Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kona Club

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

(pics soon)

T

Ben, you're such a tease!

I wana buy it to hang by my air guitar.

B

Well well hello rev Bamboo ben, how ya' doin' and what brings you to these parts. Howz the Kona Club coming? Will Eli be proud ? I'll bet he already iz. Good to hear from you even if it is only the Promise of pix, thatz better that nuttin at all...

15,000 nails

2,600 12' bamboo poles (more still to come)

3,000 screws

80 lbs of spray glue

lots o mattings

31 tapa cloths

6,000 lin ft. of rope

3 weeks to this date ( only 2 days off)

missing Thanksgiving and Mrs Bamboo's B- day.

Building the Kona Club..............Priceless!

last day for us soooooo gotta git on the mothership and funk it up!!

pix soon

CA

saying in a house with three cats and being allergic to them..... all time!

three weeks of Smoking Ben Boo fumes..... All Time!!

three weeks of bamboo dust , spay glue, and lacquer arisals.... ALL Time

11+ days away from a marathon with burning lungs and only a ten foot ladder as training routine.....

ALL TIME!!!!!

The Dynamic Duo at it again! Home stretch fellas!

On 2005-11-29 08:47, Tiki-bot wrote:
Ben, you're such a tease!

I'd tell you to FO but that damn turkey dinner was awesome!! ( mucho mahalos)

I'll post some werking pics when i git back home.

Final pics will be posted the day before they open.

Keep an eye out and a night off in the near future.

Will keep y'all posted.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Dec 1, 2005 7:30 AM

Tell him to ring me up. I'm home today and tomorrow and can work out that deal fo sho!

Aloha Tiki Freaks!!

Just got back home an hour ago ( for a day) ( then off to another LA job aka Cha Cha, then back to the Kona Club for the final punch, Punchie!) , so here are a few of the working pics as promised. ( I might be a hard ass once in a while but I'm a dedicated hard ass!! Arrr!!)

Hallway to the head.

back wall of the Long Hut. ( of course the lighting will be different stupid!!)

Bobbie Daddy Wax ( aka Bobbie Beeswax, Bobbie Minwax, Bobbie Mustachewax, etc. to C'Al and I only) of Soul. He was a dj back in the early 70's in Detroit who had a 18" afro!! He never had a bumper sticker on any of his cars, ever! Until he met me. Super nice bro and a hell of a dancer. " You Got to Have SOUL!!!! SOUL!!!" # 5612 on the box.

Will know sometime in the near future when the Kona Club will be open to the masses. I'll post here and there as soon as I know. Keep an eye and an ear out. Save that sick day for that last minute tiki bar run!

10-4. over and OUT!

Tiki Tiki

B

Hey hey tiki tiki, I See youse guys down/up there plsyin around and callin it workin.. While you are playing, it looks like something is happening to the Kona Club, Got anything to do with dat?/Do ya' now. show us more pix cuz it shure looks like it might be becoming a Schweet place after all.

Thanks for the tid-bits guys. We Still Love Ya'

Nuts...Just nuts. I wanna be in there doing something!

Ben definately has the touch. That place really has a personality and mojo kickin. Sweet attention to detail.

A couple more...

( will edit to one post later)

Here's a nice ad for Dewalt (there is one in the foreground and one in the background too. Like dualing banjos!)

(anyone out there in tikiland work for Dewalt?? I wonder if they would want to sponsor me???)

Looking from the front entry ( bar to be on the right)to the " short hut" in the back, past the "shrine" for the life-size brass hula girl lamp that hula's.

Our medicine cabinet........( real tiki food!)

Get down and get back up again!! Hit me! Doin' it to you in the ear hole!! Boyyyyyyyyyy!!

R

WOW!!! Cant wait to see it all done.

Loo-King GoooooD!!! Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al Rock!!!!!!

T

On 2005-12-01 21:52, RevBambooBen wrote:

( I might be a hard ass once in a while but I'm a dedicated hard ass!! Arrr!!)

Once in a while??? When you look up "hard-ass" in the dictionary, it has this picture:

Sick.

:o

CA

first off, I was hired on to this "Son of an Eli" gig as a second pair of hands... a do this here... and here, do that - guy. This is a Ben job all the way...

now.... the load in... many bummed local folk seeing the Ol' King's X hitting the highway........

is he putting up or tarring down all that fine hand finished oak molding and veneer???

maybe the brick should go.......

