Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Shark Art Show (Mystic Tiki Paintings)

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

Aloha!
Art Show announcement: "Mystic Tiki" paintings of Brad Parker.

Mystic Tiki #1: Lava Surfer

Mystic Tiki #2: Green Honu

Mystic Tiki #3: The Magic Pineapple
Gallery opening, on Sunday, November 19th. The location is a private residence in Toluca Lake. (217 South rose, Toluca Lake, CA. 91505). More details will be posted on http://www.tikishark.com as the date approaches. Or call the Tiki Shark offices at (818) 840-0786. For more about the artist, please take a look in the summer issue of Tiki Magazine: in the "Up and Coming Tiki" section. Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-11-14 12:53 ]

Great lookin invite!
I gotta mark this on me calendar!

S

I'm with Lil' Lost. It's a must go thang! Brad is an amazing painter (and he's very well behaved at restaurants!)so don't miss this one.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 4:37 PM

Yeah, the bastard's got more talent/skill than one man deserves. GROG will be there to peruse your crap. (Damn you!!)

Thank you, I am truly honored by such fine patronage!

Mystic Tiki #5: The Skull
24" x 30" acrylic

Added to the Art Show, food by Chef Ali, and music by the Steven James band (www.stevenjamesband.com). Also a display of production art from films Brad has created for such as Jeepers Creepers and Envy to Dream Girls.

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-10-27 17:50 ]

Just in... as requested I will be selling signed, limited edition prints, (at a reasonable price), at the show.
Here's the first.

"Zombie Dance"
20" x 16"

R

Freaking awesome!!! Any chance for those of us unable to go to the show to get one?

Please !!!

M

I'd love to attend. How do I get on the invite list?

Rodeotiki - I'm sure I will have some left over after the show, and I will offer them up for sale by mail, fer sure! Please watch this thread and I will let you know how to order after the 19th. Thanks! It warms my heart to know I can share my art with other fans of images of dancing zombies!
MTkahuna - I'm so glad you like the work. Invite list? You're on it!!, and everyone else who can make it to Toluca Lake on November 19th between 3 and 9 PM. (Please see the exact address above.) Hope to see you there.
Thanks again!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:12 AM

GROG washing GROG's hair that day.

Hate you!

(See you on the 19th, bastard!)

Can GROG please bathe as well? Indubitely! :lol:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 7:39 PM

Hey Ken, you're not really a blonde, your roots are showing.
Indubitably.

Actually, it's a rare hair condition where the hairs that see the outside world turn white while the roots,sheltered from all the hustle and bustle,remain their natural color...I think the medical term is "Hustle-bustle hair" and i would respectfully ask you not to make fun of my medical condition.Indubitably! Poor Brad! We're hogging up his post! We'll settle this in the front of the Tonga Hut! :x

Hey, play nice yous guys! I got the strange "goofy thoughts in the brain has turned the hair gray" disease - but ya don't hear me complaining. Yesterday, the tall one and I were at the Kona farmers market and he got excited because a vendor there had iced coconuts for sale. He used to have these as a kid back home, so I tried one...You pull a coconut out of a cooler, chop open one end with a machete, stick in a straw and drink it! Nice! Talk about a tropical drink! Back in Burbank late tonight!

Mystic Tiki Painting #6

24" x 18" acrylic on canvas

So, the band said they will play two 40 minute sets during the art show this coming Sunday. Between 5 PM to 7 PM.
http://www.stevenjamesband.com

Sitting in with the Steven James band will be local rock star (and my buddy) "Zallen" (aka Mike Jones).
http://www.zallenmusic.com

(that's a web site correction for Zallen, whoops, sorry Mike!)

Also, I was interviewed by "Broadway Radio" at http://www.haineshisway.com/radio/ about the art show. Why, you ask, would they want to talk about tikis? Well, Donald Feltham, the host, talks to me about the production art I created for the film "Dream Girls" that will also be up for sale, along with my Mystic Tiki Paintings. Basically I yak my head off about stuff that happen during the production of the film. Art work for Jeepers Creepers, Jeepers Creepers II, Envy, and some other lesser known projects will also be up for sale.

Hope to see you there TC!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-11-13 16:38 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-11-14 17:54 ]

Bump!
Gotta get the TC Ohana to see this marvellous piece and compel them to come to your show! Should be a HOOT and a HOLLAH!
Great final shot, by the way! Those colors are gonna burn my eyes out in person! Can't wait to get a new prescription! That meandering pathway on the right just nails that tropical feel and texture! reminds me of Okinawa. Did you know they recently found some huge megalithic ziggurat kinda things near there? Lot's of history in the area! In fact Right near Naha (Oki's capital)is this stone fortress from around 100BC-100AD...not much to write home about ,but the place had a special vibe all it's own! Sounds like your event will have a special vibe as well! Paint! Paint! Paint my friend! Paint til your arms go numb and your eyes cross! I wanna see TWO new paintings outta you before Sunday!

