Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / 1935 Ballyhoo Magazine South Seas Edition (image heavy)

Post #297854 by bigbrotiki on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 11:26 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2007-04-09 08:55, PockyTiki wrote:
On the first page with the image of the chart, at the bottom of that chart is says that "Devolution Begins". My question is, "What is Devolution?" is it like the time that poly-pop and tiki sort of went down the toilet? I'm slightly in the fog. :(

Well you had to ask....:) "being in the fog" could be a symptom of Devolution!
One could answer this question quickly, with the self-explanatory "Devolution is the opposite of Evolution". But you are giving me the opportunity to elaborate on another favorite pet theory, the pop history of Devolution (and my connection to it):

1969-- Philosopher Oscar Kiss Maerth publishes "The Beginning Was The End", his theory of the fact that human E-volution is actually a DE-volution: Once the prehistoric ape species started eating meat, especially each others brains, their own brains mutated into the human brain, and "intelligence" evolved. In the course of that, man lost all his natural abilities for telepathy and instinctual understanding, and man's brains today are actually sick mutations of a once natural state of consciousness in balance with nature, and thus are destined to destroy themselves (see global warming thread). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Kiss_Maerth

1971-- Mark Mothersbaugh writes "My Struggle"under the pseudonym of Booji Boy, an "art" book predating the Subgenius Church religious tract aesthetic:

When he and his friend Jerry Casale come upon Oscar Kiss Maerth's Devolution theory, the basic concepts of DEVO solidify:

1977-- David Bowie announces DEVO as the band of the future.....(the beginning of the end?)

1982--After a brief stint at the San Francisco Art Institute, Sven Kirsten moves down to Los Angeles, taking up his friend Annerose's boyfriend's (Mark Mothersbaugh) offer to stay at his house while looking for a place to live.

Oceanic tribes knew about the mana contained in their trophy heads. Perhaps we re-enact the eternal sin that began devolution by drinking from our Tiki mugs....dancing on the volcano. Tiki could actually be seen as a form of devolution: The desire to return to the beginnings of man, to the primitive state, and be free of the "Freedom of Choice" that puts us into a "fog". :)