Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

B

Freddi, thanks, but this mid sized Moai is a Coon Tiki door prize, sign up and have a 1 in 10 chance of owning it for free!.

Thanks to you too Ben, May I ask Why the "Sad Tuesday"? Hope every thing's OK

HERE ARE LINKS TO PREVIOUSLY POSTED PICTURES AND THREADS:

And a link to the NEXT FUTURE THREAD Starting March 06 2009

Here is a link to MY THIRD THREADStarting July2 2007

Heres the link to myMY SECOND THREAD starting Feb 02 2006

Heres the link to MY FIRST THREAD starting in Feb 02, 2004

Some links to Previous pic's posted which Shutterfly changed the links to and are empty boxes in the old posts:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3asbO
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3ascw
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3asbs
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3ascS
I may try to create a BenZart Library thread of only pictures with no
commentary.___________
myspace
myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-06-26 17:08 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 10, 2007 6:57 AM

First comment! :D Love it!

-G

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 10, 2007 7:16 AM

Imagine how many more tiki carvings Ben could do, if he didn't do all these posts on TC :lol:

Seriously, over half the carvers on here started in large part due to Ben's inspirational work and encouragement - I know I'm definitely one! :D

So Ben, where's the new tiki carvings already man? :D :lol: :D

First comment! Love it!

-G

? ? ?

Thank you Ben for sharing so much with us! It would be kind of strange to see all your carvings collected without commentary,because that's half the pleasure-hearing you explain and inform gives the pieces an even deeper meaning! Thatnks for the tons of motivation and inspiration!

On 2007-07-10 08:40, little lost tiki wrote:
Thank you Ben for sharing so much with us! It would be kind of strange to see all your carvings collected without commentary,because that's half the pleasure-hearing you explain and inform gives the pieces an even deeper meaning! Thatnks for the tons of motivation and inspiration!

+1 !!!!

Amy

J

Wheww! A fresh thread. The sheer number of pictures on the last one sent my computer to overload! Darn dial up anyways.

Whats the latest project?

On 2007-07-10 08:40, little lost tiki wrote:

I agree - but at the same time it would be cool to take a wander through back-to-back brilliance and let your own mind do the talking...

*Cant wait to see the first new piccies kicking this next 100pages off!

Tama :)

:D

B

Nothing's really bad, just a rainy day as always in Paris and a day without carving on the menu for me (too much work).
Thanks for caring :wink:

Benjamin.

B

Thanks EVERYONE for the Great response to Closing a thread, I Apologize for the large amount of pictures.
I'm still working on the Coon Tiki Moko/Moai and the Jade Pendant version is in the Market place

I'll have more, Better pictures later today.

B

Ben, That yellow hue behind the jade there looks mighty sweet....nice picture!....brilliant work!

B

B R I L L I A N T.

B

Is it the wednesday moai fever ?
I'm :) :) :)

P.S: your name's not bad too :wink:

Benjamin.

I checked the pix of the jade Moai in Marketplace and deeeaaamn there is a ton of detail(moko) on that guy....impressive as always.

B

Thanks Babalu, just Sunlight.
Benella and Benelll, Thanks and your name's pretty cool too!
Freddi, Thanks and it was So Much fun,
I appreciate you alls support.

Here's an update on the Coon Tiki Piece along with a couple Jade Moai and the Moko/Moai

J

The coon tiki piece is looking alive, almost like it could stand up and finish it self. It is amazing how you capture such expression and can bring it out of the wood.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jul 14, 2007 6:13 AM

Ben,

The Coontiki Moai is looking sharp. He's gonna be a spitting image of his Kiwi-cousin. #13 agrees.

Boy does that new green Moai look sweet! So you were crazy enough to put "all those lines on him"? I thought so. I have never once doubted your insanity. What's the plan for these new rough jade Moai pieces? Similar madness or are they gonna get the smoothee look? Bring it, 'cause I need a Benzart fix while I'm sidelined doing metal work.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-07-14 15:18 ]

B

Thanks JP, I'll be showing you some of those tricks Soon at Coon Tiki. Can't wait, and its coming up soon.

GMAN, thanks for the props and belief in me . I Really wasn't sure I would be able to pull it off until I was done. You should come to Coon Tiki, you would really do well there. after I showed you all I know (which only takes a few hours) then you put that together with all YOU Already know and I'll be taking lessons from you next time! Besides you aren't doing anything then, Right? :) :) :)
Thanks Sir

R
Robin posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 3:01 PM

Hey Benz....the expressions are really what makes this work....they are so alive. I hope you never stop doing lines....I love them, and you do them sooooooooooooo well! And that beautiful soft finish...well...now I'm jealous. Really nice Ben...

We're going to have to start calling you 'Mr Moai'! I reckon if you'd been on the Island a few hundred years ago, they'd have made you Master Carver and the legacy would have been even greater. How on earth do you make them more Moai than Moai?? Its like this is what they were trying to do all this time.. :lol:

*Do you know what sort of stone this is? Looks like it will have some amazing colour/s when sanded up.

