Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wreck Bar at Yankee Clipper at risk of closing!!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

Aloha to all..

As I was attending a meeting with the Clipper regarding Hukilau a couple of weeks ago they informed me that the Clipper was undergoing a renovation next year. I had heard about this last year and my fear was that the corporate monsters would choose to level the classic building and build an even larger hotel so that they could pack more bodies in for vacation dollars.

They plan to "gut" the entire building were their exact words. When I asked about the Wreck Bar mum was the word but they said there were no official plans to keep it. The ship building will stay intact and not be raised.

Please, write the Sheraton, tell them of the great times you've spent there at Hukilau, tell them of Marina the Mermaids swims and how magical they are, tell them how much it means to you and maybe, just maybe, they'll keep this treasure.

This Hukilau we will have the Wreck Bar to ourselves during the day functions as I'm blocking off the hotel lobby access. There will be plenty of time to enjoy during the weekend!

So much in Florida has disappeared or is at risk or closing and being raised. Visit these classic locations as often as you can - it might be your last chance.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2008-05-01 17:07 ]

T

UGH.....

Corporate GREED just SUCKS !

I'm very, very sad to hear that the Wreck Bar may be, well, wrecked.

I hope everyone writes to keep this treasure safe.

Honeymoon at Hukilau '04

D

These people think they know what's good for the general public. They don't.

G

That would be awful if they got rid of the Wreck Bar. I have fond memories of watching Bre-elle be the first mermaid to swim by those windows in... how many years was it? The place has a great look to it. Losing it would be a shame.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 2, 2008 7:48 AM

It's not greed. They will likely spend a lot of money to update it. They just don't value it at the level that makes these decisions. It may be no one ever looks. they just say "renovate!" and it is done.

T

On 2008-05-02 07:48, Swanky wrote:
It's not greed. They will likely spend a lot of money to update it. They just don't value it at the level that makes these decisions. It may be no one ever looks. they just say "renovate!" and it is done.

I Beg to differ....They want to make a bigger,better,shinier,more moneymaking hotel.....that word I HATE so much...UPSCALE.....Meaning they can charge more money. In with the generic stucco, "Upscale" garbage...out with the unique, adventureous and interesting.

T

Fat Cats know there's no money in Tiki...plus it's dirty, dark!

D

TikiLaLe, you crack me up. That's so true "dirty & dark". LOL!!

Tikiyaki - I'm with you on that. The same mindset that thinks the MacMansions built right in the middle of a vintage neighborhood look nice somehow (as is often the case here in LA). Another case in point are the few remaining corporate owned Tiki establishments (who shall remain nameless). The big wigs at the top, who aren't interested in anything except telling their stockholders that their shares are up 15% from last month, want to literally whitewash the tikiness with bland carpeting and fabrics, pink and off-white colors, a potted palm tree in the corner and ceiling fan and suddenly its "tropical." That sounds just the like what the missionaries did to Hawaii way back when. Oh the irony.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2008-05-02 09:14 ]

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2008-05-02 09:19 ]

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 2, 2008 9:21 AM

Well, the Wreck Bar is not tiki. But it has great character. I doubt anyone is saying the bar could make more if it looked different. They probably just want to "update" everything, regardless. Hell, they may make it a Margaritaville restaurant or something.

My point is, if its possible to get the attention of the people making the decision, it might matter. Point out that it was used in movies, etc. If locals can get an article in the paper. Just get it out there. Otherwise, it's just some old bar they need to update just like the rooms, etc.

Now, about that ship's wheel in the front of the conference room...

I was so fearful that the ship building would be raised, I love the Wreck Bar, but that building is classic and gorgeous. Swanky is right, it is not Tiki, but it's worth saving in a large way due to the historic value and it's amazingly cool.

Ultimately, it's about money. Lot's of the hotels here are incorporating chain restaurants to become more appealing.

I'm with you GatorRob - my fondest memory is seeing Bre-elle as the first mermaid since 1962 swim for Hukilau villagers!!

What a shame,Dont these people realize they are destroying your history and past culture,every time we vistit the the states some cool old building or tiki bar is gone ,so we try and see as much as we can while we are out on vacation(it might not be there next time!)We will be out for the hukilau and cant wait to see the wreck bar,I urge as many people to make the treck to the hukilau to support tiki kiliki and to see the wreck bar and the mai kai.

It's touching to see such support & enthusiasm for such a very special place.

On the upside, I have heard some encouraging news regarding the Wreck Bar's restoration- hopefully the recent publicity the mermaid swims have received may further help in it's preservation.

Only time will tell~ but as long as the Wreck Bar is in existence, I will do my best to keep the swims going and increase public awareness of this hidden gem among locals and visiting tourists.

Fingers & Fins Crossed...

Your Mai Tai Mermaid,
Marina

marina, maybe you can mobilize the weekee watchee mermaids to drum up popular support for the wreck bar's restoration!

The Weeki Wachee mermaids have really worked hard on their own preservation efforts throughout the years.
I'm really proud of them.

