Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hula Hula ~ Seattle: Jan 13, 007

Pages: 1 12 replies

On 2007-01-09 17:11, monkeyskull wrote:
Some of the local tikirati are planning to meet meet at Hula Hula at 6:00pm this Saturday. Hope to see all of you there!

this invite got lost in another thread ~ wanted to make sure others saw it too!

Hula Hula here we come ~ todd n i will be there!

106 First Ave N
Seattle,WA 98109
206 284-5003

AWESOME!!!

I have no other option but to be there! Unless I have other options. Come! Get a FREE! Glass banana suitable fer hangin' on an Xmas tree or coat tree or family tree, etc. Basically: Great fer hangin' on trees!

Now, on a serious note...I suggest, as it is cold and flu season, we all not engage in our usual custom of kissing each other in greeting. Save that fer the spring and summer months. Hand shakes will suffice fer now. Handshakes made with well sanitized hands, of course.

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2007-01-12 23:41 ]

Woofmutt,

Would you reconsider if I wiped my lips with a sani-wipe?

E

If I remove the splinters from kissing that wooden tiki will you reconsider?

Its Saturday morning, I had planned on going to one of my jobs on Queen Anne today so that I would already be in the neighborhood for this evenings get together. But... I cant get off of my street. I just tried to drive up the hill towards the Riviera's house and slid on the ice backwards for about 1/2a block. Anyone braver than me going that I can possibly ride with? Dawn

E

Yikes! Dawn!!! That sounds baaaaad! We have soft snowflakes dropping outside right now, so it's not getting better for me, it's getting worse.

Look how much better NEXT weekend is looking...

Graphic brought to you courtesy of MAC Widgets...

Okay, scientific tests have now demonstrated that I am unable to get my car up the tiny, tiny incline at the end of my street.

I wouldn't discourage anyone else from going today or any other time, of course, but I'd propose we postpone the big get together until the balmy climes of next weekend.

D

On 2007-01-13 15:30, monkeyskull wrote:
Okay, scientific tests have now demonstrated that I am unable to get my car up the tiny, tiny incline at the end of my street.

geeezelouise. that fancy convertible sportscar of yours can't make it up an itty bitty seattle hillside?

ok: here's the latest:
The Tiki Rivieras~ have no internet at home, but are out shopping and stuff, and plan to go to Hula Hula.
Woofmutt ~ and Sparky & Allison will be at Hula Hula, but he'll leave his glass bananas at home
dogbytes and Mr. bytes ~ will go (unless we somehow get snowbound in our own neighborhood)
puamana ~ is still deciding
sophista-tiki ~ even with a bigass truck with 4 WD, cant get out of west seattle.
exoticat ~ trapped on Fantasy Island, thick ice prevents her from going down her own driveway.

thats all the updates.
see ya there, or not.

Hey I could get out of West Seattle with my bigass truck if I could only get off of my street! The Rivieras were kind enough to offer me a ride, but I already switched gears and am writing a collections policy for the museum, but I made Pirate chicken for dinner, mmmmmm has rum! Dawn Have fun, am still really torn about not going.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2007-01-13 18:13 ]

On 2007-01-13 16:30, dogbytes wrote:
geeezelouise. that fancy convertible sportscar of yours can't make it up an itty bitty seattle hillside?

For the love of Pete, don't go blabbing that all around town! As a native of Idaho, I was obliged to mock all my coworkers who couldn't make it into the office the last couple days of last week (I was taking the bus at the time). And I'm not even talking about a hill, I'm talking about the turn from my street onto highway 99 that you probably didn't even notice was an incline. At least I watched with quiet satisfaction as various other SUVs and trucks that presumably should be better at that sort of thing suffered similar fates.

Did anyone take any pictures of HulaHula? Did everyone like the classic tiki hanging vacuum cleaner? Was the local guy who pounds Bud Lights on the way home from his AA meetings there?