On 2007-07-11 19:37, Benzart wrote:

Ive been chatting to one excited TCer, coming to meet you at Coon Tiki. Be sure to snap a few pix for us stranded on the Islands wont you? Wish I could be there. Have a great time!

Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 17, 2007 6:32 PM

Yeah Ben, I would love to hang with you and Johnny in TN, but it's probably not the best place for me. I have lots to do here anyway. You and I will have a monster carving session here in FL soon, I promise. Nice talking to you today - but the storms killed my signal. I'll ring ya tomorrow afternoon.

-G

B

Thanks Robin, Glad you like this guy and don't worry, I won't stop carving the lines for awhile anyway.

Thanks Tama, the strange thing is that when I first started back carving here at TC, I really didn't care for the Moai that much as there was not that much interesting going on in them,,Well,,, until I tried to carve one and found out how simply impossible it was to get right. I believe you that IF I had been around back then things might have been different but not like now because it is the influx of the other islands and cultures that were all melded and mixed up and when they come out of my mind they are ,well, just Different, but kind of the same. I'm glad you like them and since you have one first hand to look at, I'm sure you have studied out and analyzed every line on it. I wish I knew the answers.
That stone came form eBay marked Jade with numbers beside it and it carves differently like it is something else. If I find out I'll let you know.
I will post lots of Coon tiki pix!
Thanks Tama.

GMAN, Thanks, I tried calling you back but all I got was some wierd static and nothing else.. I Know you are busy and needing to move the Doc and get her all situated, but SOON, I can feel it! Thanks.
Heres the update for today. My brother showed up today, haven't seen him for 4 years but I managed too get work done anyway. Here is some Granite I ran across first,

And the Moko/Moai Updates:

WOW! Amazing!

B

I love it
:) :) :)

well, jade #7 and #6 are now happily hanging out in cali.

the moko turned out awesome! it's my favorite benzart jade to date. i can't believe it went unsold in marketplace for 3 days before i couldn't stand it any more and snagged it. i had just bought #6 and wanted everybody else to have a chance to own an amazing piece of ben's art. oh well, everybody else's loss is my gain. i'm interested to see what you do with the granite. it's certainly beautiful stone, but won't it be hard to see the finer details in it?

B

Thanks Tikifreak1 and Benella, Appreciate the kind words.

Bullet, Nice picture of the last to boys, though the one on the right looks Old with his gray hair. I guess when your lucky, you're lucky. I'm Happy that you love that Moko/Moai so much as for me he was very difficult to let go. I really thought I would end up keeping one, but it's OK because I can make another. :D :D :D

Here is the update for the Coon Tiki Piece. Who will end up with him? One lucky Coon Tiki participant will win him...

Awesome work, Ben. Not to worry, though-- I know the one you help me with will be just as good as that one.

Actually just hoping to come home with ten fingers. Really looking forward to seeing you and that beautiful Moai in person.

Love those jade Moais Benz!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jul 18, 2007 3:35 PM

Show-off! :D

S

Right now, that's a one in seven chance! Great odds. Looking forward to more larnin'. Anyone left on the fence about attending, git r dun now!

B

Thanks Pappy, I hope you come home with your ten fingers and Two thumbs too, where'd you get the extra fingers? :) See 'ya there.

Thanks Cheeky Half and you too maybe GMAN?

Swanky knows, times getting short.
Heres todays update and some green stone of some kind too! He still needs more carving and sanding but I Had to see it polished up.
First the Mystery stone:

Then the Moko/Moai with first coat of Stain:

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 19, 2007 6:01 PM

Whoa!!! Stunned...glazed eyes....jaw hits floor....that's too good. How much further can you take a Moai, Ben? Damn....

-G

Deaamnn....... Looks unreal!!!! Spectacular chops, Ben.....Wow~

On 2007-07-19 16:35, Benzart wrote:

First the Mystery stone:

*Still a mystery..? Is there any translucency at the edges? Its really pretty. Very Tiki.

Then the Moko/Moai with first coat of Stain:

Woah, big boy! Kinda reminds me of the potters-wheel scene from 'Ghost'.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A chance to win this beauty as well as learning from the Master? Damn. Can I participate by correspondance..?

TTT :wink:

B

Thanks GMAN, I think thats about it, no farther..

Thanks Freddi.

Thank you too Tama, Sure correspondence works, you have a Long arm or knife blade? :) :)
No there is No Translucency at all. Also the water coming off the burs was like Muddy, not clear white.
It must be a "Jade" Granite?
Thanks T3

Whew..dat's a hot one! I wish I was going to CoonTiki just to touch it. And
just to have a chance to own it...but that would never happen to me. Incredible.

B

Thanks Conga, Come on Down? I wonder if you need to be present to win it, maybe not?

P

good grief, don't you even take a day off to celebrate the day you came into the world?

happy happy day of oxygen my friend. celebrate it over and over and every day.

great stuff as always. i'm just glad i'm on the list somewhere.

thanks for everything you do and give to our community.

B

Fantastic piece, Ben.