We do communicate often, and support each other quite a bit.

Performing mermaids may be an endangered species, but we are a tenacious pod!

Say ~ a group excursion to Weeki Wachee Springs may be in order...

Marina

T

Marina,

Perhaps a petition passed around at Hukilau asking the Clipper to keep the Wreck Bar preserved would be a nice little message to the Clipper that people like the Wreck Bar just the way it is.

You're talkin ALOT of Signatures in just one weekend.

Hey, I'll take a second to ask people to sign it during the Tikiyaki performance.

J

A petition could certainly help. I can't imagine any of the Hukilau attendees not signing it as the Clipper is one cool nautical bar. If there is a petition have it right at the sign in table, that way you're sure to hit everyone.

HC

Weeki Wachee Springs ..Eternal !!...

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2008 7:49 PM

On 2008-05-02 09:21, Swanky wrote:
Well, the Wreck Bar is not tiki. But it has great character.

Whaddaya mean the Wreck Bar isn't tiki?!?
Don't tell these guys...:tiki:

Marina,

I would like to think that this is true but "gutting the building" means just that. The Clipper has no idea what they have - or I should say the Sheraton. Hopefully they will end up appreciating the historic value of the Wreck - but don't count on it folks - it looks grim.

Bring your Carving Tools!

It was my understanding, after talking to Jim the bartender, (last year while attending Hukilau), that the Wreck Bar or the bar itself is listed in the national register of historic places. I was told it could not be altered. Please let me know if I am wrong. I might give him a call, if he is still there. Yes, it's not Tiki to some, but Joe Dimaggio and Marilyn Monroe dated there. It must be saved.

TJ

The Kahiki was on the list of National Historic Places too.
Now you can buy crap tiki fountains where it once stood.
I love corporate amerika!

Long live the Wreck. Petroglyphs of fifty years of good times.

Here is what I was told by Tom the bartender not Jim, sorry my mistake. By the way, he is the only one that can make the Clipper Mai Tai. Two items: The first is that Sheraton Corp. went to court so that they do not have to pay royalties to the Gelson family for the name. Sheraton won. This means that Sheraton Corp. no longer has to put the name Yankee Clipper on the actual hotel, but all references and inquires MUST ultimately lead back to the name Yankee Clipper. I'M guessing it will be something incorporated into the name such as DBA. Such a farce and shame. Second, The Wreck Bar must be intact along with the outside of the building....but....get this....it (The Wreck Bar) most likely will only be a space for such amenities as a breakfast nook in the manner in which the Marriott Courtyard chain. does it. WTF? The final plan also calls for an escalator to the second level of the building (where the main bar will be) as you walk in, to direct you to reception, along with a very long and sweeping outside concourse for pick up and drop off. Lets see what really happens, my gut tells me that the petition circulating is very crucial along with constant contact with Ft Lauderdale Historical Society. I have been told that the society has already let numerous items on the docket become null and void. WTF?

As an addendum....the above information my be one great big gas bag...for it is notorious in Rhode Island for contractors and present owners to swear that the historical integrity of a building or place will not be desecrated in any way. Then about a week later some nut contractor "accidentally" leaves his blow torch on, sitting on a wooden beam of one of the oldest structures in RI while having his sandwich. Phooof.....oooops my bad.

Hi folks,

I'm a bit confused by all of this about the Yankee Clipper.

I know the YANKEE TRADER (about a mile away from the Clipper) is presently closed for renovation but when I called the Yankee Clipper tonight the front desk manager claims that they are not closing for renovation and are accepting open end reservations.

Can someone please clear up this confusion?

Many thanks,

Hawaii Kai Guy

Hawaii Kai Guy - I can tell you 1st hand that the Clipper is most definitely going under renovation next year. It's been a topic of conversation among the surrounding hotels as they begin to move groups that are already scheduled.

Yes, the Trader is currently closed and will become a Westin Beach Resort when completed. A much more upscale hotel.

I doubt the front desk knows anything about renovations, etc. or have been informed.

Thanks Tiki Killikki,

Thanks for your speedy reply Tiki Killikki,

It sounds like the Clipper will keep taking single reservations until they figure out what they are doing and possibly relocate them to another venue if need be.

It also sounds like they don't want to run the risk of accepting large groups as that could be quite impossible for them if they would need to cancel large group blocks of reservations with deposits should they start a renovation at an undetermined date.

You are correct, everyone at the hotel (the Clipper) is saying different things or doesn't know the real deal, but I am sure you have the inside track having successfully produced so many Hukilau events there.

Que sera sera,

Hawaii Kai Guy

Anyone have an update?

Well, I know that the renovation is still planned for 2009.

I don't know if anyone knows this or not but the first person that carved anything into that bar was Joe DiMaggio - he carved his and Marilyn's initial within a heart on a slice of that bar which is now with the original owner George W. Gill, Jr. Those of you that have visited the Clipper have probably seen the pictures of her leaving the Clipper that is outside the Wreck Bar. The part of the bar is kept with TONS of memorabilia that the Gill family has treasured with them after selling off the hotels in 2005.

