Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kona Kai - Chicago

Pages: 1 6 replies

Wow!

While hanging around Chicago I drove over to the old Kona Kai. Should have just walked in but chose to keep everything on the up and up so checked in with front the desk. Needed pictures for an architectural paper I'm writing for UGA. Hotel management seems very uneasy about publicity and is not sure how much longer the decor will be in place (perhaps 2 years). I assured them that my work is strictly academic in nature and nobody would probably read it anyway. I recieved mixed reactions from my guide who watched me the whole time I was there until I exited the hotel. Doom looks to be hovering on the horizon. I suggested that the pedelum swings in two directions and that the popularity of places like this is on the rise. All they need is to be run by someone with vision and backed by a kick-ass marketing strategy. While there, the hotel was setting up for a wedding party. There is still interest by the local folks, but most around there do not not think it would pay for itself again as a restaurant.

I was marveled at the stream that flows through the place(they are taking care of it). The waterfall was nice and the peacock, strangly tasteful. The dining areas are also in good shape, some of the booths are showing wear. The indirect lighting was great. The bar area looks good and is stocked with new mugs (display only). The carvings seen throughout the place were great (museum-like), including the wooden beams overhead as you walk thorugh the entryway. Man, this was probably a great place to dine back in the day. The bamboo work is astounding, especially in the center of the restaurant. Bamboo Ben would love it. I was looking at the pictures I took and found that the majority came out (no blurries). The major faults I had was with the typical (mauve) hotel chairs around the tables. Surely this place at one time had more appropriate seating. Next was its new name...The Nikko Room. Whats with that? What does Nikko have to do with Polynesia and Tiki? I could not get a straight answer. Oh well...I would have posted a few pictures with this thread but cannot upload them until I get home.
Anyway....the bottom line is that locals who might be interested in the hotel keeping this attraction need to show interest by contacting the hotel or renting the space regularly and state the reason they are doing so. If the hotel removes it then they (managment) should know the potential revenue that will be lost. Also, the National Register of Historic Places makes exceptions when designating unique places (interiors) that fall beneath their 50 year requirement. This place is truely unique and worthy of preservation.....remember the Kahiki? It made the list until removed by a big money deal (demolished, dammit..).

I really enjoyed looking the place over and am very happy with the documentation work completed for my records anyway. Go by and check it out. Its easy to find, just avoid going through the proper channels if you want unlimited time to absorbe it all. Just remember, look but don't touch.

Going to Hala Kahiki tonight for Volcano Bowls with friends.

Hang Loose, everybody! See you at Hukilau.

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2006-08-19 06:05 ]

We stopped in there recently, & the woman who showed us the place could'nt have cared less about the Kona Kai.

We came back & the head of events was very cool. We let her know of the Tiki Terra ce relocating to larger digs & the Hala Kahiki going strong. I have to wonder if the place will be around much longer.

The Marriott doesn't advertise it. What a shame this place is going pretty much wasted.

You're right - rent this place!

If you're not going to rent it, just call & ask about it.

since the kona kai closed, it's only been available for rental for banquets and what not.....the screens they installed as room dividers were put in afterward to break up the room depending on the rental size......we were fortunate to have been able to eat and drink there when it was still open to the public to walk in and hang out for dinner......they had a killer brunch there on sundays that was all you can eat and man did they pile on the food.....i always looked forward to sundays there....sadly it's missed....

T

On 2008-03-13 14:24, mrexotica wrote:
We stopped in there recently....

... and I know WHY!

You and C. had better be getting married in there, pal!
I want to see that place in action again!

I can neither confirm nor deny...

my wife and i got married there a couple years ago, and the place was still fantastic inside. heres to hoping they never totally dismantle that wonderful room.

at the tasting (which, by the way, served stale cake...)
we met a girl who was having her cocktail hour in Kona Kai but her reception was too big... (KK has 450 capacity!)

Pages: 1 6 replies