Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island 2nd Anniversary Mug Release!! **UPDATE: PLEASE READ PAGE 2**April 27th @ 3:00PM

Pages: 1 28 replies

M

Aloha!

In celebration of our second anniversary, we’re pleased to announce the details for our next mug launch, The Kapulapu! The Limited Edition Forbidden Island Second Anniversary Kapulapu Mug will be released to the public on April 27th at 3:00pm. Designed & crafted by local Oakland artist Tiki Kaimuki, this very special and unique mug will certainly be a sell-out within minutes. Here’s a hint of how it looks in a green glaze:

http://www.tikicentral.com/uploads/8160/47ff23d8.jpg

The Forbidden Island edition will be cast in a classic satin black glaze reminiscent of the great OMC Moai mugs of long ago. In addition, each Forbidden Island version will feature a unique tongue- each one meticulously applied by hand and all one-of-a-kind! Each comes with a certificate of authenticity and features “FI2” in raised letters on the back of the mug.

The details:

-Mug sale starts at 3PM. Do not line up before the sun comes up.
-One mug per customer. No holding places in line- everyone interested in buying a mug must be in line the whole time.
-At 2:45, numbers will be issued. We’re doing something a little different this time: Your number will guarantee you the right to buy a mug, but not the number of the mug. When you get to the mug table, all of the mugs will be in boxes, and you’ll choose at random. Yes, number 1 will be available. But since they’re all unique, you may want to trade someone for a tongue you like better!
-CASH ONLY. Mugs are $75 each. PLEASE NOTE: Forbidden Island no longer has an ATM. Please make sure you have cash with you.

The total size of the edition may not be available until the last minute- it all depends on how the kiln behaves. Expect that there will be between 25 and 30.

SPECIAL BONUS: There will be an ultra-rare version of the mug in a white glaze with no tongue. Numbered “1.5”, this mug will be made available as a raffle item to give everyone a shot at it! Tickets will be on sale at FI on the 27th for $2 each and the raffle drawing will be held at 5:00PM. You must be present to win!

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy this beautiful new mug from a very talented Bay Area artist!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: martiki 2008-04-27 08:41 ]

M

I might not get to be first in line, but at least I got first post to say looking forward to another fun time waiting in line for a great mug!

I've got a regular Kapulapu in green and it looks mahvelous! Have fun out there gang.

Will LaLa be there?

N

I will be there, of course!!! We should organize Food Drops somehow... Seems around 10:00 AM and just before the bar opens, everyone is starving... I suppose I should get a list of who will deliver to FI at the needed times...

Hmmmmm.....

I might be in town for this.

How's the weather??

H

[ Edited by: honu73 2009-07-20 14:13 ]

M

No Lala.

Weather good.

Hotel: http://www.marinavillageinn.com/

Pics coming this eve...

Still don't know the numbers, but here is a taste...

Awe Crap!

I'll be in the hood on Sat. not Sun. !

Arrrr!!!!

Just my luck!........

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 9:25 PM

Sounds like a good reason for a layover.

On 2008-04-22 21:25, Kahu wrote:
Sounds like a good reason for a layover.

No layover.

On the road with a truck full of tools and a lil' know how.

Will be heading back from Sonoma on Sat. Must check in and see my babies. :wink:-

The Bamboo Ben Build Out Tour 08 must continue..to stay on schedge.

Arrr!!!

lol!!

K-Mukis mugs rock!!!

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-04-22 22:15 ]

M

Ahoy hoy sports fans,

Happy Second Anniversary Forbidden Island!

Yep, two years. Time flies. Dos anos...¡eso está bastante fantástico!

Guess it's about time I start making a dent in my tab. ¿Cómo sobre el año próximo?

Support your, or better yet my, local tiki bar...

el midnite

CL

The Marina Village Inn is a healthy walk away...that would be my suggestion.

On 2008-04-20 20:16, honu73 wrote:
So, I've been to FI once while in town on business and have been looking for a reason to make another appearance...this smells like a reason. I'll be flying in from Phoenix on Saturday night in an attempt to score this fancy-schmancy mug. Are there any hotels within stumbling distance?

On 2008-04-23 09:18, Coco Loco wrote:
The Marina Village Inn is a healthy walk away...that would be my suggestion.

