Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

I just bought the Jasmine Tree

Pages: 1 20 replies

R

Tai had called me last week about buying some goods, a tiki god here, a spear there.

Last Sat., I went there and tried to walk around there with her, pointing out what I wanted and asking "How much for that"

The experience exhasted her. She invited me back for lunch today. She has to be out of there by Oct 31.

Exasperated, she said...I wish someone would just buy the whole thing.

One plate of sweet and sour chicken later, we agreed upon a price.

I get everything outside the kitchen, minus one lamp since it has personal meaning to her.

Most will be used in Thatch, my new bar.

Excess will be sold off to NW tiki people and TCers before shown to general public.

I'm glad that this stuff, which used to be in Steve Crane's Kon Tiki will once again be enjoyed by the masses.
Robert

H

Robert, that's wonderful news! Such a relief to know that the historic items at the Jasmine Tree can find some great new homes where they'll be treasured.

U

Congrats on your acquisition, Robert ! I live in Portland too, and have some Tiki history, having grown up in the late 50's & early 60's while my dad owned/managed the Polynesian Restaurant in So.Cal. Fond memories, indeed....
Please let me know what you intend to sell, as I'd like to take a look !
Take care,
Tony

On 2006-09-05 18:27, Robertiki wrote:
Tai had called me last week about buying some goods, a tiki god here, a spear there.

Last Sat., I went there and tried to walk around there with her, pointing out what I wanted and asking "How much for that"

The experience exhasted her. She invited me back for lunch today. She has to be out of there by Oct 31.

Exasperated, she said...I wish someone would just buy the whole thing.

One plate of sweet and sour chicken later, we agreed upon a price.

I get everything outside the kitchen, minus one lamp since it has personal meaning to her.

Most will be used in Thatch, my new bar.

Excess will be sold off to NW tiki people and TCers before shown to general public.

I'm glad that this stuff, which used to be in Steve Crane's Kon Tiki will once again be enjoyed by the masses.
Robert

D

hokey smokes, Robertiki! indeed good news ~ Thatch will be jammed packed with tiki.. when's opening date?

congrats robert! great move. i hope i can score something when you're ready to part with the excess. cheers, bullet

RB

Great news, indeed!

I

My reaction on this news is somewhat bittersweet. I do congratulate you on your plans to adopt much of the decor of the Jasmine Tree into your new tiki bar (Thatch) and I hope that I will be able to visit some day.

But I am also saddened, as I was hopeful that the Jasmine Tree might survive. I have only been to Portland twice in my life, both within the past year, and both times I paid visits to The Jasmine Tree, spending almost all of my time at the back bar. Although others may not have cared for the place, there was something about it that I really enjoyed - a combination of the old decor, the aged but wiser bartenders, and the camaraderie of the regulars who paid their visits to that back bar. Those things far outweighed the negatives - the TVs, and the nearby video poker machines.

I guess I have visited my share of treasured tiki bars, only to have them close shortly after, or to be watered down to a paler imitation of their former grand stature. It is a bit like what my parents say about their life as they get older - their best and closest friends become ill and then die one by one, and they sense that more and more of the world they know and understand and enjoy is disappearing.

I do applaud the news that much of the decor will be available for view in a new setting - a form of South Seas Poly-Pop reincarnation, I guess -- Kon Tiki leads to Jasmine Tree which leads to what I hope is a long life at Thatch.

I wonder how many people will be able to visit Thatch, and wonder to themselves ...'hmmmm, that reminds me of that old Kon Tiki bar from many years ago.' I am sure that my two visits to the Jasmine Tree are only small tiki drops in the bucket to what others on the West Coast have experienced, but I do consider myself fortunate that I was able to personally enjoy the charms of the Jasmine Tree in its natural, unrushed setting.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2006-09-05 20:28 ]

Way to go Robert. Sounds like a win win situation to me.

PK

excellent.

R

Vern, I agree with you that it is a sad passing. I never wanted the Jasmine Tree to close. In fact, I looked around for a new location for them.

The city took the building for light rail expansion and gave them two choices, One, a buy out, thats it, close and good-bye. Two, use tax payers $$ to find a new place. They have been looking for a suitable place for 6 months now and haven't found one.

It was never Tai's dream to run a restaurant, but her husband's. He had a stroke several years ago, leaving Tai in charge.

They have one year to open a new place but Tai said it need not have a tiki theme.

I offered in the deal that if they wanted any items back if/when they reopened at a new location, they could, but she didn't really want that. She is happy it is going to me/Thatch.

You are so right about the regulars, I was there last Sat., and at the bar was a stripper/college student (with glasses...HOT!), an emo band singer (cheer up little emo guy) an old crusty man who remembered my name, and a woman who smoked two cigs at a time. The stories told that afternoon were better than any recent Nicolas Cage movie.

I will miss it there.
Robert

T

It's good that the stuff will end up at your bar. Congrats!
Someone needs to take LOTS of video of the place before it goes out.
Get the layout of the place, People who work there, Last night party. Ect....

I took what I thought was alot of video of the Kahiki at the end.
But still wish I had done more.
Good luck!

On 2006-09-05 20:26, ikitnrev wrote:
My reaction on this news is somewhat bittersweet.

