Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies

Hey all, I had such a great time hosting the last chop, I REALLY want to do it again! I may only be in this house a few more months, and it's seems like such the perfect place for a chop, would I be considered rude to hog another time? Please speak up if you want to host, or if you think it should be a different place every time, but I'm willing to host it monthly as long as I'm living here.

Discuss. :)

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-02-01 16:28 ]

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-02-21 14:47 ]

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-02-28 19:28 ]

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-03-03 10:10 ]

I'm outside right now........LET ME IN!!!

your place is perfect....and since it's only around for a few more months...I vote yes!!!

(and this has nothing to do with the log I already picked out at your place;) )

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 7:50 PM

It sounds pretty great to me as well. If anyone else really wants to host next month, I think they should speak up soon, otherwise your place sounds great. I know I(my neighbors) don't mind waiting a few more months to host at my place again. :)

Pick a date that's good for you, we did have a vote for Sunday and a vote to keep it on Saturdays, but I think it should be up to whatever works best for the host.

Looking forward to it!

If you host a few more times some of the carved logs might go missing. :)

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 9:20 PM

Sounds great to me too!

M
Moki posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 9:34 PM

Sounds great to us too. We probably won't make February's but should be in for March.

B

I'll be out of town for a few weekends in Feb. :x I might not make it to the Chop-Chop!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2007 7:08 AM

Who would blackball your place, 4WD? I think Clysdale is gonna buy it anyway. Sunday is better for me, but yeah, that makes for Mean Monday Muscles. You pick a date, we'll be there.

T

I am so bummed out I couldn't make it down to the last one...I was on my way and the old Jeep gave up an alternator right about San Onofre, so I spent that day with AAA and a garage in San Clemente.
Major Props to 4WDTiki for wanting to host again. I would love to host a chop chop at my house, but it looks like this is labled "San Diego chop chop" and my house is in OC...Oh well I am still up to hosting sometime in the future when the chop chop moves north. Major drawback, I have no logs to share so it will be BYOW ... bring you own wood.

M

Bummer tikihai, I was wondering what happened to you. There have been a few offers to make it more of a SoCal chop chop, and we can definitely think about it when we get low on San Diego places to carve. At least Oceanside is a little easier for the OC and LA people to get to.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2007 1:40 PM

Yeah, OC would be a great common ground to get some of the MidCal people to have the Chop Chop Experience. Why not? I'm sure some wood can be scared up; maybe a March weekend? We can carpool up from San Diego, etc...

I Grok Log.

I almost titled this thread the Next SoCal Chop Chop, since there were people from LA and Palm Springs. Where exactly is Seal Beach? :oops:

T

Seal Beach is on the LA/OC borderline...south of Long Beach, north of Huntington Beach.

B

Still kicking myself for not being at the last Chop, and there is a good possibility that this wedding will keep me from coming to the one in February, but I would still like to host one sometime....I can take March, April or pretty much any month there after at my place. Have a good yard to chip in...no logs, however. Power outlets everywhere if needed. Neighbors are cool.

Babalu

On 2007-01-25 18:56, 4WDtiki wrote:
Hey all, I had such a great time hosting the last chop, I REALLY want to do it again! I may only be in this house a few more months, and it's seems like such the perfect place for a chop, would I be considered rude to hog another time?

It's not the slightest bit rude. It's incredibly gracious to open up your home to a bunch of sweaty, sawdust-covered folks.

I'm all for having it at your place again.

C

so are we kicking around a date for this yet??? my late month is a mess, just trying to see if I can make it or not...

It's February, and I'm ready...

Buzzy Out!

M
mieko posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 1:15 PM

4WDTiki? Pick a date if it still works to have it at your place. :)

and I've got a questions a few here might know, I've decided to burn the tiki I did at the Oki Oki, but right now it's got a lot of mold in the cracks. Do I need to clean out the mold before burning it, or will the torch take care of it?

T

On 2007-02-01 08:43, Clysdalle wrote:
so are we kicking around a date for this yet???

The 17th would be my first choice.

C

17th I think works for me also...

meiko.....JUST BURNNNNNNN IT!!!!!!! :wink: as long as you clean off any big spots...fire away....

if you have propane...give that a shot first...as it's a lower temp and you can target those areas first without turning you wood into a tiki-ka-bob

On 2007-02-01 13:15, mieko wrote:
4WDTiki? Pick a date if it still works to have it at your place. :)

and I've got a questions a few here might know, I've decided to burn the tiki I did at the Oki Oki, but right now it's got a lot of mold in the cracks. Do I need to clean out the mold before burning it, or will the torch take care of it?