Mr & Mrs Riviera, Sparky & Allison, Woofmutt, John & Cindy (Hawaiiana House), Mr Bytes and i braved the elements and made it to HulaHula! of course, no one had a camera ~ and there was some neat things to photograph! big float lamps, pufferfish lamps, a really cool bartop with graphics embedded in epoxy, matting and bamboo everwhere and a really giant black velvet painting with blacklights.

i cant vouch for the drinks, but todd wasnt thrilled with any of the drinks he ordered. woofmutt stuck with beer.

the food was pretty good, but might be a problem for vegetarians and those who dont like spicy things. my gripe was the rice on the spam masubi was hard and not flavored like sushi rice. the coconut shrimp and the bacon-wrapped shrimp were fantastic.

what i like best, is that it feels lounge-y in there. easy to pull tables together and chat with friends.

the music wasnt enjoyed by all, though i loved it.. they had a mix of R&B, Soul, Funk and Motown going, i'm guessing cuz the bartender Randy liked that kinda music.

the place was dead.. there was one other couple at the bar ~ when we left at 9, there was only the bartender's pals watching a game.

when monkeyskull gets his zamboni, we should try for another visit to Hula Hula.

On 2007-01-15 10:55, dogbytes wrote:
i cant vouch for the drinks, but todd wasnt thrilled with any of the drinks he ordered. woofmutt stuck with beer.

what i like best, is that it feels lounge-y in there. easy to pull tables together and chat with friends.

the music wasnt enjoyed by all, though i loved it.. they had a mix of R&B, Soul, Funk and Motown going, i'm guessing cuz the bartender Randy liked that kinda music.

the place was dead.. there was one other couple at the bar ~ when we left at 9, there was only the bartender's pals watching a game.

I've been informed that Hula Hula's tropical drinks will soon be updated (or should I say, backdated) to follow the original recipes. Trial and error. Quite frankly I believe it may have more to do with the prideful but prosaic bartending methods. And when it comes to tropical drinks, this would be the only time when I would back the Canadian measured shot: tropical drinks have to be measured just right or they won't be right.

Yes, I'm not sure what's going on with the music; and it is surprising that you should've heard that format of music during the early evening -- a time when some Rat Pack, Surf, Lounge and Exotica would've been more fitting. 'Course, Hula Hula doesn't yet have a Happy Hour. In any case, when I was there for the second time (and there were actually a lot of people there that night) the music was all over the place -- something for everyone, and very enjoyable and varied. When I was there last it was what I refer to as 'Frat Boy Funk': Funk, R&B, and even a little Hip Hop from the 1970s-today. The music is from a compiled iTunes library, and perhaps this was a programme the bartender liked best. I suppose when there are only a handful of people there, if that, the music becomes bartender's choice (and that's understandable, but a pity for the paying customers, who come in for something different. After all, the place is decorated in tiki kitsch). 'Course, Portland's Alibi certainly doesn't play great music, either, unless it's a special event; and dare I say MOST tiki bars in general (even those in California) do not play Lounge, Surf, Jazz, and Exotica on a daily basis, at all hours. There simply isn't enough of the musically savvy and tasteful to support and dominate such establishments.

Still, Hula Hula is in its infancy, having only been open for just over 1 month now. It's still trying to establish itself and its clientele and its image. Things are developing and in the works. And look for a little Lushy action in early February (most likely the 7th, which is a Wednesday). Most importantly, for all you Seattle-ites even remotely interested in tiki and Lounge, put your money where your mouth is: get in there, buy a drink or some pu pus, voice your opinion to the bartenders and the owner; suggest events, ideas, etc.

Okole Maluna!

On 2007-01-15 02:13, monkeyskull wrote:

On 2007-01-13 16:30, dogbytes wrote:

For the love of Pete, don't go blabbing that all around town! As a native of Idaho, I was obliged to mock all my coworkers who couldn't make it into the office the last couple days of last week (I was taking the bus at the time). And I'm not even talking about a hill, I'm talking about the turn from my street onto highway 99 that you probably didn't even notice was an incline. At least I watched with quiet satisfaction as various other SUVs and trucks that presumably should be better at that sort of thing suffered similar fates.

Did anyone take any pictures of HulaHula? Did everyone like the classic tiki hanging vacuum cleaner? Was the local guy who pounds Bud Lights on the way home from his AA meetings there?

Monkeyskull is from Idaho? I was born in Idaho, maybe that explains why both of
us are so normal...

Pages: 1 12 replies