As requested, this has just been added to the show. Art Print #2 - (at an affordable price).

"Mystery Isle"
Signed/numbered, limited edition. 16" x 20"

Wow, for some reason the colors are off on this web translation. The print is a more subtle purple tone, and the green is not so neon.
Thanks for looking!

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 5:05 PM

I too am a more subtle purple tone, and my green is not so neon.
Arteests....sheeesh...never happy!
I'll be there if for nothing else, the free booze!!!!

except for Ernie and Kirby-they should pay for booze, because Ernie's loaded from that poker game and because Kirby peed on my car at the Tonga Hut (true story!) :lol:

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 9:36 AM

Next time GROG pee on Ruzic's car, too.

Hey TC Ohana,

Good News: Yes, we'll be serving wine, (and especially for my Tiki Ohana) Chef Alii will whip up his infamous "Voo Doo Punch". I'm not sure what that is exactly, but heck, this guys done these kinds of partys a thousand times so I'm sure it'll be delicious and make your vision blur.

Not so good news: Heard back from Chef Alii about the big Tiki Ice Sculpture. It may be too expensive for me to swing - (Sunday Ice delivery charge and all) to the show. We'll see. The Chef said if no ice, then he'll swing something cool with a bunch of pineapples. (?!) Hey, he's a professional, I'm sure it'll be great.

I'm hanging the show tonight...and I'm still working on Mystic Tiki Painting #7! Nervous? My first one man art show in about 20 years... Yeah! But, it'll be fine. Go with the flow. My friends are gonna come over tomorrow and set up their amps for their band. I invited all the neighbors so they won't bitch about it when the band starts playing. My brother-in -Law's gonna come over tomorrow and light the art. All good stuff... I'm not nervous... really I'm not...

... now excuse me while I got throw up.

Holy cats, Someone just bought another painting!

Mystic Tiki #4: The Ghost Shark. It has been sold. Come see it on Sunday, before it goes to it's new home.

Congrats and a "bump" so all last minute TCers with nothing to do on Sunday can come see GROG vs SQUID grudgematch! Two ugly MUGS fighting it out to the finish! Brad has one of those round DeathCages in the back. Should be good! No Holds Barred! The winner can pee on my truck! Oh yes....and Brad has some of the MOST AWESOMEST pieces around. That Shark piece is a Good'un! Brad will be moving to Hawaii in a few weeks so if you haven't met him or seen his work,C'mon Down and show the Tiki-Support! Who knows when you'll see his work in-person next! You've all been lurking here, now come see all the paintings you've oggled over and learned about! Plus, there's the GROG vs SQUID match (Kirby will be selling hotdogs/tamales/popcorn out back! But don't buy anything! He doesn't wash his hands after he pees! True Story!)

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2006 12:39 PM

GROG not so sure you'd want Squid peeing on your truck. He pees ink.

That's okay! My truck is a dark midnight blue....
By the way, YOU'RE GOING DOWN GROG! Squidsy can take you with 4 tentacles tied behind his back!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2006 2:46 PM

Squid's wrestled before:
http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-calamariwrestler.html

----------but--------------------

GROG will be serving dinner tomorrow night at Tiki Shark's art show.
What's on the menu, you ask?

http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/vineyard/6430/calamarirec.html

Take your pick, GROG will be serving it all.

There's also going to be some nice Tiki art there,too, by the way. Looking forward to it Brad.

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-11-18 14:47 ]

Thanks guys! Hey I was just wearing the Squid/God shirt I made years ago for a rave on the Big Island.

Anyways, the show is up and lighted, and even a some of it already sold, all I gotta do now is finish Mystic Tiki #7...

Hope to see you there.

BUMPAROONIE!
G'wan! Git! to Brad's show tomorrow!
Nice squid/god shirt! May I borrow the art to create a bootleg
"SQUID vs GROG Ultimate Smackdown in the CAGE OF PAIN with No-Holds Barred and to the DEATH match" t-shirt? Too late!
Ladies and gentlemen-the bootleg Squid vs GROG Deathmatch shirts will be on sale at Brad's show! (proceeds go to GROG BALD FUND and SQUID EYEGLASS FUND as well as a small stipend to Brad for letting us co-opt his thread and artwork!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-11-18 23:12 ]

Ken, Squid, Grog, you guys rock!
Now, at the show today, I'm not sure if there IS going to be a "Death Match:" between a Giant Squid and a Cave Man in an iron cage, however, I promise there is gonna' be some art to look at, some wine, Voo Doo Punch, poo poos, and live music. Here's the last entry, submitted for your approval and purusal...

Mystic Tiki #7: The Puffer Fish, 16" x 24" Acrylic on canvas
thanks and ALOHA!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-11-19 09:03 ]

S

Holy *%^$@! That is cool. Can't wait to see it in person!

Mystic Tiki #7......Approved!
fastest paintbrush in the West!
Just think,If you did one of these a week,you'd have over 50 by the end of one year!
Cha-Ching!

aloha shark. i love your paintings. when are you gonna offer some to da tc ohana?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 11:39 PM

Congratulations Brad on such a nice batch of art, AND congratulations on selling all of your paintings. Let GROG know when you're settled-in in Hawaii, so GROG can come visit. GROG got there after Ruzic and Squid were gone, so looks like the Death-Match will have to be postponed. It's probably a good thing, there would have been blood, and ink splattered everywhere, and the art would've probably been ruined.

S

Brad-
Congratulations on a great show! Mrs. Squid and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Very happy to score some of your storyboards. Best of luck to you guys in HI. You will be missed. :(

BRAD,the show was RAD! Congrats on selling EVERYTHING! WOWZA! Make sure to make prints of alla these,because I know people will be snatchin 'em up! great food and lovely home you got there Abbas! Saw some TCers there too! But I can never remember names....
If y'all missed this, start crying because seeing these paintings online is nothing to experiencing them in person! You are hereby ordered to visit the mainland at least twice a year so us Californians can experience your work on a consistent basis.... And it doesn't matter if GROG showed up late....he still forfeited! Congrats one more time on such a splendid show! Can Dave and I have your patron mailing list ??? :wink:

A big Thank you to everyone for making it out to Burbank for my show yesterday.
We had a huge turn out for most of the day, and every painting sold! So many friends and family showed up the house was packed! Many friends who I haven't seen in quite a while, and some new friends as well. It was great seeing Squid, Mrs Squid, MTKahuna, Ken, Al, and even Grog and everyone else who showed up from the Tiki Tribe! Thanks again everyone for making it a successful event! And a big thanks to the Steven James band and Zallen for playing and jamming afterwords, plus the food by Chef Ali was outstanding!
However, I think I'm still recovering from all the Voo Doo punch I drank...

P

Well done Brad - a sellout! Hardly surprising really. Now you just gotta work out a way of getting your stuff to the unwashed masses who can't make it to California or Hawaii. I'd love to see some T-shirts and prints of your B&W stuff like the tiki robot carrying the woman, as well as prints of the Mystic tikis.

Ken - thanks again, it meant a lot to see you there! You're my total tiki yoda man!
Squid - I'm honored you bought something!
MTKahuna - It was great meeting U! Really nice, thanks fro driving all the way up from down south!
Tiki AL - thank you so much for your purchase. (Half way through the evening I saw that Mystic Tiki#6 was still without a red dot, and I was thinking "Cool, that's my favorite painting and will look totally great in Hawaii." Then, of course, you snatched it!) I'm extremely happy it's going to you!
Grog thanks for showing up late!
It was great seeing everyone! wow, thanks again! Let's do it again in about 6 months!

M

Brad,
Great show...
Thanks for the invite and the good spirits.
Happy trails to Kona.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 5:41 PM

Great stuff man, but not surprising :)

Thanks for being there MTKahuna, I hope to see you again at some Tiki Event this coming year. thanks,Hewey, we'll always have Tiki Central!

K

sincere congratulations Senior Shark!

beautiful all the way around!

aloha!

Sounds like it was a great show. Wish I could have made it.
I have to move out of Phoenix so I can go to cool events like this more often.
Congrats on the sold out show Tiki Shark!

Wow!
Nobody has posted photos,and i only have a few unexciting ones! Well, until Brad posts some professional pix,here are my humble shots.....great show! these lame pictures cannot capture the pure octane-fueled good time that was brad's show!
Here's a wall with two paintings from that wall....

Here's Brad showing off all of his red-dotted SOLD pieces.....

Here's some people.....

Squid and mate sighting.....

TikiAl with the lovely lady who had about six,maybe seven cups of Voodoo punch. I forgot her name but i'll remember it next time!

That's it for the excitement! Thanks for posting all your exciting pics,Brad!

Aloha from the BIg Island! IT's been total chaos during the move, and I'm at a cyber cafe - across from the water of Kona bay!
Here's some photos from the show all those days ago..
5514x4574976b.jpg[/img]
Here's the Tiki Central crew... left to right...
Tiki Al, Ken (my Tiki Yoda) Ruzic, Brad (Tiki Shark) and MT Kuhuna!
Thanks again Everyone!
My lap tops battery is about dead...
Aloha and love from the Big Island!
Brad

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-12-04 13:57 ]

YOU'RE ALIVE! I THOUGHT GROG HAD BUMPED YOU OFF IN AN ART ENVY RAGE!
SO WHAT KIND OF NEW PAINTINGS DO YOU HAVE TO SHARE? :)

Pages: 1 2 50 replies