Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Tapa Outrigger Lamp is hung and back in action!!!!

Pages: 1 32 replies

OK quick background- Polynesian themed restaurant in San Bernardino- according to Critiki - "Trader Island was likely operating in the '60s, possibly the '50s. By 1970, the site had become Edwin Tan's Chinese Gardens. The location is now Mandarin Garden. "

Well during the final days of Mandarin Garden this last June, the owner, knowing my love for tiki sold me the one Moai volcano bowl they had, and several ceramic clam shell bowls they serve scorpions in.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24686&forum=5

There was a tapa outrigger canoe lamp hanging in the bar area. I asked MG owner if I could buy it. He said the new guy (Toro Bravo) had already taken inventory and he couldn't sell it.

So Toro Bravo opens, 2 buildings away from the most well established Mexican restaurant in Berdoo - The Mexico Cafe. We go in, food and service were horrible, but the lamp was still hanging in the bar. I asked the new guy about the lamp and he agreed to my offer but said I'd need to come back after something lease related was finalized in a week or so...well Toro Bravos doors weren't open for very long and I wasn't ever able to get in touch with the guy again.

At least once a week, for the past 5 months we'd drive by it on the way to dinner and waited for some sign of activity. Then last week there was activity, a new sign goes up, Scorpions Sport Bar. Well OK I am not much for sports bars, but hey it's got a scorpion for the logo, and the doors will be unlocked, and anything is better than the building getting demo'd. So it opened on Thursday, and tonight we finally had a chance to go in. Only a few people were there but they were welcoming. As we walked over to the bar, gasp the lamp is not hanging there anymore! I had said we wanted to see what was happening to the place. New guy says - Oh did you guys come when it was Mandarin Garden? I said yes, and then popped the question - Do you know what happened to the old lamp that was hanging right there? He said - get this - oh are you the guy that wanted to buy it? Jason (MG owner) told me not to throw it away and that he knew you'd be back for it. It's in the back if you want it. I couldn't believe it! After all these months I had come to grips with the fact that it may be in the county landfill by now...but no it is mine!! So I went home and got my truck and swung by the atm and brought it home!

There are a couple more souvenirs he is saving for me to pick up next weekend, not as exciting as the bowl or the lamp, but items that are important to me, and important to the history of the building.

So enough blabbing - onto the lamp. It is 6'7" long and 33" wide. I thought it may be from OA but it looks different from the picture of their outrigger tapa lamp in the catalog I saw on TC. I may take it down there on my next trip and ask them if they made it.

Anybody got any advice on repairing those tears? For the most part the tears are just tears, the flaps just need to be closed up. Can I Mod Podge something onto the inside as a patch, that will still let light though?

Pretty cool late Xmas gift eh? I know another local restaurant that MG owner still owns, I will be going by there soon to personally thank him for telling the new guy not to throw it away...

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2008-01-01 21:47 ]

J

Wow! That's really sweet! I expect that Monkeyman or Kahaka could help you out with info on how to mend the tapa since they work with the stuff all the time for lamps. But personally, I would head over to OA, get some new tapa and recover the whole thing.

Great score, John! Happy New Year to you!

Thanks Jentiki, Happy New Year to you too. I'd like to make an attempt to patch it first, I really like the tapa design, and I dig the "patina" look too.

A little more about the building itself- this tiki is in the middle of the dining room. It is on a metal stand that may be about 2 feet tall. The guy who own the building apparently has turned down $2K for the tiki.

This is another pic I took in the dining room showing the faux rock planter around the room.

I actually don't have any good ones of the building from the outside, yet. It is a quite amazing A-frame. This is all I have, matching shirt was a coincidence.

You can get a better look at the outside from this matchbook in Ookoo Lady's collection.

The new guy tonight told me there are supposed to be some old pictures around somewhere upstairs that supposedly show Marilyn Monroe, among others, there.

I'll keep digging...

MT

Hey, that is great score John! I agree on not replacing the old tapa, it's way cool with the old stuff colored from years of age and smoke. Plus I really like that pattern that's already on it.

Yeah, between Monkeyman, Kahaka, Tikiskip, and maybe a few others like Bamboo Ben and Basement Kahuna, and Bob and Leroy over at OA, you can probably figure out the correct way to patch it. Maybe a blank piece of tapa modge podge'd on the inside would work - maybe they know some other fabric substitute to use instead of blank tapa. I don't know if it would be better to use a skinny piece to just patch each tear, or put a large piece the size of the whole section with the tear. Either way, the thickness of the patching is going to show through in some way when the light from the bulbs inside shines through. Maybe you can modge podge a whole new layer inside of the entire lamp, for consistency.