Let me second that emotion.

When I first read the title to the thread I thought you'd bought the whole place & were going to run it as the Jasmine Tree. But in an imperfect world you seldom get what you want, and the decor from the restaurant will live on in Thatch, and I did find some nice mugs and a Lava® Lamp last week...

E

I'm saddened too about the demise of the Jasmine Tree. Since I moved here I'd been hoping to get a chance to have a drink or two there, but my opportunity never materialized.

I am glad to know, though, that the decor will live on in Thatch.

Any update on an opening date?

Hey Robert, so has THATCH actually opened yet?

Man, I'm shocked about the Jasmine Tree!
My wife and I were heading up to Seattle as vendors at the Seattle Home Tiki Bar Tour and we packed our copy of "Tiki Road Trip" and planned on a slow drive up stopping at all the Tiki locations we could find! We stayed at the Palms Motel just 2 blocks from The Alibi and we went to dinner at the Jasmine Tree and spent hours hanging out in the bar talking to the owner and guests......that was only the last week of July into August! I just can't believe it's gone just like that!
If anyone is interested I shot tons of photos there! We LOVED it! We LOVED Portland!
So I guess we now have to plan another visit soon to check out THATCH! :)
Please keep me informed if you do sell off any of the Jasmine's collectibles!

Dave
TIKI HUNTER

M

So is Thatch actually going to open by the end of the month?

Yeah, I was saddened by the news that they were getting shut down by the man. I always liked that place. It had great food and an awesome feel to it.

At least some good can come of it by its stuff living on somewhere else.

Man, I -am- drunk! I meant great drinks. LOL.

Hi Everybody,

I like to thank everybody for 29 wonderful years. It has been a great run and it has been fun. My brother and I grew up in that restaruant and started as dishwashers for mom and dad. Worked our way up to actually touch the money! Closing the doors for the final time on Oct. 6th 2006 at 02:30am was perhaps one of the toughest things that I had to do. The experience my brother told me was like a death in the family, like a part of him had died. But what was even more tough was to see my mother turn that sign outside the window to show "Sorry We're Closed" knowing that it will never be turned again.

I'm glad that most people enjoyed their experience there at the Jasmine Tree. We had wonderful employees from Jimmy and Joyce at the bar to Danny running around serving as many customers as he can. And who can't forget the customers chatting about politics and religon. There are many memories that will be with me. And those who didn't have such a good experience? Oh well, can't win them all.

Thanks Williamte Week for the love. 2006 Drinkopedia they ranked our Mai Tai best overall. And they have given us props from our service and drinks. Much thanks go out to the Bar Fly and the people. Thanks go to all the books and reviews of our place.

I'm glad that Robert has decided to keep the Jasmine Tree spirit alive and we wish him well with Thach. I look forward to seeing the collection that has been passed on from one Tiki to another Tiki to another. Thank you all for your wonderful comments and hope to see everybody there at Thatch.

Xie Xie all,

Terry

I first discovered the Jasmine Tree in a book called Tiki Road Trip. TRT is a gold mine in a way. Almost like a secret road map to the best tiki bars in America. When I picked up my copy, I started marking places I wanted to go, and experience. The Jasmine was one of my top list places, cause it was so unassuming. Last year, when visiting my sister in portland, I finally had the chance to make it to the Jasmine, and have a Mai Tai. As I sat there with my friends, I realized that I had instantly fallen in love with the place. I thought to myself, "when I finally move to Portland from DC, I'm gonna come here every week!"

Well, I moved to portland at the end of Sept. The first place I came, once I was settled, was the Jasmine. I sat back and enjoyed the best Mai Tai I'd come across. At the same time, I was saddened to learn that the end was near.

I'm sad that the Jasmine is gone. Of all the tiki bars I've been to, it was my favourite. Not because of its tiki-ness, but because of it being exactly what it was. I drove by last night, and saw that it was closed, and the signs taken down. It was sad knowing I'll never have a drink there again. But, I can safely say that no matter what tiki bars I visit in the future, I'll always compare them to the Jasmine Tree and her Mai Tai's. There may be flashier tiki bars, but never a mai tai that was quite as good.

M

On 2006-10-13 01:20, Jasmine_Tree wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I like to thank everybody for 29 wonderful years. It has been a great run ...... But what was even more tough was to see my mother turn that sign outside the window to show "Sorry We're Closed" knowing that it will never be turned again.

Xie Xie all,

Terry

Jasmine Tree....RIP!!!! I remember hearing about the place but wondering if it was really "tiki" or just another Chinese restaurant with a liquor license. Supposedly the ALibi was the only tiki bar in Portland. I called up and I asked the woman if they had any tikis--(this question usually is answered with a long silent pause!)and was surprised when the voice on the phone instantly answered "yes". I got my sister and brother in law in the car and we heaqded down. My eyes bugged out when I saw the sign above the lounge stating "TIKI BAR" -this is it I thought. When I entered and looked around, a woman came up and asked me if I was the one that called. I said yes, and we were given the royal treatment-ans what a great time it was. I will miss you, Jasmine Tree. I will. Sniff......

Picked these up today at a little antique store in Littleton, Colorado:

Pages: 1 20 replies