Spray it with bleach and leave it in the direct sun for a couple of hours...
Torch will take care of it too, but if it was something that you were not going to burn, the bleach, sun, and a little sanding will take care of it

17th is good. We know our way around. If it's not ok with 4wd, lets just show up.

Oh yeah, we may need to borrow the stands from Ona & Moki before they leave, if that is alright with them.

Buzzy Out!

Too funny. I've been impatiently waiting for the first day of Feb to post again, and here you all are chomping at the bit too!

The 17th works for me too. :D

C

hahaha.......done....modify the title of the thread and we can go camp in the backyard till the 17th!!

M
mieko posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 3:37 PM

Sweet! 17th is going in my calendar!
If someone with a truck can check with Ona and Moki, that would be great, they mentioned that the might need to use them, but just didn't know who could pick them up. :)
Musubi are on the menu as always. :)

C

On 2007-02-01 15:37, mieko wrote:
Sweet! 17th is going in my calendar!
If someone with a truck can check with Ona and Moki, that would be great, they mentioned that the might need to use them, but just didn't know who could pick them up. :)
Musubi are on the menu as always. :)

I'll be honest, sweet musubis are a big reason I show up :wink: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On 2007-02-01 15:35, Clysdalle wrote:
hahaha.......done....modify the title of the thread and we can go camp in the backyard till the 17th!!

How can I change the thread title? Or does some Mod have to do it?

Camping's not a problem. :wink:

C

just go back to your post and click edit which is below you text....then when your post comes up in the edit window...change the title from "the next tiki chop chop" to "come watch dave eat 34523635 musubis".....or something like that

Sweet! I may be able to make this!

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 7:44 PM

Ah crud! Can't make it to this one. Be sure to post lots of pictures. I was going to challenge Clysdalle to a misubi eating contest too. :)

H

Sorry can't make it on Saturdays, maybe another time. Have fun everyone, wish I could be there. :(

On 2007-02-02 00:07, CheekyGirl wrote:
Sweet! I may be able to make this!

Could be a tiki road trip test run. Put the first tiki in the front seat, the new one in the back...
If you do not make it, there will be others... If I do not see you before the big road trip, good luck! And finish that tiki!

Hiltiki: :(
TikiDav: :(

We need some new meat....

Any newbies with no tools, logs, or carving experience should try to make it. Plenty of helpful people around. Just don't believe anything Cammo says about "hazing." we don't do that anymore. Now it's called the "Ohana Welcoming Ceremony."

Later this year, I'd like to host another one, with camping. Probably in the early summer...
Tents, tikis, campfires, and if the bay is low on heavy metals this year, fireworks!!!...A whole or partial weekend jam.

But first, we all need to wear out our welcome at 4WD's...

I'll try to contact Moki/Ono about the stands, since I have a truck and I live close to them.

Happy UFC Weekend,
Buzzy Out!

Damn! I'm gonna be on the big island that weekend... I wanted to make this one. Oh well, I'll be thinking of you from the Place of Refuge!

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2007-02-03 08:27 ]

On 2007-02-03 02:42, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Hiltiki: :(
TikiDav: :(

+Davez tikiz :(

To everyone who spoke up for the 17th: did we decide to soon? Should we consider the following weekend instead? Not too late to change it, IMO.

Discuss! :D

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 10:04 AM

For once, I have that whole Saturday off. The 17th is perfect for me. And I'm startin' a new tiki; a one-dayer, with the new Flexcut chissies.

Buzzy - you guys aren't good enough at it to call it "hazing".

And if you want newbies, maybe the term "fresh meat" should be avoided!

Hey, ANYBODY who wants to come should do so! If you've never carved anything or done any kind of art or even picked up the business end of a hammer, come! It's the funnest dang thing you'll ever do (well maybe not the funnest but you know) and everybody there will help ya out. We'll even draw the design on the log for you (if you want) and lend out some tools if you're real nice about it and have an upbeat but pathetic expression. Mr. NoNaMe hadn't ever carved much of anything before and now he's like this unstoppable Carving Cyborg that's the enemy of deadwood everywhere...

Haha! I just now showed my wife the pictures from last months Chop. She got inspired by seeing the girls chopping, and when I told her Kate was using the design off a mug, my wife practically screamed that SHE had a mug she wanted to make a tiki with! :D So she'll be joining us, wanting to borrow some chisels, AND she'll be making her famous wontons, PLUS she offered to twist up tea leaf leis for everyone coming! 8)

M
Moki posted on Sun, Feb 4, 2007 9:31 PM

DANG DANG DANG!!!
We're so bummed that we'll be missing this one, but at least we'll be somewhere we can drown our sorrows (literally). Hanalei Bay, here we come.