I'll tell you something, that outrigger lamp has inspired me, and I am going to try to make one myself very soon!

Very Cool Aloha John,

Congratulations!

What a great way to start the New Year.

Great! That building was always one of my favorite A-frames, glad it is still standing! But why do Mexicans have to paint A-frames pink !? (see Tahitian Village, Tiki Modern page 270). Never mind the Tiki pole! Last time I saw the place was when I drove back from the closing day of Santa's Village.
They used to have a Leilani Rum Vacuform Tiki there that I coveted, wonder who got him. That Outrigger lamp was probably made by Oceanic Arts, they should have ideas how to fix the Tapa, I would leave it, too.

S

First I would take a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment and gently brush away any dust you can. This is a great way to clean old lamps safely. You can probably do the repair with bonding web from the fabric store. Cut it to fit and iron it on and its done. It's white and would likely be un-noticable and would seal it right up.

Keep it original!

Cool story!
Your story is a lot like it was to get the Kahiki stuff I have.
It just does not fall in your lap.

Try to find a translucent paper maybe that stuff we used to make
model air planes with.
Test it first. Just lay paper inside and light it.
If you get the right glow. Use it.
Swankys right clean the lamp before you start.
First lay paper inside trace size to fit 1.5 inches larger than true fit.
Also get a low tack spray adhesive spray the paper you use and the
lamp paper inside.
Now lay paper inside. Trim to size.
You can glue around the edges of new paper to make a secure fit.
This method should not harm old tapa.
I would also keep the old tapa.
Cool lamp!!!

Thanks for all the advice fellas. For now I am just going to dust off the outside, replace the fixtures, and hang it in the tiki lounge and admire it! I'll get to the repair later in Jan.

I'll try to take it to OA next Saturday. If they did make I bet they'll get a kick out of seeing it has survived!

Whoever did make it cared about the aesthetics for sure. I notice all the bamboo trim is drilled and tied on with what looks like fishing line. And the pieces were cut so that the node spacing is consistent too. Also notice all the relief cuts in the curved bamboo piece on the keel(?).

Mai Tai- the framework itself looks pretty simply to make. If you need any other reference pics when you make one let me know. I may even make one too, now that I see how simple it is. The tapa would be the biggest expense, and I would think the most challenging part of the build.

Sven - the building has been that color for quite a while so I don't know that it was a Mexican that painted it that way. I do know the guy that owns the building is Asian, and he owned it during the Mandarin Garden days too. I think I was told he'd sell if for 2 million. That tiki pole is pretty funky, do you know anything about it? The Leilani Rum Vacuform Tiki you mentioned seeing there...is it what you are describing here:

"This is exactly the bottle I have been looking for for my Leilani Rum Vacuform display Tiki. This Tiki was an age old obsession of mine until I found one in Waikiki in '99. For those of you who know the Vacuform wall-Tikis at the Tiki Ti that have the drink menu scratched into them, THEY are those. They used to have big feet that the Leilani Rum bottle stood on, backlit by a bulb behind the bottle, and by bulbs in the Tiki. A nice item."

I'll keep my eyes peeled over there...how tall are they, I don't recall seeing it at the Tiki Ti. I'll get some shots of the building later today, it's only 2 miles from my house.

Swanky- taking an iron to it sounds kinda scary, and I don't think I could get the iron in all the spots I'd need to. Does that stuff only need a little heat to set? I'd need to hold the torn flaps against the bonding web from the outside too.

One more thing you may have tapa missing in spots.
Use a magic marker to color in those spots.
I would also do the whole lamp.
Reinforce with paper that is.

Thanks tikiskip! You posts came in while I was typing. I like your idea. Is that also the kind of paper commonly seen on lamps like this sconce at OA?

And perhaps the middle one here too (also at OA)

I've got plans to make some lamps and needed to get some of that anyway. I will need to make some relief cuts in the paper to get it to follow the curves of the hull right? Does that type of paper have a name?

I'm not sure about the first lamp.
That is probably a fiberglass type paper.
The second lamp is a fiberglass tube.
I can't find those anywhere. The tube that is.
Don't know about any relief cuts.
Looks like you will have about 15 oblong squares,
glued in each panel.
Don't know the name of that paper. Hobby store will.
Plus Dick Blick has all kind of paper.
OA will know better that I how to fix your lamp.
Good Luck!!