Like I said, the building will remain the same but the contents will more than likely suffer a major change.

Check this new thread for updates:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30484&forum=1&start=last&0

Or post any news here. Sorry about the duplicate topic.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-12-04 11:16 ]

Sad news...
http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2009/02/23/daily42.html?surround=etf

I knew Mr. Gill in passing for the past few years. He had an office next door to my work and we had several pleasant conversations. We had not seen him for several months and knew something wasn't right. I send my condolences to his family and friends.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2009-02-26 13:14 ]

Wow - his office gave me so many amazing historical photos several years ago to show at the Anniversary show. Such an important figure to Ft. Lauderdale and I always wanted to visit with him.

He had the slice of bar that Joe Dimaggio carved his and Marilyn Monroe's initials. Should be in the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art now....

I was looking at another Starwood property online tonight and plugged in the Clipper for the heck of it and they are booking rooms for June online and it is almost March. Is it possible that the renovation was postponed by the economy?

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Feb 28, 2009 10:50 AM

On 2009-02-27 19:57, rev_thumper wrote:
I was looking at another Starwood property online tonight and plugged in the Clipper for the heck of it and they are booking rooms for June online and it is almost March. Is it possible that the renovation was postponed by the economy?

When I tried to book a room just now, the reservation page won't load and says it's " system is temporarly unavailable" and to call the toll free #...?

M

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2009-03-05 16:46 ]

G

Very nice photo Derek. But can you Photoshop out the big TV and put a mermaid in the window? :D

I haven't seen anything here about the last mermaid swim, I believe it's on May 29th. I'm surprised not to see something mentioned on TC, maybe I'm missing something.

I got the official letter from the Yankee Clipper yesterday informing me that they are canceling any further events, including 2010, pending their renovations that begin June 1. It also stated again to me that the hotel is receiving a "full gut" and that more than likely the Wreck Bar is gone for good.

I know there are some folks headed down to celebrate, sure wish I would've known sooner so that I could have joined everyone. Please have a drink for me!!

I knew it was gonna happen, but it still hurts....

K

This is very disappointing to hear! However, I am glad to see the work being done on the Mai-Kai! Bitter sweet.

T

On 2009-05-13 19:09, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I haven't seen anything here about the last mermaid swim, I believe it's on May 29th. I'm surprised not to see something mentioned on TC, maybe I'm missing something.

I got the official letter from the Yankee Clipper yesterday informing me that they are canceling any further events, including 2010, pending their renovations that begin June 1. It also stated again to me that the hotel is receiving a "full gut" and that more than likely the Wreck Bar is gone for good.

I know there are some folks headed down to celebrate, sure wish I would've known sooner so that I could have joined everyone. Please have a drink for me!!

I knew it was gonna happen, but it still hurts....

"A Full Gut"....

God that hurts...

Pardon my French, but, what a bunch of Assholes !

I'm glad I got to see it, and see Marina and the other mermaids swim in there.

I hope they go out of business.

This goes to show that YOU must enjoy every Tiki Type Bar while we have them!!!!

And, to enjoy every New Tiki Type Bar there is!!!

Good times at the Wreck Bar!!!

It is a bit of a heart break, though as some of you well know, I try to remain optimistic.
If the Wreck Bar does indeed get "gutted", well, I've done all that I could. (2 and a half years of bloodshot eyes was still worth it.)

My most sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of those who have been so supportive. It really means a lot to this fishtailed wahine.

We sure had some good times -
There are plenty more good times to be had- even if they don't necessarily go according to plan.

Hmmm... I wonder what King Kukulele will be wearing with us at the Bahia pool at Hukilau...

Mahalo!

Your Fire Eating Mermaid Always,

Marina

The next two Fridays! May 22 and May 29!

Lets see if we can pack the place to the gills and 'remind' the management of what they have and why it should be kept.

Sorry for the pun, couldn't resist.

Marina,

You've done an incredible job and I've tried to do whatever I could to explain and show them what a piece of history the Clipper really is. After Mr. Gill sold the property though I knew it was just a matter of time before these corporate giants ruined this treasure.

Wish I was there for one of your last swims....I will be in spirit.

Thank you so much for being a special part of Hukilau!!

We'll try to round up as many locals as we can ...

that is very sad

Darryl Gonzalez
Boston Restaurants

Mahalo, everyone for your kind words ~

Last Friday was great fun- Lot's of familiar faces came and made for a great evening. (Waiting for Chip & Andy to post some of 'em picts- Haha!)
Though bitter-sweet, this coming Friday will be a memorable one. The more the merrier-
We should have the pool well stocked-

Bring a camera, bring your swimsuit, bring me a Mai-Tai!!

Let's give the Wreck Bar a proper send off to Retro- Valhalla in true Tikiphile style!

Your, Mai-Tai Wahine O Ke Kai,

Marina

Pages: 1 2 72 replies