Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies

As we approach the official 50th Anniversary date of the Mai Kai - Dec. 28, 1956 - I thought it would be appropriate to share some of the ads, pictures and collectibles that I've had the fortune to scan and archive for the Mai Kai Family. I will also be sharing some of the images from a wonderful new friend of mine, Ron Licudine - the only surviving son of Mariano Licudine, the original mixologist of the Mai Kai. Some of you might have had the opportunity to meet Ron at the 2nd Beachbum Mixology Seminar at Hukilau 2006.

For those of you that are not familiar with Mariano, he was recruited by
Bob and Jack Thornton from Don the Beachcomber in Chicago (where he was 2nd in command) to hold the position of Chief Mixologist upon the opening of the Mai Kai. He was also the inventor of the Derby Daiquiri – a cocktail served at the Mai Kai dedicated and inspired by the Gulfstream Race Track in Hallandale, Florida.

Below is one of the print ads leading up to the opening of the Mai Kai. It’s one of my favorites. Look for a different variation that will appear in Jeff “Beachbum” Berry’s new book coming in June of 2007. Also pictured is Bob Thornton holding a Derby Daiquiri in the old Surfboard Bar at the Mai Kai – one of my favorite pictures from the archives.

I will be sharing a picture from the Mai Kai or a keepsake from Ron’s scrapbook every day up until the anniversary date. Please try to join us for a very special Anniversary Dinner on the 28th at the Mai Kai – just check out my post in Other Events!

Welcome Ron as well – he’s supposed to join and chime in to this post!

Enjoy..

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-01 09:19 ]

G

This is going to be terrific thread! Thanks so much for making these images available Christie. Wish we could be there on the 28th, but we will be away for the holidays. :(

EDIT: Do you have the dates for the photos you're going to post? If so, please post the dates too. Thanks!

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2006-12-01 09:33 ]

M

Great stuff- Bob looks like a secret agent. Thanks for this thread.

S

I have this ad from 1956:

And have seen it in another publication from 1957.

GatorRob - I'm planning to publish a photo or something from the Licudine vault every day until the 28th.

There is so much material that I wasn't able to show at Hukilau due to the space restraints at the Clipper. I just want to share as much as I possibly can because there is SO MUCH that I want everyone to see.

I haven't posted a thread in some time not related to Hukilau and this has really inspired me to dig deeper.

The 3 cannibal tikis in the ad that used to sit atop the Mai Kai sign are actually still in existence and they're close to the Mai Kai at their warehouse - I saw them the week of Hukilau. I'll post a pic of them later...I wanted to badly to have the time to haul them to the Clipper but it was impossible. At least we have something to look forward to next year!

Swanky,

There were several variations of the ads in many publications prior to and after the grand opening. Lot's of color palettes as well. I have so many others that I'll be incorporating into my posts.

What publication did your ad come from?

Ron - where did this one come from?

S

On 2006-12-01 11:07, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Swanky,

There were several variations of the ads in many publications prior to and after the grand opening. Lot's of color palettes as well. I have so many others that I'll be incorporating into my posts.

What publication did your ad come from?

Ron - where did this one come from?

It came from the 1956-1957 Fort Lauderdale guest Guide.

G

On 2006-12-01 11:04, tiki_kiliki wrote:
GatorRob - I'm planning to publish a photo or something from the Licudine vault every day until the 28th.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant, do you know the date each photo was taken? And if so, could you put that date as a caption to each photo when you post it? I'm a real "every photo needs to be tagged with its date" geek. :)

GatorRob - that's why I want Ron to chime in on the ad. But as far as the dates, the photos that I was allowed to scan were not dated and the family only had guesses. A few of them I'll be able to give you dates and additional information but documenting dates, we will be out of luck for the most part. Sit back and enjoy the images though, they're well worth the trip.....

P
PremEx posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 1:50 PM

Wow. Can't wait to see more. :)

I was really hoping to be able to join some of you at the Mai Kai 50th...as I thought that would make a great "First Tiki Central" event for me. But it just doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. :(

But...I'll get there sometime!

