Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

wot is left of da once great Tahitian Lanai

Pages: 1 26 replies

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Feb 17, 2003 9:52 PM

one of the last tikis. you see dis guy on some of there menus. I want em but dats not gonna happen.

looks like a plant nursery fo da hotel next door

the coconut trees that once led you from da waikikian hotel to da tahian lanai are still there.

da lagoon you could walk too from da lanai

some of the ruins all piled up of TL. I can't believe it every time i see this pile!!

wot i would pay to see these tiki torches lit once again. If you eva visited the Tahitian Lanai, these pics will look familiar. If you neva visited this once great temple....i cannot type no words to describe it.

alohaz

Wow, what a shame. I looks like they're going to be working on the building. Any idea what might be coming in?

you need to steal that stuff bro!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Feb 19, 2003 2:14 AM

cannot, its all fenced in. da only reason you don't see da fence in some pix is because i held da camera ova da fence.

i never would feel safe stealing a tiki too, dats bad mana! if some one really wanted that stuff bad enough though it could happen.

No, you would not want to "liberate" that stuff. Nothing there REALLY looks worth stealing.
However, has anyone contacted the property owners to see if they would part with their pile of junk for a few bucks?
(It's not like they're doing anything with it - or have any plans to in the future.)
It'd be worth a shot!

And, hey, if they tell us to go to hell, THEN we can make up a plan to liberate our captive, fenced heros.
We don't have to consider it 'stealing', but rather think of it as 'reposessing'.

:sheckymug:

Gecko,
Did you evr get over to the Willows, or did I miss your post on that?
KG

J

Is that the same view as the Hilton Hawaiian Village, I think I recognize the lagoon? That's where we spent Xmas

G

yes you could get a hold of da owners but dey stey on da mainland ya. So, no udda way fo get em, unless like stingray wen sed "LIBERATE" or "Reposess" dem. Dats da same word as fatuhivas "jus steal em" but not as frank! you crack me up stingray.

eh KG,
I went to Willows about tree weeks ago....it SUCKED! looked nothing like da ol days ya. glass floats and thatch were exchanged for oriental style junk. I was told da new owners wen spent $5 million fo da renovation!! I would have done it for $5000 and made it look so ONO! like wun old polynesian restaurant. oh well....

braddah jtiki, ya das da same wun i tink. I neva stey down town in da hotels so i neva know? pretty shure.

F

"Nothing there REALLY looks worth stealing."

WHAAA?!?!

Look at those VINTAGE TIKIS!

I was once in the same boat over the Samoan Hotel or "aloha hotel" in Phoenix. The palce was all fenced off. It was getting gutted. I snuck inside and looked around one night with a flashlight- in the core of the building were some tiki poles.

I didnt steal them, I just figured I'd wait.

well I SHOULD HAVE figured out a way to get em outta there, cuz they just chopped em up and hauled them off.

Lost forever- probably what will happen here- think about it- what's WORSE mana?!?!

Those tiki's are calling.. listen cloooose you will heeear them...

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Feb 19, 2003 2:44 PM

you makin it hard on me. if i get a chance of saving them with the permision of the security guard($bribe$) i'll try it. that tiki is huge. I would have to cut it down to its feet and leave da rest. probubly with a hand saw for about an hour! dats work! i hate work!

Does anybody know how to contact the owners? I will find them and get the stuff. You can always just pull up in a pick-up and start taking the stuff and say you did talk to the owners and they are donating the stuff. Its usually best to do it when everyone is around and where a hard hat. It looks official

I'd try having a little chat with security first, gauge their friendliness, then ask for the Tikis if they seem ok. If they instantly go into asshole mode, walk away, and try to get in touch with the owner. No luck there, then go into the final dead-of-night "Pink Panther" mode.

Good luck!

Trader Woody

Just do it dagnabbit!

