Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hale Tiki now closed...but will reopen soon

Pages: 1 40 replies

Aloha,

I regret to inform you all that I have decided to close Hale Tiki. The last day of operation was last Friday.

The reasons for closing Hale Tiki are mostly personal on my part. Money, business, and public support are not the issues here. Hale Tiki has enjoyed great support from our town and some of you all as well.

Hale Tiki has been one of the high points of my life so far and I enjoyed every minute of it. However, I have had a rough six months and I am choosing to do something different with my life now.

There are several offers on the table from interested parties and I might sell Hale tiki lock-stock-and-barrel. But chances are I will not, and that the closing will be for good.

I want to thank all of you that have supported us during the past two years and hope that Hale Tiki has helped the hobby.

I will drop by Tiki Central from time to time but just as this is my first visit in a while, it will be my last visit for a while. If you would like to contact me try my e-mail.

I just thought that you all would like to know.

Thanks You All and Goodbye,

Brad

[ Edited by: Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens 2006-02-24 08:07 ]

[ Edited by: Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens 2006-03-03 13:46 ]

Sad as it may be... is anyone surprised? I'm kind of astonished it held on as long as it did. I'm just sorry I never got a chance to see it.

Sad to hear. Was there just not enough business coming through the door?

Sorry to hear this Brad. Good luck in all your future ventures.
Darn!! Yet another tiki bar closed before I had a chance to experience it!!
Support your local tiki bar folks.. It's a hard sell out there!!

That sucks!

What a bummer. This was one fine place. Lot's of labor of love went into it, by Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, and by Swanky, and most of all by Basement Kahuna. Brad's break up with BK left the memory of it somewhat tainted. It was flattering to know the BOT was it's source, yet Brad always seemed to have his own agenda, loosing good people in the process.
That next door lounge to it was a mid-century marvel, what ever happened to those restaurant plans? I feel privileged to have seen the Hale Tiki, thanks to Tiki Kiliki, and Swanky.

It is a fact of life that while we sometimes succeed in creating our own perfect personal paradise, we as people are less than perfect. Marlon Brando owned his own Tahitian island, and it did not make him happy, proving again that the QUEST for paradise on earth is more important than reaching it.

T

"I hope that Hale Tiki has helped the hobby"-Brad

I haven't drank out of a tiki mug in a awhile, and this weekend past I drank out of a couple a night. One was the blue Hale Tiki mug created by BK and I was thinking how much I like this mug.

S

I'll keep my ears open for a closing auction if there is one. Maybe some folks can get their donations returned. We were just talking about going to visit the place again.

On 2006-02-23 15:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
proving again that the QUEST for paradise on earth is more important than reaching it.

This is what I tell my wahine every time another tiki package arrives in the mail, or I head off to search the local antique malls and thrift stores.

Sorry, we didn't go to the grand opening when life was sweeter...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/13934659.htm

Hey Brad!!!

Wait!!!!!

Talk to Doug!!! He knows how to run a good bar!!!

It's all in the music! I'm telling y'all! One can't just listen to exotica the entire time!!! A bar is in biz. to sell drinks. Not naps! Good tunes keep things alive!!

Make the locals happy! They are your bread and butter!!!!

Not the seldom visit from the tiki freak who racks you over the coals to nit pick and bitch!

So what if there is a pool table, or a t.v., or a neon beer lite!!!

You got to do what you got to do!!

I'd like to see the "authors" open their own bars and see if they succeed...

... Just doesn't happen now days.

Do what you got to do, but, talk to the owners of the most popular bars in the u.s. and finger out your sit-ch.

It was a fun build out. Just hate to see it go down so fast.

I

What is the selling price (and more importantly) the shipping cost? Someone should buy the place, move everything into a couple of semi-trucks, and have the first traveling 'on the road' tiki bar.

Seriously, if there is any chance of someone offering to buy and run the place as is - as a great tiki place, do seriously consider that offer.

I do understand that operating any bar/restaurant is an iffy business, with no guarantees for long term success - and for that I commend you for being part of the vision of creating the Hale Tiki in the first place. I made the trip there only once last year, and it was a very memorable visit.

