum-versions. tart and refreshing. thoughts:

--as did TropDrinkBoy, I also used 1.5 oz Pernod. a "portion" of absinthe doesn't lend much guidance, but the traditional absinthe glasses from the 1800's were designed to hold 1 to 1.5 oz of absinthe, for louching with sugar and water, so i think about 1.5 oz of absinthe is probably how Dr. Funk's libation was made.

--I used 1.5 oz of lime juice-- I'm no "lime-ologist," but my bet is the limes available in Samoa were Tahitian, which I understand to be Persian limes, not key limes. Persian limes usually yield 3/4 to 1 oz of juice each for me.

--I used 1/4 oz grenadine. that's more than a dash, but given that grenadine is not usually sold in dropper bottles, and given that absinthe is usually mixed with sugar, my guess is that the grenadine was the sugar substitute for the drink and the "dash" was probably a bit heavy-handed.

the "real" Dr. Funk cocktail is a very refreshing drink, essentially, it was an absinthe daisy.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2012-04-22 12:33 ]

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2012-04-22 12:36 ]