Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TRADER VIC's Warehouse Sale

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies

M

Aloha TC Ohana,

The folks at Trader Vic's asked me to pass along some exciting news...

We are happy to offer you a once in a lifetime opportunity to get your hands on all different types of Trader Vic's merchandise & memorabilla, both old & new. Due to the fact that we've got so much overstock and so many different items, there is no way that we can list them all here. Please, DO NOT call us asking specific questions because we are overwhelmed trying to get our new warehouse in-order. We are clearing out this merchandise for some much needed added space. We promise you that there are many great finds and this opportunity should not be missed. Here are some photos of just some of the merchandise being sold...

When: February 23rd - 29th, 10am - 7pm everyday
Where: 623 South 32nd St., Richmond, CA

We hope to see you there!

Your friends at Trader Vic's

G

Sheez. Not feeling so good living on the east coast right now. Go get 'em gang. Looks like there's plently of great stuff there. :cry:

The PNG stuff looks OK....the floats and fish traps might be the most authentic vintage stuff....because most of the Tikis look of Asian origin to me. And you know what I think of the "Poly-Asian" style.

I think I'm gonna hurl. Them Californians get all the breaks.....

D

Said it a million times before....Cali and the west coast in general are way more on top of the Tiki vibe than what we have here in the East. We can't even get Trader Vic's retail products out here. Well...have fun guys, I'm sure everyone will find SOMETHING in there. If they by chance they have ANYTHING at all from the former New York Trader Vic's locations (The Plaza Hotel and Savoy Hilton Hotel), and you think of it, please let me know. I'd be interested in seeing/knowing what it is. Preferably anything that has the locations printed on it. A Tiki mug in that form would be ideal. Thanks dudes and dudettes.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2008-02-01 16:57 ]

J

Yipeee!!!! Finally a great sale of stuff near home! I'm SO there on the 24th!

I'm all in!

I wish they would put it in Trader vics resturaunts, (aka a New BH site)
not sell the stuff...
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

UB

On 2008-02-01 17:26, bigtikidude wrote:
I wish they would put it in Trader vics restaurants, not sell the stuff...

GOOD point, Jeff!

On 2008-02-01 16:56, donhonyc wrote:
....If they by chance they have ANYTHING at all from the former New York Trader Vic's locations (The Plaza Hotel and Savoy Hilton Hotel), and you think of it, please let me know.

To make our East coast Ohana a little less sad: This is not THE Trader Vic's warehouse, like some legendary ivory elephant graveyard. Such a thing does not exist anymore.

Sometime in the 1980s when more and more T.V. locations were closing and none were opening, they stopped taking back the decor and just let it go. Ask what happened to the Washington Trader Vic's for example: The giant Barney West Moai were cut up for fire wood, and most of the interiors were thrown into the trash (x-ept some salvaged by Tikiphiles hip to the closing).
When I surveyed the original Trader Vic warehouse in Oakland in the early 90s, it was a very sad affair, except for some paper, there was nothing in there worthy to speak of. I had heard glorious stories of Tiki treasures from Leroy and Bob at O.A., but those days were over, I was too late. Eventually it was closed completely.

Now flash forward to the Tiki revival, post 2000: T.V.'s started getting requests for franchises again, and had to come up with decor. So a lucky Asia furniture importer got the commission not only to supply them with Tiki carvings (from his carving sources in Asia), but also started storing anything that came back from terminated T.V. locations. I got to visit that warehouse, too. It was full of Buddha statues and rattan and black lacquer Asian antique imitations, and in one room, there were a couple of rows of Vic's decor. There actually were some original old big headed Marquesans like they still stand in Munich, but they were already earmarked for the San Francisco opening (did they ever end up there?).
I do not know if this warehouse now is still the same or not, but A.) Do not expect too much genuinely vintage in there, and B.) prepare for hefty prices.

That's all, Mr Pragmatic has spoken.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-01 19:19 ]

awesome stuff!! you west coasters got a shot at some cool stuff......and you better take it, cause after seeing those pics, i better not see any west coast faces at the auction for the aku tiki stuff in kewanee, ill this summer.....this is an opportunity for the midwest ohana !!

G

You know, I didn't look at the tikis all that carefully when I first saw the post, but now that you mention it, most of them are of the Asian variety. There is plenty of other good stuff there in those pics though. But I'm feeling a little better now about not being close enough to take part in the sale. :)

Although we've heard it many times before, the thought of Barney West's being cut up into firewood is going to give me nightmares...