Vern

Brad,

I used to live in Aiken -- how weird is that? Also have cousins in Augusta. Augusta's a very nice town, esp. if you're into golf.

Condolences on the closing of your business. Going into business is tough indeed, is it not? Well, you gave it a good shot, and God bless you. Faint heart ne'r won the fair lady and all that, and believe me I know whereof I speak. Wish I could buy you a drink.

what's going to happen to all the donated items?

M

On 2006-02-23 14:24, Conga Mike wrote:
Support your local tiki bar folks.. It's a hard sell out there!!

Truer words never spoken.

Very sorry to hear it Brad. Wish I could have seen it.

On 2006-02-23 19:25, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/13934659.htm
From the article--"But that's it. Subdued (and let's hope it stays that way). Every time you turn around there's not a Moai in your face (think Conga Lounge), and you don't have to watch the same surf video until you're seasick. Welcome home, neighbors."
I say OUCH!! I'd rather have the same surf video than a Muted (or worse, WITH SOUND)version of The Best Damn Sports Show Period!
As for Moai's, I say "Mo Moai(and cowbwells!)".

T

Perhaps we should post our opinions on the Kona Club review here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17473&forum=7&start=45&hilite=kona

instead of hijacking this topic about the Hale Tiki (R.I.P.).

M

On 2006-02-24 12:54, thejab wrote:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17473&forum=7&start=45&hilite=kona

I was replying to Ben's link about the Kona/Conga that he posted in this thread. I wasn't trying to Hijack (strong term) anything. I see my comments COULD lead to a derailing of this topic if others reply to my reply. Sorry if I offended/angered/bothered anyone as it was not my intention.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-02-24 15:10 ]

I still never received my mug.

T

On 2006-02-24 14:56, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2006-02-24 12:54, thejab wrote:

I was replying to Ben's link about the Kona/Conga that he posted in this thread. I wasn't trying to Hijack (strong term) anything. I see my comments COULD lead to a derailing of this topic if others reply to my reply. Sorry if I offended/angered/bothered anyone as it was not my intention.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-02-24 15:10 ]

I realize why you posted that. I'm not angered, bothered, or offended, I just suggested we discuss the Kona elsewhere. OK, derailed. Nobody's calling you a hijacker. :) Keep smilin'.

T

On 2006-02-24 14:56, mrsmiley wrote:

I'm drunk... I'm drunk, I'm drunk, I'm drunk.

M

I realize why you posted that. I'm not angered, bothered, or offended, I just suggested we discuss the Kona elsewhere. OK, derailed. Nobody's calling you a hijacker. :) Keep smilin'.

zazz!!!

Back to the topic. It is a shame that another Tiki bar bites the dust!
Maybe (to link it to another topic-tee hee) it can get moved and shipped to the DC area to "replace" the Honolulu. OR, better yet, ship it to the SF Bay area ,we don't have enough tiki bars here!! :)
Hopefully an owner can be found and it will re-open.

T

Amen rev ben, Truer words were never spoken.

H

Brad,
That's bad news and I'm glad I got to have a visit before closing. I dropped in during last X-mas holidays and met B'tender Jamie and the Samoan? dude too. Jamie gave us a great tour of the place , he seemed to be really into the whole thing-from the vintage cocktails to the origins of the decor.

I'm originally from Augusta and used to co-own a club about a block up from you (mid-late 90's). I was a partner in Time Piecez--I had a bad business relationship with my partner (initials-JL) and sold out- don't need to go there though. It was gonna be the 'Lava Lounge' originally but creative differences and who put in the most $$ that made the final decision.

I wanted to do at least somewhat of a tiki thing there but p'tnr didn't understand. I built the bar, booths, tables, back bar, painted the lava lamp murals on the walls, painted the checkerboard swirled dance floor--practically everything in that bar I did. Not here to toot my horn, though, but if you ever want to get into another project like Hale Tiki, get in touch- I'm in Folly Beach/ Charleston area now.

Also interested in anything you might want to sell from Hale Tiki, so please give me a shout!

You did what I wanted to do when you opened Hale Tiki, and I, and many other 'right coasters', praise you for that.
Thanks,
Brad Howland

CA

suck'y

On 2006-02-24 14:56, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I still never received my mug.

I ordered one and they sent me two, in separate packages.

S

I know that in the early days of Hale Tiki, it seemed very on track to do well. On a objective point, I think there were things to change. #1) It needed seating at the bar. It's an important part of any bar. That's where you socialize and interact with each other and the bartender. #2) I think there was need for more than what it had a week after opening. That is, I think there was a certain emptyness to the place that a bit more decor could have cured. #3) I would have had live music in there every Friday and maybe Saturday night. Does not need to be tiki or any themed, just what gets people in the place. Kahiki Moon had hip-hop I think. No reason not to change the mood as the night goes on, or the week. Surf rock is always a winner. #4) Food, even just apps, would boost sales.

I knew this day would come where I would read about the closing of Hale Tiki.

I will never forget when Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al flew into Atlanta and Swanky drove from Tennesseee to meet myself, Brad and Basement Kahuna at Trader Vic's prior to making the journey to Augusta to begin the buildout. I still remember the smiles and the spirit in the air of what was to be and how determined they were for the outcome. The pictures that Swanky posted (you can still see them on his website) as they made progress and the stories of how he, BK, Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al worked so hard.

And then how Sven stated, when the bond between Brad and BK was broken, I really feel the spirit was lost. I want to always remember Hale Tiki in the beginning, when the Aloha spirit was alive there and especially within BK.

Wasn't trying to Hi-Jack. Was just trying to say that Bar Owners have to do what they have to do to pay the bills! A 100% Purist Tiki Bar is very rare these days. When I open my bar in the future, I'm playing James Brown cause it makes people feel good! And, I'm showing surf videos too!!! Maybe I'll even have a section that is all CHROME!! For the Harley Davidson sect! What ever works to stay afloat!

Long Live the Hale Tiki!!!

It was a fun build out! Where are my god damn socks!!!

Where's my god damn cell phone! ARRRR!

S

Absolutely Ben. I think I would have theme nights all week. Biker Night, Rainbow Night (which is not referring to the Hawaiian Islands), Beach Blanket Bingo Night, Jazz night, Sponge Bob lunch on Saturday, Luau Buffet brunch on Sunday, and a traditional tiki night with dancers adn hapa haole and uke and steel guitar. Then see how it all shakes out.

I do see in another thread that Brad had Jazz in the restaurant side on some weekends.

Ben, when are you opening your bar? BK and I should fly in for a week to help. :wink:

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-02-26 08:06 ]

S

This thread just made my heart sink. Our one night only visit to the Hale Tiki was one of our most magical modern Tiki visits.

Brad spent the time he could that evening lovingly sharing details of the artifacts, and talking story, and made a special point of helping us understand the history of the space itself and the ways in which parts of it were being preserved from the restaurant side to even taking us upstairs and showing us the secrets of the Hale. A gentleman and a beachcomber he surely was that evening!

We talked about Augusta, and his future visions of all he hoped to accomplish on the Hale. We talked well on into the night over finely crafted cocktails and for a brief shining moment, I saw all that a modern commercial Tiki place could be- the many hours of HARD work the TC build out crew had lovingly put into every details, the amazing contributed items, all of it- it just breaks my heart.

He spoke of how he had worked in the climate he was in to keep the liquor flowing, and about his loyal regulars. Perhaps I'm missing details here, after all, I only saw the one evening, but in Brad's post he said very specifically that the business end didn't seem to be the reason for the closing- that the reasons were personal, not business. Maybe there's some backstory on that, maybe it was doing fine economically, I won't speculate- I'd just point out that before we start a thread on 'another one bites the dust/all the reasons modern tiki isn't commercially viable' that's not the reason Brad gave for the closing.

