Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

I Dream of Jeannie: Hawaiian Style

Pages: 1 21 replies

W

I just saw the last half of the "I Dream of Jeannie" (IDOJ) episode "Jeannie Goes to Honolulu" on the Hallmark Channel. Very cool. Surprisingly the beach scenes were actually shot in Hawaii (lots of swell Aloha wear). A tiki lamp base was spotted in a hotel room scene. What made the episode super terrific was a scene in a Tiki-esque lounge (Duke Kahanamoku's restaurant? A sign was shown, but quickly.). Dunno if it was a location or a set. The walls were covered in black bamboo, the furniture was bent cane, two tiki supported scorpion bowls were on Tony and Roger's table, and the music was provided by Don Ho (apparently Don appeared earlier in the episode). He and his band did one number which sounded like it had been cut from an Elvis Hawaii flick, then they did a ballad during which the scene disolved from the lounge into a weird video montage of Don and some kid (being pushed around like a prop) wandering around Hawaii. The ballad was great as it was really bad with Don bottoming out his range sounding like a barely audible drunk Elvis.

According to an online IDOJ episoded guide the next episode is "The Battle of Waikiki" where Jeannie zaps King Kamehameha into modern times. The king "...Attacks a lua Dr. Bellows is giving and urges the people of Hawaii to win back their independence." Sound like another must see. The Hallmark Channel seems to run IDOJ a lot so there's a chance of catching the Hawaii epsiodes. Just the sort of thing that should be on the TV if you have one in your Tiki bar.

I just saw the second Hawaiian "I Dream of Jeannie" episode that woofmutt mentioned in this old thread. The episode is titled "The Battle for Waikiki", and appears to be Season 3, Episode 15.

Very silly of course, and there are wonderful shots of 1966 Waikiki. A giftshop scene has some CocoJoes and you can just make out the top of some cheap wooden souvenir tikis. There's a much better tiki in a scene at the Ulu Mau Village. Best of all (for me) were the 1960s Hawaiian print shirts and several stunning outfits worn by Barbara Eden.

I've uploaded the episode to Rapidshare. You can download it free here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/17631828/Jeannie3_15.avi.html

And here are some screenshots:

:down: CocoJoes Figurine?

:down: The tiki at the Ulu Mau Village.

:down: Jeannie doing the hula. What could be better?

Sabu

I guess this was a two parter? From the episode list at idreamofjeanie.com:

#75 - "Jeannie Goes to Honolulu"

Original Air Date: December 26, 1967
Original Air Time: 7:00pm
Written by: Mark Rowane
Directed by: Claudio Guzman

Jeannie is tricked into thinking that Roger and Tony are going on survival mission to North Pole, but they go to beautiful Hawaii. Once she finds out, she blinks her way to Waikiki Beach and discovers Tony is involved with a beautiful girl. Rather than risk the generals daughter's saftey Tony tells Jeannie she is a princess and she is a part of a secret mission.

Guest stars Don Ho.

Did you know? This episode was filmed on location around the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu on the island of Ohahu. The beach (Waikiki Beach), hotel and surrounding areas remain nearly unchanged and have caught the attention of random fans of the television series.

#76 - " Battle of Waikiki"

Original Air Date: January 2, 1968
Original Air Time: 7:00pm
Written by: Marty Roth
Directed by: Hal Cooper

Still in Hawaii, sightseeing Tony is impressed with the history of King Kamehameha and wishes he could have met him. When Jeannie makes the monarch appear in full regalia, they attempt to take him on a tour of the island. Unimpressed with the changes after 200 years he manages to break away from Jeannie and Tony and soon provokes the locals to attack a luau (attended by Dr. Bellows) in an effort to win back the Hawaiian Islands.

Guest stars Michael Ansara as King Kamehameha who was married to Barbara Eden at the time.

If all genies looked like Barbara Eden in the 60's I would most definitely want one....

If they could they could replace Maryann and Ginger with Genie and Samantha Stevens (original).... That would be TV worth watching.

Maybe throw in Mary Tyler Moore during her Dick Van Dyke days instead of Mrs. Howell...

Now thats good TV!

Guess what. I found the "Jeannie Goes to Honolulu" episode as well. I've uploaded it here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/17687934/Jeannie3_14.avi.html

And here are some screenshots:

:down: Roger in his Don The Beachcomber Hat

:down: Inside Duke Kahanamoku's

:down: Has anybody ever seen these scorpion bowls before?

:down: I spotted several more tiki mugs in this scene. Unfortunately, I have a very small .AVI file, and they're not clear. Are these episodes out on DVD? And if so, does anyone own them who could post a larger screen capture of this mug and the bowls?

:down: Don Ho performing. Lots of good closeups of those shirts.

:down: Beachcomber lamp

:down: And finally, the Milan Guanko-inspired lamp in the hotel room.

:down: ... Which appears to match the figure in Alphie's Coffee Shop in Santa Barbara. Most of the decor in Alphie's came from Oceanic Arts, so I assume the tiki did as well? I believe Bigbro said that this same tiki appears in a Gilligan's Island episode.

