Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events / Mai Tiki Show at HUKILAU 2002

Post #2724 by kahukini on Tue, Jun 25, 2002 9:37 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
K

Meeting Mai Tiki
by Otto von Stroheim
Reprinted with permission from Tiki News

I had the pleasure of meeting Wayne Coombs mid-2000 when both of us happened to be in Las Vegas - Wayne for a VIP meeting with comedian Carrot Top, me for the Tiki Room gig of Las Vegas Grind.

I'd known of Wayne for years because his Tikis, carved under the name Mai Tiki, are all over the place. He's a legend in Florida due to Mai Tiki's longevity of nearly thirty years. During that time it is possible, even likely, that Wayne founded what I call the Florida style - bold features such as large lips, simple almond-shaped eyes, and often huge square teeth.

When asked if his Tikis are self portraits Wayne replies almost defensively as if it is not a compliment to look like one of his Tikis, "It has been said they are self portraits but I still don't know how to take that. You can tell by looking at a Tiki, or any art for that matter, whether it flowed through the artist, or whether it is just shit" That straightforward attitude is indicative of Wayne and of his entire life. Wayne is a hardworking, self-made businessman.

He describes his lifestyle decision of carving as "33 years of telling people to kiss my ass. I've been in the same location, with the same woman, doin' what I want to do." In 1966 Wayne would walk by a carver on his way to High School. "They looked damn cool", Wayne explains of his immediate fascination. "This guy told me he was selling his Tikis in Canada for $500. I knew then that was for me."

Wayne hung out a bit there, picked up tips and began carving. He carried a log from art class to shop class. "I earned two grades for one project!" Moving into professional carving wasn't too hard for Wayne. "There wasn't but a couple of guys doing it in Florida at that time. Their reputations were more for drinking capacity than carving Tikis."

In 1968 Wayne served two years for marijuana. "It was a lucky break for me. My friends went to Vietnam. I went to jail and spent two years honing my carving skills." After prison the State sponsored Wayne as part of a career probation program. They bought him tools and checked up on him. At an art show in the early 70s Wayne landed his first big Tiki job. "A couple named Billet owned a restaurant called Beef 'n' Reef in Cocoa Beach, FL. They ordered 12 seven foot Tikis and paid $1000 for them all. (I think they got a deal!). The guy had a collection of maybe two dozen velvet paintings by Leeteg. I was awestruck by their beauty. He had them framed in big gaudy gold frames and placed around the interior of the restaurant.

Of course being in the heart of Tiki-rich Florida was crucial to Mai Tiki's success. "The Mai Kai was instrumental in naming my company. I always liked the way the name rolls off your tongue when you say it. I was born and raised in Miami and had been to the place several times when younger but never connected back to it until naming my company in the 70s. Putting Mai with Tiki had a good ring to it."

There's never been a shortage of young locals wishing to emulate Wayne's lifestyle. Usually they start out working for Mai Tiki Studios then go out on their own using Wayne's style. "A lot of good talent springboarded from Mai Tiki Studios." Over the years Mai Tiki has had as many as four to six employees and currently has five. Wayne figures there's "maybe a dozen" carvers in Florida using his style and "at least five are former employees." While Wayne doesn't mind others using his style as an influence, "I actually look forward to inspiring and/or teaching aspiring artists. And I need the help! Tiki carving is very physical work" - he's quick to add, "Plagiarism does NOT flatter me!"

A few years back Mai Tiki knockoffs started appearing at Home Depots across the US. Their discount price of $150 for a five foot pole was due to the fact they were made in Vietnam proving Wayne's influence overseas! Nonetheless, Wayne feels that "all the invested time, money, etc. are, these days, being rewarded." But he's always had an eye on maintaining the business.

"A couple years after starting Mai Tiki Studios I adopted the Moai head for a logo. Representing mysterious, ageless symbolism and bold strength, the logo has served me well - it is copyrighted and trademarked along with several Mai Tiki designs." Recently Wayne has turned his creativity toward painting. "Painting was like a religious experience for me but without the religion." "Over the years I developed my style and evolved with it - 30 years later I'm still evolving." We look forward to his first exhibit.

Thanks to Bosko, Dug Miller, and Dave Krys for Mai Tiki info.

Tiki News
2215-R Market Street #177
San Francisco, CA 94114
http://www.tikinews.com