What you said on top makes me think it is quite hard or impossible to carve a piece like one you've already carved... but you reached it.
This moko/moai is even more beautiful than the first one ( sorry Tama, your Benz's moko/moai is still top class, I swear :wink: ). That is a good example to encourage me to carve more and more :wink:

P.S:

On 2007-07-19 20:36, Benzart wrote:
Thanks Conga, Come on Down? I wonder if you need to be present to win it, maybe not?

Does it mean that every fan of your art ( like me for example :wink: ) can win it ?

Benj

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 20, 2007 3:54 PM

Ben, that might be jadeite, as opposed to nephrite, although it usually has some translucency. A mottled nephrite that has oxidised a lot will produce a muddy brown streak too.
I've found that US rockhounds are a little like the Chinese in calling a lot of stones "jade" that don't fit the strict definition (ie nephrite or jadeite), especially when it comes to Californian gemstones. The rockhound/home lapidary craze was contemporary with the tiki fad (ie post-war escapism) and Jade was very popular with its exotic Eastern connotations, so new discoveries of green gemmy material were often named "(insert locale here) jade".
Can you a get a extreme macro closeup of the outer weathered surface, and a nice one of the flat face of the unworked slab?

That Moai is so cool - what a neat idea, he's brought along a bottle of rum for everyone to share at CoonTiki! Oh, wait.. hang on a sec... :blush:

i have no idea what kine stone it is, but i know it looks great turned into a benzart moai. the moko dude is great. one of the carvers is not only gonna get expert advice but get to take home a treasure. bravo ben!

B

Hi Perry,
I Actually DID take my b-day off and my Step brother whom I haven't seen in 5 years dropped by and stayed for dinner and 7 hours. Perry thanks for the props you are very thoughtful at times and it makes this old fart smile.

Benella it IS Difficult to carve another piece better than the first but sometimes we can do it, Tamas piece is downright awesome and this one is just as awesome. I'm NOT trying to out do Tamas piece, but I want this one to stand on his own. This one was made to woo the wood carvers into joining us at Coon Tiki so we have 10 or 12 people and that would be nice. Actually this Coon Tiki might be the last as it is just about too much work and I am not able to do much of the things required of me to put this together even on my end, so spread the word, this is the last one I Think. Anyway it CAN be done, Benella, thanks for your kind words and continued support .
NO,,, Every fan of my art is NOT CONGA Man and never will be but you Might be able toqualify long distance but doubtful,.

Paipo, Here are a Bunch of pictures. I got what you asked as nearly as I could and you can see SOME Answers there but like you said, it IS a Pretty Stone.

Here is the carving with 5 coats of lacquer buffed out:

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Jul 20, 2007 10:27 PM

Hi Ben! This Moai is amazing. I LOVE all the swirls in the pattern. How is it that you make all of your pieces come alive? I don't know how you do it. It's just beautiful work.

Zaya

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jul 21, 2007 5:41 AM

Oh yeah, Ben, this guy is magnificent. I love his jaw line and chin, and how you shaped the underside of his jaw. His facial features really draw me in and the hook-moko work is mesmerizing. How much to get a chance to win this guy and NOT attend your carving event? I imagine you could sell several dozen chances at him to those of us unable to attend? C'mon, no body would mind. Give us a chance too!? I wish I could go to Benzart school.....I'm sorry that you think this might be the last one you do. Now that the Doc is back I WILL be back over to carve with you soon. We'll lean into one of those walnut chunks and see what we get.

Is that finish the rub-on type? Either I fell in a black hole for a week or you were able to get a buncha coats on him in short order. That process used to take you several days and lots of sanding. Do you have a new process now? He looks smooth and soft, like he was dipped in butter......

-G

B

Zaya, Thanks for the kind words, the Ancients are responsible for the coming alive part, all I do is carve the face and they have their way with it and do their magic when I'm not looking. They won't let me watch that part Darn it.

GMAN, HOW did you Figure out the BUTTER Trick?I was saving that for later while everyone is having popcorn with their TV shows! Now I guess I'll have to come clean.
Actually, since I didn't have much time I sprayed 5 coats of lacquer on him them buffed him out with bees wax on a flannel wheel. Sorry about no one else but Coon Tiki peeps getting a chance on the Coon Tiki Moai but thats the way it works sometimes. Maybe what I'll do with the next one is sell him lotto style. $25 bux a ticket and after I've sold 50 tickets I'll draw a name out of the hat, sounds fair right? For ME Anyway.
As for the next Seminar I may just have it here so I don't have to go anywhere or do anything, but then again I may be talked into Chicago or Orlando or Paris or maybe Greymouth or some place Fancy like that. Time will tell.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jul 21, 2007 2:48 PM

On 2007-07-21 12:09, Benzart wrote:

As for the next Seminar I may just have it here so I don't have to go anywhere or do anything, but then again I may be talked into Chicago or Orlando or Paris or maybe Greymouth or some place Fancy like that. Time will tell.

:lol: Paris, London, New York...Greymouth!?!

I'll start the planning from this end - I know we're good for at least 2 attendees! That's a 50% chance to win a Benzart!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-07-21 14:52 ]

B

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies