Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Aloha Hut, Wash D.C.

Pages: 1 11 replies

J
jtiki posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2003 7:22 AM

The Aloha Hut in Washington?

Does anyone know where or when it was? I know it isn't here now.

PS It is a cool looking mug, but $300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2160381525&rd=1

Yes, $300 is steep to pay for a piece of ceramic. However, in today's tiki mug collecting climate $300 doesn't sound unreasonable for this mug. Don't get me wrong - it's still more than I would spend however, considering this is a relatively uncommon mug, I'm not surprised at what it sold for. Even before the tiki resurgence, this mug always seemed to command a pretty penny...

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-03 08:31 ]

T

I got this mug from Joe and the now defunct (sniff, sniff) Aloha Joe's for $15 or $20. Previously, it lived with Uncle Arty, but now it resides with me (it just can't seem to leave Huntington Beach).

There was a thread about this place on the ole' board, I think....didn't Tikifish go there? It was a restaurant, AND a Motel across the way from it. Have a matchbook and a postcard. It had a cool arched A-frame entrance...

S

You're not gonna believe this, and you'll probably hate me for bringing it up again, but I had 3 of these mugs at one time. I found all 3 of them during a business trip in Connecticut at one thrift store. I got all three for 1.50! Score of the century!

I traded one to Midnight for a cool Hawaii Kai mug with the original box.

I traded one with a bunch of other mugs for a very cool vintage Tiki Bar. This mug was then subsequently sold to Tiki Bong (Aloha Hut likes HB!).

The last one resides with me, and here he will stay!

And yes, $300 is crazy when you consider that I got these guys for .50 c a piece!!!

If anyone knows anything about the Aloha Hut that was once in Washington D.C., I would be very interested!

Aloha,

Arty

Peace, Love & Tiki!

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-08 00:52 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-08 00:56 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-08 01:02 ]

I have 2 of these mugs!! Found them in a thrift store in N. Va.,about 6 years ago.I paid 1.50 each....I cannot believe it went for almost 300.00...It is one of my favorite designs it reminds me of the doll that comes alive and terrorizes Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror...I may be letting one of these bad boys go..hey someone somewhere is rolling in some dough...and I could use some of it!Before my dogs or cats knock it over which is always a possibility...

S

Good for you tikiluvgirl (luv that name)!

When you're ready to sell, make sure you make the announcement here. Not sure if any TCer's will buy at that price but I'm sure they will push the bid up!

Anyhoo, what about the Aloha Hut?! Anyone know about this place???

T

Sven, you are thinking of the Hawaiian Village in Michigan. I get around but haven't been to Washington yet!

S

If someone can help me come up with an address for the place, I'd be happy to check it out and see what, if anything, is there now.

D

wow. i just got better ~ my cousin got me these mugs! her mother in law bought these from The Aloha Hut.

Wow, How cool is that! I always thought this was one of the coolest of the vintage mugs out there.. I love the little leaves around the backside.
Aloha's to you!

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-04-09 00:24 ]

Here is the swanky die-cut matchbook from the Aloha Hut that I have seen around a few times.

Maybe Johnny Dollar has some more info on this place?

DC

Pages: 1 11 replies