M

WOW!

I hope the current calenders look like this!

YEOWZA!!! :o

P

On 2006-12-01 21:56, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:
WOW!

I hope the current calenders look like this!

YEOWZA!!! :o

Yeah! I think Kainoa (May) is my favorite...but that Pamela (Dec)...oh, man...she looks like she could hurt me!

:)

WOW!! Beautiful Tiki Eye Candy!!!

Great idea Tiki Kiliki!!! :)

I sure wish I could attend the party on the 28th but its a long haul from Ohio!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 7:45 AM

I was told they opened on December 26th though. Was there maybe a soft opening and then a grand opeing on the 28th?

[ Edited by: swanky 2006-12-02 07:55 ]

MakeDaMug - thanks for the calendar pictures! ChipandAndy have that year and always display each appropriate month. That's Mireille Thorton in the month of July!

Swanky - I'm sure they had a soft opening but I can ask Dave and see if that's correct - it only makes sense though...

Ok, here's today's pictures..

The first is from the Licudine scrapbook. It's an old polaroid photo that I've had to put some work into just to get better resolution from it. The photograph was literally so faded that you could barely see it. The Mai Kai has a few remaining construction photos but not this angle. I had to include this one - it's just the shell of the A-frame structure. As far as a date I can only make out the year, of course, 1956.

The other, from the Mai Kai archives, is a beautiful wahine standing in front of the amazing carved poles that held the Mai Kai sign above. No date for this one but I'm guessing early 60's - you can almost date a photo by the style of a woman's hair. She is wearing a G rated skirt compared to the Molokai girls of today. No doubt, this might have been used for one of the calendars on intended for that purpose.

Enjoy...

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-02 09:47 ]

O

Thanks Tiki Kiiki,

Great pictures, looking forward to your future postings.

Ojaitimo

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-05 14:40 ]

Today's picture is from the Mai Kai archives. This is the original gift shop circa 1962. We now know it as the Bora Bora Room just across from the main entrance of the Mai Kai. I'll be posting more of these as the merchandise they sold back in the day is right up our alley.

For those of you that have had the chance to venture in Bora Bora this picture will be very familiar to you.

Enjoy..

I

Hey guys I just got my 2006 Mai Kai 50th annivesary calendar in the mail..It's memorable, get yours today.

Sorry this is so late. We just returned from the Mai Kai 50th Celebration Dinner that the family had for media and clients.

The latest installment is a picture of the surfboard bar which is now gone. You can see the Leeteg in the background that is now on the wall leading back to the gardens - this one is very large. You can also see the lovely tiki lanterns on the bar - this particular style is now featured in the Hawaii Room.

Enjoy...

T

Where was the surfboard bar located, and when was it removed?

Someone else will have to fill in the dates and specific names....

The Molokai Bar (current) is decorated to resemble the inside of a cargo ship that is transporting you to a far-away exotic location.

The Molkai Bar before that was decorated as the Pineapple Bar. Many of you have seen this verison in postcards, the bar stools looked like you were sitting on top of a large pineapple.

The Molokai Bar before that was the Surfboard Bar. The bar top was shaped like a wooden surfboard and was sized for the Jolly Green Giant.

All three versions of the Molokai bar were in the same place just inside of the entrace to the building. The Molokai Girls have worn just about the same outfits since the beginning and the drink menu hasn't changed too much since the beginning either.

Not 100% certain on my information, but maybe this will jog the memory of those with better details....

Jab,

I'm so sorry that I haven't had time to answer your question yet but here's some pretty detailed information. Dates still unknown but I'm working on that.

