Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food / Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???

Post #363327 by The Gnomon on Mon, Feb 25, 2008 7:39 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2008-02-24 14:42, mangrovemike wrote:
After being frozen in fear of ruining more drinks like I did w/the much un-improved TV formula, I ordered the Aunt Lilikoi: very fruity, but also very sweet.

It's syrup. It's sweet.

And now I present to you from the anals of Gnomon history (if I had meant annals I would have said so)...

Gnomon's Family Secret from 1345 Revealed

This is a little known fact and one of the Gnomon’s family secrets that actually dates back much earlier than 1345 (which is a quarter to two yesterday afternoon EST military reckoning—I do way too much Gub’ment contracting for my own good).

Lots of us use passion fruit syrup in many of our drinks and dishes, or would like to if we could get ahold of any. I make my own on those rare occasions that I can find fresh passion fruit in this area and if I am willing to spring for $3 per fruit. So I prefer to rely on high-quality store-bought.

Aunty Lilikoi (aka Lori & Tony Cardenas) Passion Fruit Products, an award-winning passion fruit company on Kaua’i, is a mom-n-pop operation in Wimea that makes all sorts of great passion fruit stuff, not just syrup. As for the syrup, a 10½ oz bottle costs $5. The shipping and handling to the mainland, however, is $13. So if you order just one bottle, it comes to $22.

While that’s actually cheaper for me than homemade considering the price of the fresh fruits here; it’s not a very attractive proposition. The item is shipped via USPS Priority Mail in a flat rate box. You can get six 10½ oz bottles (label says 10 oz, but it's 10½) into one Priority Mail flat rate box. That's 6 x $5, or $30 for the syrup and with $13 S&H it comes to $43. That comes to a little more than $7 per 10½ oz bottle; which sure beats $22 per bottle for buying just one.

As it so happens—and here’s the secret—not in the catalog, but strictly by request, she will make up quarts of her syrup in Mason jars (labeled by hand in black marker on the lid). That’s the way I get mine (see photos). One quart is about the same as three 10½ oz bottles, but besides saving $3 there, you also get an indefinitely reusable quart Mason jar. For those who make lots of their own stuff, those jars come in handy.

Those go for $12 each and you can fit two in the $13 box ($8.95 postage, the rest handling). That’s $37, which comes to just over $6 per 10½ bottle equivalent.

Her shipping prices are posted on her website. She also ships internationally, but the shipping costs more, of course. Still it's probably worth it if you are aching for fantastic PF syrup and you order enough to fill a flat-rate Priority Mail box. Essentially, the flat rate box is $13 for US Zips, $25 for Mexico and Canada, and $40 everywhere else. The box holds 1 – 6 items or 2 quart jars.

It’s dangerous syrup. If you ever lick the bottle you’ll be tempted to shove a straw down into it and drink it dry. Resist the urge! It’ll keep you wired all night, albeit passionately.

Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup in quart Mason jars.

Re-used 10½ bottle filled from a quart jar.

Check it out.

She also has Passion Fruit and Passion Fruit Wasabe products (dressing, mustard, teriyaki). I might even try the Passion Fruit Habanero Jelly.

Ooops! Thanks UtopianDreem for letting me know I misspelled 'lilikoi' in the link. Fixed now.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2008-02-25 10:39 ]