Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / Nautical style in tiki bars

Post #304091 by bigbrotiki on Fri, May 4, 2007 3:19 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2007-04-29 11:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
I just remembered a GREAT purely nautical place I visited when in Atlanta...arrgh, can't find the postcard I took, OR remember the name...Swanky, any Southerners, help!

Yessssss, DANTE'S, that was it, thanks Swank! I was quite impressed, there is not an un-themed corner in that place. Go check it out when in the area folks, they just don't make'em like that anymore.

Now that we are on a nautical roll, I'd like to reminisce about THE SEA in San Pedro, a giant shop that was the nautical equivalent to Oceanic Arts.

From the 1930s on, San Pedro's shipwrecking yards used to be a rich source of vintage nautical material for the builders and decorators of L.A. Tiki temples.

In the mid-90s, the Sea owners took over some of the Tikis from Danny Balsz's defunct "The Tikis" amusement park...only to close shop themselves a couple of years later:

You can see these two guys in Situ (and intact) on page 112 of the BOT.

Just a couple of blocks up from "The Sea" was the "Samoan Sea" apartment complex (still there?):

It had the classic nautical features of pylons and anchor chain fencing:

The place has only two Tiki guardians. We already saw this guy here on TC, in a post about slit drums