I

On 2008-02-01 16:08, MakeDaMug wrote:
... Trader Vic's merchandise & memorabilla, both old & new.
Due to the fact that we've got so much overstock ...

are these guys crazy ??

"...we've got so much overstock ..." -
they better put this stuff in places like tradervicslasvegas !!!!!!!!!!!!

O

Yeah, I agree

Are you listening Doc Weiner? WTF up out there in Vegas. Buy some of these items and make your place look like a Trader Vic's.
Good drinks and food isn't going to cut it and I don't want to wear my VR glasses next time!

Thanks for posting this, Holden. I have a feeling I might only be able to afford something like a used napkin or a tablecloth authentically stained with rib sauce. We will see...

Buy up a whole bunch of stuff, JenTiki! Not sure if the timing is fortunate, or unfortunate, but we will be in Maui during that time. DRAT!

B

Maaaaaaan! I could use my skymiles...... Agreed, they should donate them to "Traitor Vics" Vegas. Just got disappointed there a few days ago.

G

This sale is now advertised on the home page of the Trader Vic's website.

Chief Bartender and I are stopping by on Saturday on the way to Wondercon in SF. Hope to see some TCers there!

TS

So did anyone score anything?

J

On 2008-02-20 08:18, Tom Slick wrote:
So did anyone score anything?

Well, since the sale doesn't start for three more days ... I would guess not. :)

Doh! I guess I should invest in some reading glasses! :lol: :lol: :P

J

Dat's Cool, Tom! Just ask the same question this time next week, and I'm sure I'll have a much more interesting answer for you then! The timing of my annual bonus couldn't be better! :D

I heard through the Grape Vine that there is

"Tons" of stuff there.

Have fun shopping y'all!

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-02-22 20:28 ]

,,,tons of ASIAN Tikis. :(
Let me know if anyone finds at least one Barney West, or one of the classic big head/long shlong Marquesans:

And I am curious of the prices, too. :D

I expected reports and photos by now to stoke my jealousy. Any info?

J

The sale just started 45 minutes ago. Even those who were there when the doors opened are probably still shopping. Patience people!

Wow! I can't believe I'm the first to post after visiting the sale - I'm a newb so I'll explain what I can...

I live about 5 mins away from the warehouse so I guess that's why I'm first to the computer :)
The sale WAS huge - I got there about 9:45 and it was already open (advertised opening time was 10:00) - there were only 15- 20 people there. (I'm sure 95% TC'ers - haha)
There was one big room when you walked in - rows of huge carved tikis (some Asian, some not). I'm not sure on prices but stuff was priced high. Way beyond my price range so I didn't even ask.
Then there was another bigger room with boxes and boxes of stuff... plates, cups, bowls, scopion bowls, swizzle sticks, menehunes, parrots.
I was interested in the glass floats... there were maybe 20 or so, said to be from the Osaka restaurant. I got a large one - the float is 50 inches in circumference!!
I also got a moai scorpion bowl, tv's ashtray, 1972 tv's shell soup bowl, and a FREE tv's menu print!! Yes, they had a stack of 'em to take!
I stayed about an hour, by that time there were probably 40-50 people there, but still a TON of stuff!! There were only two (very helpful) ladies working the joint. They looked a little stressed, but also excited about all the interest!
Enjoy the pics! Sorry about the sideways ones - just wanted to get 'em up!

-da Pakalolo Man :D

[ Edited by: Pakalolo Man 2008-03-02 21:55 ]

Nice scores Pakalolo Man,

Thank you for posting them.

Next!

That poster is historically interesting because it depicts the 1980s "censored" p.c. version of the classic 1949 menu cover: The boobs are painted over with bras.

thanks big bro- did not know that - interesting :)

Hi just got back from the sale, we spent more than we were planning to.They had or have heaps of stuff

Table and chairs are from the tonga room got them at a different sale

I'm going to mount the frosted glass in a frame and hang it in my tiki bar.

that frosted glass would look great if you built a lite box for it so it could be backlit with a red or orange lite....

nice finds....i hate you!! LOL

...my day of reckoning is coming soon....the aku tiki auction is right around the corner!!

Mai Tai and Gator Rob,

Thanks for the words...back for the time being.

IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL TIKI DAY TODAY! Totally unbelievable and all for sale!

Any questions?

PTD

G

Ah, nice score, PTD! Sad though to see he's been castrated.

Alas, this is not mine, but a good friend whom joined me today. This is an amazing tiki and some may recognize this as a San Fransico TV tiki, formerly from TV Washington DC. Yes, all of these tikis have a pedigree. I will post my tiki pole (heh heh)and tiki after I clean and place them in their place of honor!

PTD

Those two helpful ladies mentioned in a previous post were Kiara and Michelle, later a couple more reinforcments showed up, but yes, A Big Thank You to Kiara and Michelle. You were spread thin, but were gracious and attentive.

Thank you again!

PTD

G

Ah yes, here he is (was) then at the SF Vic's:

S

so...what are prices like? I'm on the verge of jumping in the car for a quick 24 hour trip.

Wow, we had fun today. It was overwhelming... we'll probably go back tomorrow morning. Here's what we took home so far:

An Orchid Island Paddle from the Osaka Trader Vics
A Jade bladed axe
A float used in TV's restaurant as a lamp
2 small tapa cloths
1 large Mat aprox 5 x 6
A vintage mug and non vintage mug that match each other

Pix posted.

Three-legged dog purchased seperately... at 25% off..

On 2008-02-23 16:10, spy-tiki wrote:
so...what are prices like? I'm on the verge of jumping in the car for a quick 24 hour trip.

Anywhere from $5.00 for a set of salt and pepper shakers to $10,000.00 for a twenty foot outrigger. Not cheap, but not unreasonable. Think of it as an opportunity to own a piece of history. Chances to buy stuff like this do not come along that often, if ever!

PTD

Holy moly! That WAS a warehouse full! Some of the posts looked pretty authentic! What were those going for? And were they selling any complete colored frosted glass float lamps?

I don't think PTD's pal's Marquesan ever HAD a shlong. Looks like he was carved mitout. Still a classic.

J

I didn't price out the big tikis, simply because I have no room for one, but I did pick up a few nice things, and may go back tomorrow for more (I saw some menehune bowls to match the one I got from Holden). Here's what I got:
S&P set: $5
Helmut shell (that's what she wrote on the receipt) bowl: $20
4 mini Mai Tai glasses: $2 each
and a pale ocean blue frosted float with hole for light, approx 16" diameter: $60

Here's a pic of all but the float, which is still in the car because I didn't want to go back out in the rain to get it from the trunk.

and here's a pic of the mini mai tai glasses with a regular-sized one for comparison

Holy Crap Mookie, do you like in a Trader Vics?

It was an amazing sale! We had the very best time. The two ladies that were working the sale were the best! They obviously loved everything as much or more then the TC'ers.

We don't have any pictures to post because they are shipping everything back down to Santa Monica for us. We bought a super cool tiki from the Emeryville Trader Vics, a medium glass float, four menehune bowls and a ceramic abalone dish. It was incredible to be surrounded by so much beautiful history. We were surprised since before the sale there were so many negative posts. For us it felt like one of those once in a lifetime experiences.

wow, i think i would have overloaded, and went into a nervous breakdown if i had went in there (due to the fact i would have wanted so much, but not nearly the cash for all i wanted) i used to have that problem in good record stores where id find so much shit i wanted that id walk out with nothing....lol

I have to say that I'm glad I made it over to the sale today. I picked up one of the Helmet Shell bowls (mine is beige) used to serve the beloved Rum Giggle and one of the small (about 3.5 ft long) bamboo fish traps. I also picked up a box of wine glasses (unfortunately unmarked).
Overall there were some pretty amazing pieces and some more run-of-the-mill. Prices were reasonable for most things though and like others have said, the staff was helpful and knowledgeable. I would be surprised if the sale went on until the 29th like advertised... there was a guy there who seemed to be buying up quite a few choice tikis and filling his U-Haul!
Anyway, I'm tempted to go back if for nothing else just to look around and maybe for a glass float.
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

All of the tikis range in price from $45 (wee) to $3000 (11-13ft).

Vic's bought out all of the stock of the company in the far east that made tikis for them, so many of the tikis in the warehouse have never been used at a location. Be sure to check them carefully.

But there are several that do have a prime pedigree, as PTD said. The one that his friend got was part of a pair that were in SF Vic's, but prior to that they were in fact in front of Cosmo Place, per Eve Bergeron and the former CEO. His brother is now living in my garage. :)

They also have the 10+ foot tikis that were behind the bar at Vic's SF (Golden Gate)

The sale is a goldmine of beautiful stuff. Try to check it out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies