Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki / Hawaiian merchandise Store in Northern California Closing (Updated 6/7/06)

Pages: 1 2 replies

The owners of the wonderful Hawaiian & Tiki store, Sitting in Paradise, have asked me to place a posting on Tiki Central for them. They are interested in selling their thriving business after many years of hard work and Aloha for all things Hawaiian.

They started the business in 1999 doing road shows. This led to establishing a permanent store in East Sacramento (CA) in November, 2001. When they opened, the store was a mere 300 square feet without air conditioning, heat, or facilities. In 2004, they moved into a 2400 square foot storefront, next door, 20 feet east (in the same building) to their original site. They are now in this location, filling it with quality Hawaiian and Tiki products which everyone can afford.

I have made several postings about Sitting in Paradise (SIP) in the “Locating Tiki” section of Tiki Central, because I really believe in what Christine and Scott, the owners, have accomplished. Their store not only smells great when you walk in, but you immediately feel the Aloha they have captured. I would love to see this continue in the hands of someone who can continue on with their work.

SIP has all kinds of merchandise including a huge collection of mugs (most from Tiki Farm), aloha shirts and muumuus (hundreds in all colors and sizes), tropical scented candles (fresh cut tuberose is my favorite), leis, music, lamps, framed pictures (most framed in bamboo), party supplies (plates, napkins, grass skirts, etc), automobile accessories (Hawaiian stickers, license frames, trailer hitches), carved tikis and plaques, wigglers, salt & pepper shakers, and jewelry. Their merchandise ranges from inexpensive party supplies, to large, bronze motion Hula lamps. They literally have thousands of dollars of inventory to browse. Christine has always taken pride in learning what her customers want; if she doesn’t currently stock it, she locates it and purchases several, so she has it available in the store. Their website http://pweb.jps.net/~sitparadise/about.html covers a small portion of the merchandise you will find in the store.

It is very sad to see Christine and Scott moving on, but they are not ready to just close the store down. They are very determined to find someone to take over the business from where it is now. This is why they asked me to make the posting here on Tiki Central. Christine is trying to avoid “lookie loo’ers” in spinning her wheels. She would like to find truly interested parties in taking over what she and Scott have created. They are also very concerned not to create confusion, panic, or gossip with their current customers, and haven’t released this information to the general public yet.

If you are seriously interested, or know of someone who would be, please contact Christine at [email protected] . Let’s keep another of our treasured tiki establishments from becoming a Walgreen’s and keep the Aloha flowing!!

Here is a picture of the storefront with Christine and Scott, the current owners.

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2006-03-13 19:29 ]

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2006-06-08 07:55 ]

M

BUY this store, folks, and you can use your trips to Hawaii as a tax right-off!

Sadly, Sitting in Paradise has decided to close its doors for good. Please check out this link...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13494&forum=2&start=last&6

• Myke

Pages: 1 2 replies