Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Star Trek Scores and Exotica Connections

Pages: 1 12 replies

Am I the only one who thinks that the origonal series scores were chock full of Les Baxter like scores reflective of exotica; everything from the origonal theme song to any number of the scores associated with alien bar and dance scenes, fight sequences, and or romantic romps between Kirk and who knows who?

You might be interested in this. :)

......Nope, your not alone. Ive always thought a lot of the score had nice, corny island undertones to it. After all,they WERE on a ship!.........Remy

TM

Technically speaking, there were two original types of exotica; Tiki and Jungle. I believe that space music came from the Jungle branch. There is definately a connection between vintage science fiction music and exotica. The star trek theme is actually very jazzy, with some similar chords to the "I love Lucy Theme". And there are Bongos.

How are you defining the two branches?

TM

Tiki is specifically polynesian inspired (Fake polynesian) and Jungle is more cinematic, and non geo-specific. Jungle is more along the lines of Les Baxter, could be african, could be south american, could be anything exotic and wild. Tiki seems to be more confined to Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, etc..thought latin music is a connecting thread between the two.

Then you have the space sound, which was in vogue around the time of Tiki and Jungle. I guess it could be a separate entity, however as it was used in many movies and TV, I seem to want to put it as an offshoot of Jungle. Esquivel would be an example.

So true, although the scenes in Star Trek of gyrating dancing green women sound so exotica. I appreciate your discourse on the muscial branches.

TM

Oh, Star trek is my favorite googie vision!!

I like all that stuff. Any building that has fake lava rock walls and sputniks on the roof, disneyland before the 1980's when tomorrowland was still cool, and any music that has vibes, organ, harpsichord, jazz flute, marimba, exotic percussion and theramin!

The cover of the ultra lounge "space capades" and the inside sleeve says it all- a 50's era astronaut drinking space cocktales with groovy martian broads! Wow!

http://www.spaceagepop.com/lpspace.htm

On 2007-10-15 17:35, lucas vigor wrote:
Tiki is specifically polynesian inspired (Fake polynesian) and Jungle is more cinematic, and non geo-specific. Jungle is more along the lines of Les Baxter, could be african, could be south american, could be anything exotic and wild. Tiki seems to be more confined to Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, etc..thought latin music is a connecting thread between the two.

Thanks for clarifying. I hear where you're coming from, but I would also offer the following - and feel free to disagree with me on this: I think distinctions such as this are easier to make with several decades of hindsight. It is very likely that Martin Denny and Les Baxter were both trying to evoke the same sorts of moods and images, and that each was doing so with the instruments, number of musicians, and budgets available. Whenever you try to portray the literal with music, you're using abstractions, and to a large degree relying on cultural assumptions. It's not an exact science.

Still, I understand what you're saying. The mere use of a symphony orchestra involves employing a huge, broad canvas that more likely suggests something huge, like a jungle or volcano. A smaller jazz combo with exotic percussion is better at portraying something more subtle and quiet, like an island breeze.

Cheers!

OnyaBirri

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2007-10-15 18:29 ]

O'yes, I found it. Exotica in Space. If there are any unbelievers, this will cure them. Star Trek is Poly Pop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN3-6stydFg

Another example of the poly pop influence is the episode, "The Apple". This is the one with the dragon-head like God named Vaal, ruler of a south pacific type paradise.

The "Space Radio" track by Fred Steiner on Varese Saraband's first Start Trek (TOS) soundtrack release is pure exotica.

I only wish the very first (Crescendo?) ST music release "Where No Man Has Gone Before" had a much longer cover of the Orion Slave Girl's dancing music ("Nice place you got here, Mr. Pike..."). That's some steamin' otherworldly exotica hot enough to turn your skin green. Oooo.

SOK

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-05-11 13:13 ]

TM

On 2007-10-15 18:28, OnyaBirri wrote:

On 2007-10-15 17:35, lucas vigor wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. I hear where you're coming from, but I would also offer the following - and feel free to disagree with me on this: I think distinctions such as this are easier to make with several decades of hindsight. It is very likely that Martin Denny and Les Baxter were both trying to evoke the same sorts of moods and images, and that each was doing so with the instruments, number of musicians, and budgets available. Whenever you try to portray the literal with music, you're using abstractions, and to a large degree relying on cultural assumptions. It's not an exact science.

Still, I understand what you're saying. The mere use of a symphony orchestra involves employing a huge, broad canvas that more likely suggests something huge, like a jungle or volcano. A smaller jazz combo with exotic percussion is better at portraying something more subtle and quiet, like an island breeze.

Cheers!

OnyaBirri

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2007-10-15 18:29 ]

Yeak, I pretty much agree. Back then, they did not have any distinctions. Although, I think they would have called what they were doing "Jazz". Now we call it lounge, exotica, space-pop, poly-pop, etc...

Pages: 1 12 replies