Here is a lamp fix I did on a Kahiki lamp.
Not a great match on the paper.
But I had to do this patch on the outside.
Small tube.
But when it's haging high you can't tell.
This will give you an idea.

S

The bonding web is used through other materials when you iron. Go to the fabric store and look at the various types of this stuff. A quick hot iron on it and you are set for life. Probably you can take a towel and hold it on the outside as you iron on th einside and get it fixed.

K

On 2007-12-31 10:23, Aloha John wrote:
Thanks tikiskip! You posts came in while I was typing. I like your idea. Is that also the kind of paper commonly seen on lamps like this sconce at OA?

This stuff is a fiberglass paper called synskin. They sell it at Tap Plastics out here in California. If ya use it, you'd have to stain it to match the tapa. It's pretty bone white.

AJ

I vacuumed as much dust as I could with the brush attachment. I used about 20 qtips to excavate the crevices. I'm not sure if that has been cleaned for 40 years. There was even some mouse poo in it! I got new sockets and lamp wires installed, new extension cord, added 2 25 watt bulbs and fired her up!

She is now proudly hanging in my Tiki Lounge. I had to move my Monkeyman tapa lamp and reposition a puffer.

We will probably track down the supplies for the repair job this weekend. Once it's fixed up and goes back on the hooks I will slip some lamp chain over each of my wire hangers since the open top illuminates them oh so nicely.

Oh and thanks Kahaka for the name of that paper! That will help me track it down for my one of my other lamp projects.

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2008-01-01 21:51 ]

BB

I love how you're not wasting any time. Nicely done Aloha John.

Ha ha thanks...I just had to see it lit up!

And considering how big and fragile this thing is, I really don't have any place to put it except hung on hooks!

H

MORE--MORE! Where are you at with this project. It's bee-U-tee-ful, even all busted up. I'm with Mai Tai--inspired and will have to put a similar project on my to-do list.

On 2007-12-31 10:07, Aloha John wrote:
I do know the guy that owns the building is Asian, and he owned it during the Mandarin Garden days too. I think I was told he'd sell if for 2 million.

Maybe he has some old ext/int photos from its heyday! Unfortunately, oldtimer owners are often protective of their privacy.

That tiki pole is pretty funky, do you know anything about it?

No, it is so distorted by that paint job...very cartoony, such a cool "stretched" look...cannot pinpoint the style.

The Leilani Rum Vacuform Tiki you mentioned seeing there...is it what you are describing here:
"This is exactly the bottle I have been looking for for my Leilani Rum Vacuform display Tiki. This Tiki was an age old obsession of mine until I found one in Waikiki in '99. For those of you who know the Vacuform wall-Tikis at the Tiki Ti that have the drink menu scratched into them, THEY are those. They used to have big feet that the Leilani Rum bottle stood on, backlit by a bulb behind the bottle, and by bulbs in the Tiki. A nice item."

Yep, and here it is:

Lit with a flat flash

with available light, so one can see the glow from the bulb inside

Here is the bottle that it was made for:

..and the mug we all know and have was offered here:

If anybody ever comes across that bottle, lemme know. If that vacuform Tiki is not there any more, someone might have swiped it.

S

Here's the complete set:

LT

On 2008-01-04 10:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
..and the mug we all know and have was offered here:

I'm tempted to send $3 to the address...

BK

WOW! Awesome lamp! Hey is that a Krate bike I see there!?!?

T

On 2008-01-04 10:08, bigbrotiki wrote:

Maybe he has some old ext/int photos from its heyday! Unfortunately, oldtimer owners are often protective of their privacy.

Sven a lot of these guys who start these restaurant/bars are so busy praying
that they make money they have no time for photos.
And if they do make money they are so busy ruining around making the place go that
they have no time for photos.
Then ten years later after pouring there life into that place the bloom is off the rose.
They now LOVE and HATE the place!
Most of the photos that we see of these places are not taken by the owners.

great score john! that lamp really is a beauty and you're going to do it justice repairing it and bringing it back from the dead. it already looks great hung in your lounge.

THanks for the close up shots and construction shots - you can really see the care and attention to detail that OA makes sure is put into all their products.

how's the restoration going?