Here's a picture from a newspaper article of the surfboard bar. You'll see another Leeteg and the pineapple chairs which were used in this particular bar. The surfboard bar was located where the Tonga Room is today - the dining area that is raised to the right as you enter to be seated for dinner. The actual date of removal is unknown but I'm trying to verify with the family, I spoke with Pia earlier but she was unsure. (From the Licudine scrapbook)

And here's another pic of the surfboard bar. Pictured are Mariano (4th from the right)and other staff members. Behind them there was an animated scenery complete with Tikis, huts and dancers - at nightfall stars would appear and the entire wall would be lit as if in the moonlight. Next time you're at the Mai Kai take a long look in Tonga and you can see remnants of the surfboard bar.(From the Licudine scrapbook)

And here's another shot of the garden area just in front of the stage - these are diners from the Gulfstream Derby - you can see the patrons in the surfboard bar just behind them - be sure to take a look at the table and see how much has remained the same - you can also spot the cannibal coasters and Derby Daiquiris about! (from the Mai Kai archives):

The Molokai was added later. I've been told in 1962 but that was not from the family. Here's an ad from the opening! (From the Licudine scrapbook)

And a close up of the text!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-05 16:11 ]

That's great! Love that gong graphic and text!

P

I admit it. I love places with real history and tradition behind them.

Please...keep 'em coming. This is great stuff! :)

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 6:20 AM

It's all fuzzy with the dates. Bob and Jack had very different ideas of how the Mai Kai should be expanded. When Jack had a stroke and asked Bob to buy him out, it obviously became Bob's vision that became the Mai Kai of today. The renovations that created the Molokai and moved the gift shop and expanded the whole place took place then and I think it was in the mid-60s. Although it could have been later.

I think both visions were drawn up by the architect George Nakashima. He said Jack's plan was very elaborate and Bob's was more down to earth.

One of the guys I work with here in TN's father worked on that renovation.

There were additions in the mid 60's to include the Molokai. The major expansion actually came about in 1971 and both Bob and Jack worked on that project. Almost an entire issue of Happy Talk is dedicated to the mini expansion in the 60's. The '71 expansion included Tahiti, Samoa and the gardens. By this time the property around them was changing so the vast grounds surrounding the Mai Kai had to give way to the US1 expansion and modern development.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-06 07:18 ]

T

Mahalo for this fascinating post tiki_kiliki! I enjoyed the photos displayed at the Hukilau but was wishing I could have another look at them, and you fulfilled my wishes!

G

On 2006-12-06 06:20, Swanky wrote:
Bob and Jack had very different ideas of how the Mai Kai should be expanded. When Jack had a stroke and asked Bob to buy him out, it obviously became Bob's vision that became the Mai Kai of today. The renovations that created the Molokai and moved the gift shop and expanded the whole place took place then and I think it was in the mid-60s. Although it could have been later.

I think both visions were drawn up by the architect George Nakashima. He said Jack's plan was very elaborate and Bob's was more down to earth.

It's fun to think of what the Mai-Kai might look like today had Jack not had a stroke. Any idea if the original architectural drawings still exist?

Well GatorRob, yes, the original architectural drawings do exist. Swanky and I were going to show them in 2004 during Hukilau but between Hurricane Jeane and the death that year of George Nakashima (his asssistant brought them to Hukilau but left as soon as there was an announcement of an evacuation), we didn't revisit that again until now.

When I toured the Mai Kai warehouse back in October they literally had over 100 drawings and sets of plans from the very beginning to the addition of Bora Bora, renovations after the surfboard bar was dismantled - everything. I remember it was so overly hot as the warehouse is not air conditioned and I couldn't possibly look at them all. Maybe since the weather is cooler now we could quite possibly take a look at them again.

Jab - glad you're enjoying the images!!

Today's photo is one of my favs as this gal is a REDHEAD and she's sporting some serious eyeliner. Another one of the lovely Molokai girls in an all so wonderful pose.

Enjoy..

:o

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

T

On 2006-12-06 06:39, tiki_kiliki wrote:
There were additions in the mid 60's to include the Molokai. The major expansion actually came about in 1971 and both Bob and Jack worked on that project.

I've been told that Molokai opened in 1970, so perhaps it was actually part of this 1971 expansion.

On 2006-12-06 13:06, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Today's photo is one of my favs as this gal is a REDHEAD and she's sporting some serious eyeliner. Another one of the lovely Molokai girls in an all so wonderful pose.
DAMN!
She makes MY eyeliner look like child's play!!

