Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Don the beachcomer's Honey cream mix question??

Pages: 1 10 replies

If you have used this let me know how to do so. It would seam to me that if you take anything that has honey and sweet butter and pour it into a cold drink shake it up you would have "butter" chunks floating around. Don used this in many drinks ( I have his newest book) but I dont see how. Enlighten me please. Thanks guys & gals.

K

Rick at Kaiser Penguin had all kinds of problems with the honey mix while making a Pearl Diver, but he worked his way to success:

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/mxmo-orange-pearl-divers-punch/

Look for Jeff Berry and other tiki Illuminati in the comments section.

I have used it. If you add it to a blender drink you will not get "chunks". It will blend in and gives the drink a pearl like opaque color (and probably a few grams of fat too).

I do not use it often, but it will keep forever in the freezer for when I need it.

Mahiki use it in alot of their drinks, they keep it in a fondue pot with a tea light under it to keep it liquid, popping it in the microwave for a couple of seconds before use would do the same thing.

Ok so if its heated I will not get the clumps that I think will happen. I figured so but really wanted to be sure. I have to say I did try some last night after this post and it was a no go. Looked like whipped butter on top of the drink. I will try to heat it and go from there, In Dons book it did not say to do that it just said how much to add.

K

Dude - did you even look at the link I provided? Apparently not from your answer. There are several solutions to the problem provided, including Jeff Berry's suggestion to strain the dairy solids out of the cocktail.

Enjoy your greasy drinks.

Honey Cream drinks aren't supposed to be greasy or with gobs of butter - they're supposed to be frothy! The trick is to whip the honey & sweet butter into a batter. (Whip it good!) I don't know what's the difference between "sweet butter" and regular butter, but I found some Sweet Butter at Whole Foods, and it works great. The Honey Cream makes a great drink when it's fresh, but you can also freeze it. If you freeze the mix, then you definitely have to defrost it before you use it. I put the frozen cream mix in a shot glass in a pot with water on medium heat - don't need to boil the water - stir a little as it all liquifies. I've had some bad experiences with stuff boiling over in the microwave (we're dealing with relatively small portions - like 3/4 ounce)

The Honey Cream recipes all use a blender - so I pour the juices & rum into the blender first, then the liquified Honey Cream with the ice. The blender whips it up so there's a frothy, sudsy "floater" that sits on top of your cocktail.

I've made the Planter's Rum Punch and the Beachcomber's Punch using the Honey Cream, and they're both delicious.

K

Sweet butter is unsalted butter - regular butter for toast has salt added to it.

Sweet butter can be salted or unsalted. The term refers to the cream, sweet or sour that was used for the butter.

Thanks guys I appreciate te help, as I said I thought warming the cream mix would be best buy it didnt say so and I tried just putting it in and yuk!! I will try heating and post my personal findings. Thanks again

In my experience with this, the key is to warm it and then mix it. You get a lovely velvety texture and the honey adds a wonderful and complex flavor.

Pages: 1 10 replies