Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hula Hula Grand Opening Seattle, WA

Pages: 1 9 replies

Grand Opening Party on Thursday, December 7th (though I received one, I don't know if one is required an invitation or not for this night). Otherwise, Hula Hula will be open the following day and onward from 4pm - 2am, 7 days a week. It's right next to (and affiliated with) Tini Bigs in the old Romper Room location.

http://hulahula.org/

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-11-30 13:05 ]

well, two whole weeks have gone by ~ any of my Rain City pals checked this place out yet?

Just off the busy intersection of 1st & Denny, between Seattle’s Belltown and Uptown, lies a semi-cavernous haven of Polynesian kitsch aesthetic. This is no Trader Vic’s; nor is it Tiki Bob’s. This is Hula Hula – Seattle’s newest establishment of Tiki atmosphere, tropical libations, and delicious pupus. But it should be said from the start that Hula Hula does not pretend to be what it isn’t, claiming no testimony for Polynesian or Tiki bar authenticity. It is what it is, and is unique in its own way. And most importantly, it’s a fun place to spend an evening.

Hula Hula is run by the propriety of, and connected to, Tini Bigs, in the space that was once Watertown and The Romper Room. From the outside the inside will look dark and deserted. But the simple and colourful Tiki art covering all windows but one, and a flashing neon displaying ‘Hula Hula’, will make it difficult to not notice the place. Once inside (and you’ll want to watch your step! as with all Tiki bars the light within will be very minimal) your senses will immediately go into overdrive, trying to process all that you see. And as with some Tiki bars, Hula Hula is not a clutter of Polynesian-styled paraphernalia; but there is certainly a lot to behold and admire.

To the right of the inside entrance will be a large space called ‘The Pool’, furnished with deck lounge chairs and, lining the main circumference of the room, Polynesian-patterned upholstered benches and wooden tables. And though the floor is painted ocean blue, it looks like what the ocean looks like at night: black. The ceiling is bamboo hut-fashioned (as is the ceiling throughout majority of the place), and nets and glass fishing floats hang overhead. Overlooking ‘The Pool’ is a wonderfully enchanting 6’ by 22’ long, original black velvet Polynesian-inspired painting, featuring various Tikis.

To the left (and a couple steps up) is the bar: a rectangular bar with stools adorned with painted hibiscus. Overhead hang lighted blowfish. And under the bar’s glass surface, a colourful array of manipulated Polynesian and Tiki art, confiscated and inspired from old menus, matchbox covers, etc. The chartreuse and aqua coloured walls are adorned with the usual Tiki/Polynesian regalia – masks, plaques, bamboo, large wooden pineapple-shaped bowls, etc. Seating ranges from barstools to booths to small tables and chairs. In the centre of the bar is a column of shelves displaying luscious liquors and liqueurs. On either side of the column, at the top, is a wide screen TV, displaying contemporary video compilations of surfers on high surf, tropical fish, and waves. The bartenders (and yes, some are actually of Polynesian origin) are young and dressed down, but are prompt, attentive, and friendly.

As far as some basic libations, Hula Hula features daily and all day, $4 Well Drinks and $2 PBR in a 14oz. glass. As is standard, the tropical drinks range in price and can be quite expensive, from a $6 Blue Hawaiian or Shark’s Tooth, an $8 Mai Tai or Scorpion Bowl to an $11 Kiki Tiki and a $22 Volcano Bowl. Not all the tropical drinks on the menu follow the original recipe; and some that don’t are actually much better than the original recipe (and vice versa). And there are a few original tropical drinks here well worth trying.