You could tell them you're in the architectual salvage business and probably get a chance to buy anything worth it on that lot...and I would approach the SECURITY GUARD first...They make about 18K a year. He may just smell a little free money and sell them to you for a song (I bet a C-note in his pocket would get all three and curb service! ). I have a gut feeling as well from looking at that site that the landfill is the final destination for those if someone doesn't get to 'em first. You get pretty daring about asking about things when you're an antique dealer like me....shame often takes a backseat to profit. But I'd sure as hell keep those tikis. :)

P.S. I'd love to see that first one patched up, sealed, and painted brown again par it's original glory for future generations to gaze upon! They really did a fine job on Mr. Bali Hai..

Save it! Steal it! Save it! Steal it! Bribe the guard! It's so fun and sneaky to show up with a lift gate truck, hard hats, bright orange (my linesman friend calls it "Don't shoot me orange") t-shirts, AND a chainsaw. I showed up with all this gear on private property (LA Metro) and salvaged a huge palm log that was near a debris pile. Not only did no one question me, most worker dudes waved. Cockiness and nonchalance will be the key to your success. HAVE A LOT OF FUN while your doing it and no one will question you. Take pictures of the salvage so I can experience the vicarious thrill of the crime.

Go to a used uniform store- get something official looking and just walk in and get to work.

I doubt anything would happen to you. Just play dumb if confronted.

G

even betta, I could come dressed as a "night marcher" it's an ol legend here on Hawaii that our ancestors march da islands to a drum and when peopo like us are confronted by them, we are sapose to get naked and lay on the ground so, they will look at you in shame and keep walking by.

i could do that about 2am when the guard starts seeing things because he is real tired then i will walk up slowly playing a drum, then he will freak out and get butt naked and lay flat on de ground while I get to work. I'll tell him that king Kamehameha sent me to retreive the tiki for his temple.

great idea guys! thanks!

HOK

then he will freak out and get butt naked and lay flat on de ground while I get to work...

Ho,easy big fella, this isn't Hulas........:D

I think tikifille's idea might be best...if you look like a lazy ass worker who dosn't want to take the stuff, they won't think anything of it. (Besure and ask the guards to give you a hand...make them show you the TeePee Poles)
Put out Road Cones, and make them sign a bunch of bogus paperwork. (make them want to avoid you)

On 2006-04-17 06:01, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

Hulas in Monterey, CA?

S

Check the date. This was 3 years ago. It's likely either gotten or gone now.

HOK

On 2006-04-17 11:22, Unga Bunga wrote:

Hulas in Monterey, CA?

Hulas in Waikiki, gay bar...not sure if still around.

HOK

On 2006-04-17 11:22, Unga Bunga wrote:

Hulas in Monterey, CA?

Hulas in Waikiki, gay bar...not sure if still around.

L

On 2003-02-19 22:02, tikifille wrote: show up with a lift gate truck, hard hats, bright orange (my linesman friend calls it "Don't shoot me orange") t-shirts, AND a chainsaw. I showed up with all this gear on private property (LA Metro) and salvaged a huge palm log that was near a debris pile. Not only did no one question me, most worker dudes waved. Cockiness and nonchalance will be the key to your success. HAVE A LOT OF FUN while your doing it and no one will question you.
that is DAMN funny. and true.
also ya won't believe what ya can do jez wearin da civvies da local attitude.

we ate as a family at this place for breakfast in the early 70s...right near the Hawaiian Village,huh?
The Smorgy is still there...Perrys. We were there last Sept. at a hotel right by it..so of course we didnt eat there. went to Dukes though...

I

is it possible to "repair" the pictures ?

On 2003-02-17 21:52, GECKO wrote:
one of the last tikis. you see dis guy on some of there menus. I want em but dats not gonna happen.

looks like a plant nursery fo da hotel next door

the coconut trees that once led you from da waikikian hotel to da tahian lanai are still there.

da lagoon you could walk too from da lanai

some of the ruins all piled up of TL. I can't believe it every time i see this pile!!

wot i would pay to see these tiki torches lit once again. If you eva visited the Tahitian Lanai, these pics will look familiar. If you neva visited this once great temple....i cannot type no words to describe it.

alohaz

Pages: 1 26 replies