On 2008-04-20 20:16, honu73 wrote:
So, I've been to FI once while in town on business and have been looking for a reason to make another appearance...this smells like a reason. I'll be flying in from Phoenix on Saturday night in an attempt to score this fancy-schmancy mug. Are there any hotels within stumbling distance?

what if they are not in walking condition.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-04-24 21:25 ]

Mahalo everyone for your kind words. I will post the number available sometime Saturday afternoon. Please check this post then, so you can plan accordingly. Just hoping I get a good number of survivors out of the kiln...

M

Gosh that mug is cute. I was trying not to look as my collection is on the way to putting me in the poor house. But DAMN! it's cute.

Well folks, the worst case scenario seems to be unfolding. I only got three mugs out of the 18 from my recent firing at another shop. I have another 12 that are trying to be saved by the generous folks at Leslie Ceramics. If those ones are saved, then these ones that didn't come out can most likely also be saved, just not by Sunday. I will find out tomorrow afternoon if there are more than 3.
I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed(and broke) I am right now. I made some bad decisions and trusted people who had no real interest in making sure these came out. After this whole mess, I won't be making any more mugs until I get my own kiln hooked up and have control over firings. Update and new details tomorrow.
I will commence with heavy drinking now...

I'm gonna see if I can swing this...last year was a great.

After an hour long chat with John Toki of Leslie Ceramics(who by the way told me that Trader Vic used to come in there to buy blue glaze for some of his home ceramic projects) I have a new strategy and new materials for making sure these mugs survive. So, what does that mean to people wanting an FI2 mug? Tomorrow I will unfortunately not have the numbered FI 2 mug for sale. What I will have is 5 of the APs(maybe more, but don't count on it). They aren't perfect, as they have some slight glazing defects that can mostly be picked out only if you hold it very close. I will sell these FI APs ot the first 5 people in line(who want them)for $60. I will also have a couple regular Kapulapu APs for the raffle- tickets will be $2 each. FINALLY, the first twenty people in line can get on the waiting list to purchase a numbered FI 2 Year Kapulapu Mug. I won't be taking money for these, you will be notified when they are ready and you can choose to purchase it then.

To sum up-

1. First five people will have the option to purchase FI 2 AP for $60.
  2. First 20 people will get on a waiting list to purchase the FI 2 numbered edition.
  3. There will be a raffle(same details that Martin wrote) except there will be two unique glazed regular edition Kapulapu(not FI 2 Year)
  4. Sorry for the setback, but you might just forget after a couple of FI's amazing cocktails.
    MAHALO FOR ALL OF YOUR UNDERSTANDING!!!

Kaimuki, Hon, you rock -

Luv,
~T

p.s. See all a y'all suckas in line tamale; I take no prisoners....

Presenting the official FI 2nd Anniversary Mug

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2008-04-26 21:14 ]

Very thirsty!

-Mug sale starts at 3PM. Do not line up before the sun comes up.

ok....so maybe I did get there a little early last year.....I can't believe it's been a year already. The people in line made the time go by quickly. Have fun everyone!!1

The Die-hard MWs were out...

Mahalo, Tiki Kaimuki, lurve my AP!

Wait, I'm a MugWeirdo now? Crudmuffins. :wink:

MAHALO to everyone that came out to FI yesterday. Fun, sun, and lots of rum. ALSO a big Mahalo to Jim for handling Martin duties and all the awesome gals mixing up a storm behind the bar.
The FI Edition waiting list is filled and I will start work on fulfilling those orders(and regular edition) as soon as possible.
Some pics...

I heard the dog was first in line, but went to pee on a tree and lost his place.

Regular Edition APs for the raffle- Don't know why we didn't take any photos of the FI APs

WINNERS!

Shortly before the rum took effect.

Stay tuned for more ceramic designs this summer!

T
Taurua posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 5:10 PM

Hi all! That's me up there, winning the blue mug with my beloved, who has just registered here as Unkown God. We had an amazing time, and were just sorry that we had to leave so early (darn real life, always getting in the way of our good times!). We met some awesome people, and the mug now is happily ensconced with his brothers on our mug shelf. Now that we're here with all the cool kids, we look forward to meeting more great people at more events!

Pages: 1 28 replies