Tell Mrs. 4WD that I'll be in search of the Mokihana.

Aloha!!

Buzzy, the tiki I started will be my first "road trip" passenger. It will be strapped in and ready in the passenger seat. I just wonder if my tiki can qualify me to use the carpool lane.

On 2007-02-04 13:16, 4WDtiki wrote:
PLUS she offered to twist up tea leaf leis for everyone coming!

oops, I been corrected. It's Ti leaf leis. :roll:

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 9:04 PM

I second what Buzzy and Cammo said about newbies joining in. I am a fairly recent participant with this group, and I must say that they are quite a nice bunch (mostly :)) and are more than willing to haze-I mean bring in new people.

The Tiki Nation is calling........ YOU!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 7:35 AM

Hey, I just made two new CDs for the Chop;

"Wild Tiki Weekend" - which has some energetic Martin Denny, lots of Les Baxter's bongo tunes, Hapa Hawaiian, surf rock, one by the Blue Hawaiians, Don Tiki, some Basie,

and the infamous SNAKE DANCE.

and

"Lounge Party 2" - with Deano, Astrud, Anita O'Day, spy themes, Bossa Nova, Sinatra, Nelson Riddle, jeez, music to chop by and still look cool in a smoking jacket. It's like every 1961 bachelor music collection crammed onto one disk.

I'll bring an extra or two.

wooohooooo......new tunes!!!!

I third whatever the rest of these guys have said...if anybody wants to come out...we have plenty of wood and tools and fun...so come on out!!!

but sorry. No spam for you...that is all mine.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 6:39 AM

Hey All,

I'm bummed that I will have to miss two in a row here. I was looking at the weather and they (who is "they" anyway) says cloudy on Saturday and rain on Sunday, so the 17th would most likely be your best pick for this one. Clouds = better pictures so be sure to snap a few.

4wheel - hopefully we can still squeeze a third "Chop" off at your cosa sometime, I would love to come see your work.

Buz - having some camping chops during the summer sounds like great fun! That's a cool plan.

Babalu

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 10:42 AM

Just made another CD; "Lounge Party 3".

This one kicks off with Gene Krupa and Anita O'Day pounding out "Dummmin' Man", which has so far blown out three new speakers and seems to have actually skidded the laser across my CD, which I didn't think was possible.

It also has more of a 60's feel, with Cy Coleman's "Playboy Theme", more Les Baxter, Herb Alpert, Nicola Conte, and Vicki Carr ripping into the main theme from Dean Martin's Matt Helm movie, "The Silencers".

More music to chop by.

I'm thinking of doing one that's all spy music. Go for it?

On 2007-02-07 10:42, Cammo wrote:
Just made another CD; "Lounge Party 3".

This one kicks off with Gene Krupa and Anita O'Day pounding out "Dummmin' Man", which has so far blown out three new speakers and seems to have actually skidded the laser across my CD, which I didn't think was possible.

It also has more of a 60's feel, with Cy Coleman's "Playboy Theme", more Les Baxter, Herb Alpert, Nicola Conte, and Vicki Carr ripping into the main theme from Dean Martin's Matt Helm movie, "The Silencers".

More music to chop by.

I'm thinking of doing one that's all spy music. Go for it?

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

and something very traditional and primative also!!! come on dj, play that funky music really really white boy!!! :wink:

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 11:16 AM

What ya want for something 'traditional and primitive'??? I've got that Wild Tiki Weekend CD that should be both at the same time.

And the spy CD may mix outer-space themes with spys, like "Spys in Space". I think it'll work. Maybe.

Cammo, spies in space sounds like a winner! So do the other two you just made! I'm diggin' the Lounge Party one you gave me 8), but the Hippies one is not for me. :roll:

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 3:53 PM

Yeah, I did the "Damn Hippies" and "It's Those Damn Hippes Again" ones as a joke originally. They're fun to listen to for a while, then it starts getting creepy when you realize people LOVED THOSE SONGS for a long time. Now they sound cornier than Doris Day, who in turn seems pretty cool these days! (Doris did a whole album in one afternoon, no rehearsal, with Andre Previn on piano that see-mokes.)

Here's the attendance list so far:

Tiki-Kate
Clysdalle
Buzzy
Zaya
Mieko
Cheekygirl
Cammo
Tikihai
Ray
Colin
Lennie
Me

More people = more fun! Who else wants in???

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-02-11 21:10 ]

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-02-13 15:35 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies