Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Vacation in Kauai - Bar crawl and mug quest input needed

Pages: 1 8 replies

K

Me and the Wahine are going to Kauai next month and are looking for the best bars on the island. I've searched the posts and found a few tips but I am looking for information on allyall's favorite places to imbibe the tropical beverages while washed ashore on Kauai. And - to feed the mug quest jones - any information on establishments where mugs can be had would be cool too. Any help from recent visitors or our island 'ohana would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

T

Are you staying in the north or the south?

K

On 2006-03-20 14:04, TikiSan wrote:
Are you staying in the north or the south?

We'll be staying for a couple of nights on the East side of the island - Kapa'a - and several nights in the south - Poipu. Will travel for a good pour though!

My mind is there already - can't...get...(mmmm Mai Tai)...work...done

In Poipu, visit (in order of recommendation):

1. Hyatt - Tidepools restaurant w. two giant tikis in the lobby & tikis throughout the restaurant, which overhangs a koi pond

2. Keoki's paradise - Poipu Shopping Village - large lagoon, tiki torches, thatched roof bar, tiki mugs

3. Hyatt- Stevenson's library - on the terrace, overlooking the tiki torch illuminated grounds

4. Bar at Plantation Village, no tiki, but nice tropical vibe

P

In Kapa'a, there's a little fruit stand across the street from the big burger and beer joint on the north side of town.
Go to that fruit stand and get them to make you a smoothie of mango or papaya. Or both.

Add 3 shots of rum to it.

There's the best drink in Kapa'a.

There's also a place there in the center of town called Coconuts, I think, that has a pretty decent drink menu, but nothing to compare with say, a Trader Vics.

There's an open air place in Hanalei called Zelo's or Zeno's or something like that on the main road across from the town center. Great food and decent drink selection.

Waimea Brewing Company is worth a stop by.

Plantation Village has a drink called the Prince Kuhio that is very good. It's an original there, I believe.

But seriously. That smoothie/fruit stand has it together and some decent wraps and stuff, too.
It's called Mother something or Mama something's and all the surf hippies work there.

K

Thanks Tikisan, Christiki and pablus - I will add all of these to my Kauai quest for relaxation and booze.

O

If you want laid back...theres the Tahiti nui in Hanalei. Decent food, local music at night. the band surf jones is a good evening of fun and is usually on tues nights, wich is also taco tues. stumble down aku road,next to the tahiti and you will be at hanalei bay. all sand bottom with nothing to step on,and you can wade out about a hundred yards. make a right turn at the end of the aku road and go as far as you can. then you will hit the river. swimming is good there also and it is fresh water. man I wish I was there right now. have fun... if you want more ideas just ask we have many...there really are not to many places with mugs ...happy hunting.

On 2006-03-27 07:43, pablus wrote:
That smoothie/fruit stand has it together and some decent wraps and stuff, too.
It's called Mother something or Mama something's and all the surf hippies work there.

I had an AMAZING wrap in a Kapa'a food shack. I wonder if it was this place...
We also really enjoyed "Ma's Kitchen" in Lihue - awesome spam omelettes literally made by Ma herself - an 80 something sweetie.

Tahiti Nui in Hanalei has a pretty cool rocks glass they sell that has Tikis on it.

Pages: 1 8 replies