This restaurant was my first exposure to TIki. My uncle used to work there and my parents started taking me there in 1975.
The decor was done my Oceanic Arts, I learned this from Leroy himself when he told me that the original owner ripped him off and never paid them for the Tiki's and decor they provided.
In the '70's and '80's this place looked unbelievably cool. It's the coolest Polynesian place I've ever been to yet, and the recent photos don't so it justice at all. It looks completely different.
There were large Tikis outside in the parking lot and you would enter by crossing a bridge leading over a koi pond and waterfall.
Upon entering the large double doors, you would be greeted by a large stone waterfall wall cascading into another koi pond.
To the right was the bar, to the left was the dining area. As you walked into the dining area, you were greeted by Hawaiian music.
The booths were red and each table had a red lantern over it. The booths were all separated by hanging bead curtains.
The interior walls were false lava rock with artificial plants on top leading up to the large wooden A-frame ceiling.
This made it look like you were eating inside of some kind of volcanic garden. There were '60's style satellite lights hanging from the high ceilings,
and large paper lanterns. The food was incredibly good. The best food I've ever had in my life and I hate that I can't get it anymore!
It was a mix of polynesian and chinese cuisine. I would always eat the Pagoda Dinner. They made the BEST egg foo young, the BEST sweet and sour pork,
and had the BEST fried rice and fried shrimp I've ever had. I started going there in '75 when I was 3 and stopped going in '94 in my late 20's because
by then, the restaurant had changed owners and San Bernardino had gone down the drain. It's sad really. It was and still is my favorite place ever.
I tried buying the large TIki from the new owners in 2000, but they refused to sell it even though it didn't fit the present decor of the building.
If only you could have experienced this place in it's hey day like I did, you would all be in TIki heaven. I think of this place often and dream...

RIP Trader Island / Imperial Palace Inn

8T

I have always liked the tapa outrigger in this thread and I definitely have a perfect spot for one like it but I never thought I would have one. But that all changed recently when Mrs. 8FT & I acquired this fantastic vintage version of the outrigger lamp. Now, since we have become the "unofficial repository for anything from the former Kona Kai locations here in the Kansas City area", I am hoping to one day find information which will identify this lamp as supplied by Oceanic Arts and installed as original decor at one of the 2 KK's here. Our lamp is in original condition and will not require much restoration to get it ready to install here. I need to take some measurements, make a long power cord and figure out the support hangers and such to put it up near the ceiling. It's gonna be so awesome!

Here's a couple of shots of it hanging up when we got it and a few more closer up when we got it home. More shots of it hanging up and lit here coming soon...I hope SOON!

That is awesome !!!!!

Surely you have it up by now??? Lets see!!

The "TIPSI" factor in your house exceeds MOST current tiki bars, no doubt!

8T

Well, I finally emptied my camera and got all of the photos fixed so here are some shots of the process of fixing, rewiring and hanging of the canoe light.
Probably way too many photos but you might like them anyway. So here we go!

First I needed to replace the cord because it was way too short. I needed to buy 33 feet of lamp cord to reach from the top of the vaulted ceiling and down the wooden beams to the closest outlet. I also put in new bulbs that do not produce the heat that the old type did.

So next I need to cover the hole that was used by the previous owner to get access to the interior.

It may have also been right up against an electric box but anyhow, I didn't want the light leaking out onto the ceiling. So I put a dark piece of foam to correct that.

Now that it was ready to hang up, I wanted to make the brass colored hanging hooks disappear into the dark beams so I painted them.

Now I had to drill the holes in the beam for the anchors. Yea it's time to climb the ladder way up to the top. (My least favorite part of this project!!!)

Whew, holes are done and now while I am resting before actually hauling the canoe up the ladder, my courageous cat decided to go up to inspect my work.

This little guy has NO fear of heights unlike his owner.

OK, he finally got down so now I have to actually install this thing. I'm glad it isn't any heavier.

Here's when I am really glad I measured everything correctly.

Ta Da!! It's Up! Fits really well between the ceiling fans.

Now all lit up. Just how we imagined.

So here's a few more views from different angles and a few more shots of the room it is in.
"The Last Resort" Lair of the 8Foot tikis. Thanks for looking!

I once was lost.....but now I'm found.....

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2014-04-24 18:26 ]

Looks Awesome!!!

Great job on the install. How high is that A-Frame peak? Fearless cat. Now, to find a photo of that hanging up in the Kona Kai.

DC

H

Awesome job. Looks perfect at home.

Pages: 1 32 replies