FAB-ulous post, TK! Enjoying it daily :)

The Molokai was most definitely added in the 1960's - and early at that. As you'll see in this pic from a Fort Lauderdale paper (unknown) and even the previous ads that I've posted - the graphics usually date the period. This is also one of my favs - look at the no doubt Shaheen on the Ethel Merman wannabe - also the first woman in the Molokai - and honoring her with a lei is Kay Picot, the wife of then manager Leonce Picot, which dates the photograph to the early 60's just before Kern Mattei, Sr. took his place. (photo from the Licudine scrapbook)

Look at the waist on Kay! And I am so proud that I have that same dress - purchased at a flea market on my visit to San Francisco in 2004.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-06 15:48 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-07 05:07 ]

1958 Mai Kai Serving Staff

[ Edited by: kohalacharms 2013-03-24 07:33 ]

Thanks for the additional photo - fantastic!! I'll try to post a different variation of that tomorrow. Great to see you posting Frank!!

P
PremEx posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 9:14 PM

...and she's sporting some serious eyeliner.

Eyeliner? I don't see any...oh...I guess there is some there. Somehow I wasn't looking in that direction. :wink:

G

On 2006-12-06 12:58, tiki_kiliki wrote:
When I toured the Mai Kai warehouse back in October they literally had over 100 drawings and sets of plans from the very beginning to the addition of Bora Bora, renovations after the surfboard bar was dismantled - everything.

Now that is something I would love to see!

I absolutely fell in love with the Mai Kai at Hukilau and this thread just moves me to tears.

It's like finding your favorite far-away aunt's love letters. Usually it's after that aunt has passed, but this one still living. I need to make plans to fly out and visit with her in person...

Thank you so much, Tiki_Kiliki!!

On 2006-12-07 06:40, GatorRob wrote:

On 2006-12-06 12:58, tiki_kiliki wrote:
When I toured the Mai Kai warehouse back in October they literally had over 100 drawings and sets of plans from the very beginning to the addition of Bora Bora, renovations after the surfboard bar was dismantled - everything.

Now that is something I would love to see!

I agree! Conceptual work and architectural drawings can be really fascinating and they are exceptionally rare to find. Would love to see them.

Haole'akamai - my pleasure. The first time I saw the albums I was in Dave Levy's office (which is Bob Thornton's old office so being in there already moves me) and I began crying. It was so overwhelming. It was the same feeling that I had my first visit to the Mai Kai.

I honestly want you to see EVERYTHING!! I'm working on another exhibit for next year. There's still so much that should be shown.

Here's today's photo (from the Licudine scans). I love the questions so keep them coming.

This pic is of the very first Mai Kai sign. This picture takes my breath away as it's truly from the beginning - you can see the 3 fern Tiki Gods below and one in the distance. You can even make out the small road to the left which is US1. Isn't it nice not to see that horribly ugly City Furniture building in the background. It sits alone. You can also see the original screened in roof line and make out how small the first structure really was!

Enjoy...

G

The original A-frame roof was screened? I always thought it was glass.

W

Now, if only WAITIKI we're to get to play. Do you think anyone would like to see us posing in the calendar? :wink:

I have not felt like this in a while, but this thread really makes me want to have a time machine to travel back to the early days of this wonderful Polynesia Americana...but then, that's what the Mai Kai is, in a way, a time machine...

Hanford, how long until TC gets its Time Travel feature that allows you to actually VISIT the places?

Mai Kai Serving Staff - Date Unknown

[ Edited by: kohalacharms 2013-03-24 07:34 ]

Frank, can you post a blow up of the shirts from this one, it looks real sharp in focus. I can't make out what's on them, they look great! Looks like the Cook Islands Tiki, and the Mai Kai logo...

Sven,

There are so many shirt designs with beachcomber lamps printed on them (B. Marsland has one of those) as well as the cannibal tikis and Mai Kai logo. The beachcomber lamp shirt were sold in blue and green.

Here's a few blown up pics of what I have here at work:

Here's a super close up:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies