Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / On The Origins of Tiki Central and the Tiki Rebirth (Q & A)

Post #251807 by bigbrotiki on Thu, Aug 31, 2006 11:25 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2006-08-31 09:42, JohnnyP wrote:

What ever happened to the "Tikiccino" machine shown in the BOT? Hopefully it is someplace safe. I saw a post from a couple years ago here about it being for sale and in bad state of repair, but nothing since.

A while after I had photographed it in situ at The Tikis, Danny's wife was offering it for sale. But the price ($400 or 500) seemed too steep considering that the lines had corroded and it supposedly was unrepairable. Granted, it was an artifact in its own right, but sometimes I feel satisfied enough to just have brought across a unique concept in Tikidom and see no pressing need to possess the object.

Oddly enough, about two years later, me and Dug Miller went on an expedition to Anaheim, and way down South on Harbor Blvd we went into this odd nursery (forgot the name) that had a duck pond around an oil rig, and some cookie Tikis, and there it was again, sitting on a shelf. The owners had invested in The Tikis and taken it as a loss payment. I have no idea where it went from there. I wrote an article about that place in an old Tiki News, maybe someone can find and post it.

How many printings of the hardcover version of the BOT were there? How many copies were printed?

I have that written down somewhere...have no real record of it because Taschen is not very communicative about their sales, and I have no proof because I did not get a percentage on the book:

The first printing in the padded hard cover was 25,000 I believe...then the second printing, already flexi cover, was another 12,000 or so. The third printing was 5000, so over 40,000 have sold by now. I was pushing for a 4th printing, no luck so far, I just hope it will happen for the release of the new book

2008 Note on the BOT print run: What was I saying! The second printing was STILL in the padded hard cover, the THIRD was in the flexi cover...and I bet they printed more than 5000 of that. Haha...no luck on the 4th printing, at all!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-03 10:58 ]