Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Former Islander location on La Cienega for rent

Pages: 1 10 replies

N

I'm not sure if the Islander building was completely demolished or if it's just unreconizable under the many renovations to 385 N. La Cienega Blvd. in Los Angeles, but this Craigslist ad indicates it might be coming down. The Acapulco is no big loss, but I just wanted to put it out there.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/off/357058815.html

Thanks.

H

the only thing left are the old palm trees. Sad..

Are there any pictures of the Islander from that angle? It would be interesting to see before and after shots. Interesting and sad.

There is a book out there called "The Book of Tiki" (I think) and low and behold, on page 12 it shows a similar angle of the Islander building that reveals that at least the ramp up to the entrance seems to be the same. Even the parked car is somewhat in the same spot.

“The Book of Tiki” Hmm like the one on my shelf about 18 feet from where I’m sitting? The one that weighs about 3 Pounds? The one I’m too lazy to pick up an open? Is that the “The Book of Tiki” you are speaking of?

Before I knew that Acapulco’s address was where The Islander had been I thought that The Islander was further south on La Cienega and part of Restaurant Row.

Looking at the pictures side by side (I got up) I also thought the Islander was a huge multi-floored place. I didn’t know it was high so you could park underneath.

It’s nice to see that some of the Palm Trees are still there.

K

Aren't the stairs / ramp in front from the original Islander?? And what about that little garage / car port thing in the middle of the newer picture above? Looks like rickshaws or something parked in there in this postcard.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2007-06-23 12:21 ]

Whew! Now I can relax.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-06-23 12:58 ]

its a damn crying shame that the Islander was ever taken down.
I could care less about the building now,
get rid of it, its an eyesore if you ask me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I really should get out and do something.:lol:

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-06-23 14:54 ]

O

Yeah, get Benny to buy it. He will know what to do with it!

OMG! All the time I have had the Islander print in my dinning room, I never realized it was Acapulco.
Just as well, I would have hated being Acapulco if I had known.

Pages: 1 10 replies