As far as TC and Hale Tiki- was there internal politic between Brad and BK, yeah. And that too, is very sad. Me, I just try not to take sides in things I don't know anything about. Was there major resentment over the mug mess- yeah, clearly that did a lot to sour many TCers on the whole thing. Just getting that right might have gone a long way to make other TCers alot more supportive. The thing is, and again, I could be wrong here, he was really running a local bar- and didn't rely on national and international TC support for an ongoing nightly business- Augusta was just plain in a place off many TCers routes of travel. Could getting the mug thing right in the first place and TCers supportive from afar been helpful- probably, but I'm honestly not sure how much that ultimately affected this decision.

As one of the few TCers who actually saw it full swing, we were treated as royalty- Brad went WAY out of his way for us. I don't know about the experiences other TCer who made the pilgrimage had, but we at least had a one perfect evening. And the local crowd, (many of whom were younger folks who enjoyed the strong drinks) treated us to some 'tribal' drumming.

Say what anyone will, I can only go by what we firsthand experienced- and that was that Brad and Hale Tiki was the kind of place that quite literally shared their spare Tapa with us, and sent home napkins and stir sticks for the MD/DC Tiki Ohana, we were sent away with fine rum and a souvenirs. So a tiny part of Hale Tiki will live on at the Lounge of the Seven Pleasures and we very sadly mark the Hale Tiki's passing.

Thank you Brad the Beachcomber.

And thank you to all the TC Ohana who made Hale Tiki what it was.

It will be sorely missed.

For those who;d like to linger over the memories or 'visit' one last time, our full Hale Tiki Album lives here- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Hale-Tiki

S

Great pictures Sabina.Thanks for the link. Who carved the tikis behind the bar?

What a beautiful place! Thanks for the pictures.

S

If I'm remembering correctly, (and it's been a while, so I'm not positive on this) the Tikis behind the bar were from a carver he found on e-bay, he liked them so much he had the carver make the 4.

Truely, these are unique and BEAUTIFUL carvings- they really brought a certain focus to the area behind the bar- huge, and although new, had that feeling of being time worn.

If anyone here on TC was responsible for these, I for one, would love to know!

S

On 2006-02-27 20:29, saxotica wrote:
Great pictures Sabina.Thanks for the link. Who carved the tikis behind the bar?

They were an Ebay steal. BK found the auction in which the seller had put in an incorrect Buy It Now amount and they scored them very cheaply.

A bit of backstory and pictures of the build out HERE

I do think that the business did well in the beginning for sure and had support all along from what I gather. They were named #1 bar last year I think. There were plenty who did not get it, but more who absolutely did.

It was an absolutely beautiful place and I'm seriously sad to see it go. I wish I'd gotten back down there after the Grand Opening but, sadly, it was too far away for me to be able to make it a regular hangout.
I hold out hope that there are still places on the Eastern Seaboard that could support a good Tiki Bar and keep it afloat.

man - i wish that someone would pick it up and deliver it to vegas - i have such tiki ti withdrawals up here...

Aloha,

Since closing the doors almost three weeks ago I have been bombarded with folks interested in buying or buying into the Tiki. Many folks are very sad to see it close.

There is a deal in the works now to sell Hale Tiki. The new owners would change a lot things but the overall theme and the name would be the same. Nothing has been signed but it is pretty much a done deal (I am 90% sure this is going to happen). All is agreed upon except for a few details that are being worked out tomorrow. I will know by this time next week for sure.

I would like to make it clear that I am not doing this for finacial reasons. It is mostly personal and has little to do with business. In fact the restaurant side is all but ready, too bad I was not. I am tired of living the "bar vampire" life and must give it up. We had a two year run and it is just time for me to take my life in a different direction now.

To those of you that have posted I say, thanks for all of the kind words. 99.99% of my business has been locals and will continue to be that way under new ownership. However, when ever ANY member of TC has come by and identified themselves I have always made sure that they were treated like royalty. You all love tiki and that is all that has mattered to me. So, don't think that this is another Tiki place biting the dust. Its just one guy leaving it his way, on his own terms.

Mahalo,

Brad

Hope everyone got the last post I made. I changed the topic title to get the word out.

Brad

More good tiki news this week! Thanks for the update.

K

What an amazing place. It's good to hear that it's going to remain a tiki bar. I only wish I knew about it before it closed - I would have made the trek from Atlanta to check it out.

Pages: 1 40 replies