Sabu

Thanks Sabu, that was entertaining. I was surprised to see a navel on one of the girls in the beach scene. I thought "I Dream of Jeanie" didn't show belly buttons, or maybe that just applied to Barbara Eden.

There's one more episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" that takes place in Hawaii. I'll add some screenshots and an upload link tomorrow if I can. Two more of those tiki lamps are featured in this one as well.

Episode #64, "Greatest Con Artist in the World"
Description: While staying in Hawaii, Jeannie and Tony meet Mr. Vanerhaven, the richest man on the islands. Not knowing the person not really Vanderhaven is really Charlie, Mr. Vanderhaven's butler and a con artist who persuades Jeannie into buying a piece of land that he says is filled with diamonds. Not knowing they are fake diamonds, Jeannie accepts the offer as a trade for a pin that Kind Tut gave to her personally. When Jeannie finds out the truth about the land, he goes back to Vanderhaven and shows him millions of diamonds that she blinked up. Vanderhaven gives the pin back and takes the land back. Before leaving, Jeannie turns the Diamonds into candy!

MMMMMMM Jeannie.
I was just a littel tike watching those, but man I had a huge crush on Jeannie.
Thanks for all the pics, they'll come in handy, doh!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[i]a con artist who persuades Jeannie into buying a piece of land that he says is filled with diamonds. Not knowing they are fake diamonds, Jeannie accepts the offer as a trade for a pin that Kind Tut gave to her personally. When Jeannie finds out the truth about the land, he goes back to Vanderhaven and shows him millions of diamonds that she blinked up. Vanderhaven gives the pin back and takes the land back. Before leaving, Jeannie turns the Diamonds into candy!

Yeah, I saw this episode - was it about a week ago? I had flipped the channel around and landed on the tail end of this one! So is Hallmark airing IDOJ regularly?!

THANK YOU SABU for uploading the shows. Lava Pants (Mike, my husband) is downloading for me now. Can't wait to download the other show too!

Last week we were in Tower Records and saw that the 1st Season of IDOJ is out and purchased it. I have been waiting for this series to come out finally on DVD.... does anyone know when they plan to release the other seasons? Since these are in Season 3, it might be a 2-year wait if they are only releasing 1 season per year.

Great thread. That looks like a Treasure Craft male hlua dancer to me.

I think he is her companion...

KG

Thanks, KG. Argh - I should have known it was Treasure Craft. I don't know where my memory goes sometimes. It looks like the drummer:

as opposed to the dancer:

Sabu

Jeannie doing the hula. What could be better?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

M

Werd!!! Genie was my heart throb

Great photos Sabu!
With Shelley Fabares in "Ride The Wild Surf" 1964.

L

On 2006-04-10 06:49, freddiefreelance wrote:

Did you know? This episode was filmed on location around the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu on the island of Ohahu. The beach (Waikiki Beach), hotel and surrounding areas remain nearly unchanged and have caught the attention of random fans of the television series.

this review musta been written back in the 60's cuz that... "surrounding areas remain nearly unchanged" is a physical impossibility now. It is VERY much changed.

L

On 2002-05-07 13:05, woofmutt wrote: He and his band did one number which sounded like it had been cut from an Elvis Hawaii flick,

either that, or the derivative elvis flicks contain music cut from the originals, such as Kui Lee and his friend and associate, Don Ho.

some kid (being pushed around like a prop) wandering around Hawaii.
whooohaaa! interesting perspective....

T

I had a huge crush on Jeannie too. I was always rooting for Roger to steal her from boring Tony. Then when her brunette twin sister came on the show I wanted her not Jeannie! Always attracted to the "bad" girls I guess :wink:

mmmmmm..... brunettes...

And for fun, Bill Daily is up for a new comedy horror movie called Horrorween. http://www.horrorween.com

Am hoping he is down to earth and not a stuck up actor type. So far, everyone else I met involved has been absolutely the sweetest people. this is going to be FUN.

Sabu's download links are no longer active, but I Dream of Jeannie episodes are now showing up for free viewing over on hulu.com, the new NBC-Fox site. The one he mentions, episode 64, "The Second Greatest Con Artist in the World" is there. Right now, only parts of seasons 2 and 3 are there, but maybe the rest will trickle in over time. The site is pretty cool, by the way. Nice to have all these shows available on demand for free.

I Dream of Jeannie episodes are here.

Hulu dosent have this episode so here is the link to the first of 3 episodes titled Battle of Waikiki in the third episode there is a tiki lamp on the hotel rooms nightstand. Don Ho performs at Duke Kahanamokus and plenty of beach shots which looks like it was filmed by Fort Derussy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsCyl69nb2o

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2009-03-12 18:39 ]

G

I just stumbled on the IDOJ episodes that youtube has up now. Good thing is, the quality is very good. Here are links to the three episodes mentioned in this thread:

The Greatest Con Artist In The World (season 3, episode 64)

Jeannie Goes To Honolulu (season 3, episode 75)

The Battle Of Waikiki (season 3, episode 76)

Pages: 1 21 replies