The tropical drinks are served in a variety of drinking vessels, ranging from Hurricane glasses, Tiki mugs, Hula Girl mugs, coconut mugs, Scorpion Bowls, and Volcano Bowls – some of which may also be purchased. Without asking the bartender it is difficult to predict which drinking vessel will be assigned to which drink: Chi Chis, Navy Grog, Pina Coladas, Grasshoppers, and the Daiquiri Of The Week are served in coconut mugs; Singapore Slings, Beachcombers, and Planter’s Punch are served in Hula Girl mugs; Beachcomber’s Punch in Tiki mugs; Mai Tais, Blue Hawaiians, Hurricanes, and Zombies are served in a Hurricane glass; and so on and so forth. The drinks themselves can be – as with a lot of tropical drinks – overly sweet. However, the bartenders are receptive and willing to accommodate your individual taste (within reason, of course). The Navy Grogs, Hurricanes, Scorpions, and Pina Coladas are delicious, and well recommended. Since Hula Hula’s grand opening, its Mai Tais have been updated (inspired by some outside recommendation of ingredients), but still haven’t come fully into favoured fruition (at least, by me).

A menu of hot drinks is also featured, such as Keoki Coffee, Hot Nutz, and Café Diable. And for beer drinkers desiring a pitcher, a touch of class will be implemented in the employment of a beer tower: a clear, lighted vessel, familiar in appearance to an over-sized blender, containing a spout and an inner column of ice, to the keep the 80oz. of liquefied fermented grain and hops chilled.

As far as food, Hula Hula is first and foremost a bar and lounge. However, featured are 12 selections of delicious Pupus for one to choose from – all complementary accompaniment to any of the tropical libations served. All Pupus are $8 each, and range from Hearts of Palm Salad, Hula Steak Roll, and Coconut Macadamia Chicken Wings to Tropical Prawns, Plantain Chips, and Hawaiian Hot Dogs.

With the exception of special occasions, live and DJed music is currently not featured at Hula Hula (though there are some discussions to feature a little Lushy action in February). But the music in the background/foreground is a tasteful, eclectic, and entertaining mix of pop hits from the 1950s-today, intermingled with Lounge, Exotica, Caribbean, and Surf. At first listen this musical format will sound odd: Martin Denny followed by James Brown, Sinatra by Steppenwolf, Patsy Cline by Tito Puente, and Alfred Apaka by New Order. But the formula entertains and appeals generally, rather than specifically, and this is a wise choice when starting a new business. Quite frankly, I love the variety.

The patrons at Hula Hula are equally eclectic, ranging from folks in their late 20s to folks in their early 40s: the crowd comfortable, social-able, relaxed, and not too rowdy; their attire casually smart, if not informal. Most folks seem to come in by referral or out of sheer curiosity. But as Hula Hula has only been open since December 7th, 2006, it is only realistic that the patronage is still transitory and not yet established. The place is an excellent destination for a date, a large group, or even the solitary imbiber. Hula Hula is an easy place to unwind, forget, and get lost (financially and otherwise).

In all, whilst sipping a tropical libation, listening to a great mix of music, nibbling at a plate of Pupus, and absorbing all of the mood lighting and eye-candy, one can only get an optimistic feeling about the potential of the place.

T

Sounds like a 'scene' I want to check out .... do you know if the bus stops there?

Let me know if they get any signature mugs. I spent some time in the Romper Room so I know the space.
Good to know they seem to have a decent joint.

..sbim

On 2007-01-07 06:34, TikiLaLe wrote:
Sounds like a 'scene' I want to check out .... do you know if the bus stops there?

Not from Largo, Fl. it doesn't:) In Seattle, however, there are quite a few Metro buses that stop near this intersection, including a couple directly outside Hula Hula's entrance. It's a very convenient location to get to and fro - be it car, cab, bus, or even on foot.

K

On 2007-01-07 17:07, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

On 2007-01-07 06:34, TikiLaLe wrote:

Not from Largo, Fl. it doesn't:) In Seattle, however, there are quite a few Metro buses that stop near this intersection, including a couple directly outside Hula Hula's entrance. It's a very convenient location to get to and fro - be it car, cab, bus, or even on foot.

:lol:

On 2007-01-07 08:48, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Let me know if they get any signature mugs.

They plan to, yes. But I've been told they won't be available for another 2 to 3 months.

S

ahh, Romper Room, the memories!!!
Guess maybe one of these nights we'll have to
meet up for happy hour.

Some of the local tikirati are planning to meet meet at Hula Hula at 6:00pm this Saturday. Hope to see all of you there!

Pages: 1 9 replies