Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Savage Renewal/Urban Archeology: Jungle Land 1964 - 1980 IMAGE HEAVY!

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

Well - since according to Humu, today is "T" - I guess it's my turn!

Some time ago, Sabu posted about how he tried to win this postcard on Ebay - but the bidding just got too out of hand, so he made do with saving the image from the auction. He wondered if there was any other information out there on it?

Luckily, my good friend Tim Hollis happens to know Val Valentine, who designed and created this awesome (now long gone) attraction from Miracle Beach glory days...I also suggest Tim’s definitive book on Miracle Beach – ‘Florida’s Miracle Strip – from Redneck Riviera to Emerald Coast’. It comes highly recommended. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1578066271/102-2851131-5800152

I have a two page article in Tiki Magazine Issue #4 detailing the history of Jungle Land, and excerpts from my interview with Valentine - so I'm not going to reproduce that here (go buy the issue if you aren't a subscriber - it's a very good one)! But what I will do is post some photos for you that didn't make it into the article... Enjoy!

The Jungle Land entrance and Pet Shop...

Val sculpted this - and had it made out of fiberglass...

A family in awe... That "smoke pot" he used got Florida environmentalists up in arms!

The seething mountain denies rest...

Yet another "Photo Face Poke-through" (Thanks Sven!)

Night time view of the strip...

I'd give my eye-teeth to go back and visit this place!

Val Valentine (on the left) and employee stamp envelopes at Jungle Land.

White-hot model, Melody May beckons us into the caves...

Melody with one of Val's custom sculpted skulls... (I originally thought Melody was one of the hostesses, that would lead you on a tour of the caves - unfortunately Val informed me that it was a self-guided tour. But can you imagine?)

Val did hire a P.R. firm that used models to showcase his new creation - these are some really great shots!

The sad demise of Jungle Land...

Around 1980, Alvin's bought the property and turned it into "Alvin's Magic Mountain" - a retail mall...

Anyway - buy Issue #4 of Tiki Magazine for the article if you want to learn more!

I wonder what happened to Melody May?

T
thejab posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 3:23 PM

On 2006-05-01 14:32, Tangaroa wrote:(I originally thought Melody was one of the hostesses, that would lead you on a tour of the caves - unfortunately Val informed me that it was a self-guided tour. But can you imagine?)

I sure can! Wow! That was the best looking archeology I've seen in a while. Thanks!

P
pdrake posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 3:47 PM

pet shop?

could you buy pet monkeys there?

T

I believe so! I know they sold birds, mice, etc....

If this is confusing - the attraction was originally an animal sideshow of sorts, before Val bought it, went insane and built a giant volcano!

K
Kono posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 4:48 PM

More Melody May at Jungle Land:

Quite the hottie. I think I might get a copy of that book. Thanks Tangaroa.

K

Holy Schneikies! humm-a-na... humm-a-na... humm-a-na... humm-a-na...

I grew up in PCB and never knew the full story. My family moved there in in 1979 and I know that area very well. Just west of where Alvin's was establish there was another artificial mountain which was directly across the street from the County Pier. They had a Skyline that started at the pier with a stop at (what I recall as the Magic Mountain) and Miracle Strip Amusemet Park. Inbetween The pier and the mountain was a Goofy Golf that has a large Moai head and other miscellaneous stuff. You can see the other mountain to the left in the picture of the "Strip".

The Skyline was around till the early 80's - the mountain by the pier went soon after. The Amusement park was bulldozed last year for condos. I believe Alvins and the miniature golf course are still there. PCB is transforming from a sleepy tourist town into Fort Lauderdale North (condos, condos, condos...) so these places may not be there for very long.

As a kid and teenager I spent almost every weekend hanging out/drinking/other stuff with friends on the strip - right there. I will look and see if have any photos from back then. Photos are rare because they were considered "evidence".

Thanks for archeology - it revived some "long-thought dead" braincells.

T

The Goofy Golf & other oversized figures (The ship, Abominable Snowman, Devil Head, etc...) were all designed & sculpted by Val as well...

H

WOW! What a flashback!
I remember running rampant through the caves in that volcano on vacation from Ga. as a kid. Must've been around 1973-75 when I went (which would put me at around 9 -11 years old then).

I remember getting a savage vibe from that place even as a kid, which apparently, would later mature into the 'tiki vibe', I guess.

I remember when I was there they had huge 'alligator gar fish' in the lagoon/mote thing around the volcano--mesmerizing as yungin'!

H

Also--(as memories keep coming back while reading this thread) seems I remember going to a parrot show of sorts at this place. It was an area surrounded by lush foilage and there was a seating area of wood bleachers facing a counter or bar which served as the 'stage' for the parrots.

The trainer/handler/whateverUwannacallhim guy stood behind the counter and directed the birds show. I remember 2 parrots and they would ride little bird-sized tricycles and walk a tight rope, amongst other clever little bird tricks.

I think I may have at least one polaroid from the bird show--I'll see if I can't dig it up next time I visit the family in Ga.

Years ago me and some friends were driving down the Gulf Coast from Pensacola to photograph anything old.I remember seeing fake boulders on the side of a building,and further down some more.We didn't stop to take a picture.....it would be nice to see more photos of the original building(postcards,etc.)from that area,I grew up in Pensacola.I am going to look through my photos to see what I have.P.S.surfs up.

T

On 2006-05-10 21:16, surf-n-turf wrote:...It was an area surrounded by lush foilage and there was a seating area of wood bleachers facing a counter or bar which served as the 'stage' for the parrots.

You are probably remembering this:

Oh my God! those photos are too amazing for words. Wonderful.

H

That's exactly what I remember, sans the babes--looks like the kinda place I would want to hang out at now!! (older, wiser and more into babes than birds--ooops, wife's callin'--gotta go!)

there's some great pics and info on alvin's and jungleland in the book "florida's miracle strip " by tim hollis (available on amazon)

the original pics of alvin's when they built on the old jungleland space are way cool....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-22 18:32 ]

H

On 2006-05-11 19:22, procinema29 wrote:
Oh my God! those photos are too amazing for words. Wonderful.

The truth is spoken, would it be possible to get the pics back up, Tangaroa? They would be treasured by many, I'm sure, just as all of your image rich posts are.

Pages: 1 15 replies