Wow! look at all that great natural light!

hey? does anyone have a tv in the living room that has no remote and no cable input either....... well neither do i anymore!.... every Sunday (yes we worked ever sunday, or at least i did) we had plenty of folks walking in... What? no football today?! sniff sniff sob...

hey... that massive screen would sure be great to watch some old B'movies on Friday nights....

now this room has potential!

maybe with a little BammBoo!

just a bit...

three weeks later... this pile is about 10 inches high...

hope to see many at the opening if a survive the Hawaii excursion.......

B

Excelent pix C'Al, just enough to tease us some more and keep us stringed right along. So how does the "master Ben" treat all you low lifes? I Hope he feeds you more than bread and water.
Anyway, keep the pic's coming when you can, we appreciate them very much!

On 2005-12-02 23:59, crazy al wrote:
many bummed local folk seeing the Ol' King's X hitting the highway........

Yup! That's fo sure!!

Here are some pics of the bathroom. When we first got there we heard a few crashes hit the door and a few shout outs from passerbys.

On 2005-12-03 07:17, Benzart wrote:
So how does the "master Ben" treat all you low lifes? I Hope he feeds you more than bread and water.

Let's just say he was pretty much on a Liquid Diet !!!

Training for the marathon.

MR

I'm sure you guys will make it as great a place as could ever be hoped. If anything the reluctance to accept by the locals would make me want to make it even better. You guys rule. Can hardly wait to see the finished product.

B

Seems to me that if the old crowd were more loyal to thair Kings thingy, it would Still be there in business and not have had to close down. But what do I know, the owner may have just decided to quit and sell the place and run. Heres hoping they find the Aloha spirit live and well at The Kona Club.
Excellent job guys, all except Ben who is porbably sitting around barking orders and not even getting dirty or working up a sweat, Right??Coff,coff
You Know I Love ya' Benno

On 2005-12-03 18:06, Benzart wrote:
Seems to me that if the old crowd were more loyal to their Kings thingy, it would Still be there in business and not have had to close down. But what do I know, the owner may have just decided to quit and sell the place and run. Heres hoping they find the Aloha spirit live and well at The Kona Club.

I said the same ting to Mr. P today, they're pissed at the guy who bought their bar, NOT the guy who SOLD their bar, after taking their money for however many years... It's not like it was the only bar in Oakland to watch foot ball at, sheesh! Oh well... I can't wait!

On 2005-12-02 23:59, crazy al wrote:
now.... the load in... many bummed local folk seeing the Ol' King's X hitting the highway........

Article on this subject from the local paper:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/09/16/BAGSGEO6CC1.DTL

Fantasy Football.....? Well, then.

Sorry, I love the local dive as much as the next drunk, but it's not like TGIFriday's bought the Kings X and is turning it into a chain restaurant. The guy who bought it owns one of the best local bars in the East Bay, (the Mallard) I have no doubt that he knows what he's doing and the locals will be welcome.

• If the sale goes through, the demise of the King's X would mark the end of yet another traditional bar, and it could wind up a Hawaiian-themed bar with tiki torches, bamboo, wooden masks and grass-covered bar stands, owner Nick Haney said. *

Oh crap, man, there's such a dearth of TRADITIONAL bars in Oakland, and ummmm, 2 tiki bars. ok.

And Nick, why are you selling the bar? Are you cashing out and moving to Minneapolis? Taking your Fantasy Football residuals and running for cheap real estate? The Kona Club will rule, Oakland drunks and Raider fans will get over it, it will all work out!

aloha
peoples
Get ready for the SHIT to hit the fan!! seriously. The Kona Cklub will be like no other tiki bar. Ever!.

Not trying to play it up or what not but, it's giving me chills! Not cause it's cold tonight but because

everything is a positve vibration. It's truley what a tiki bar should be. Off to bed. Mas werk menyana!!

Just got back last night from another 4 day run at the Kona Club. Itz shappin' up and should be ready for the 17th rumor has it. ( 96% sure) Will let yous knows asap when the light is green!

Another pic......

Tiki Tiki!

T
B

Br Ben, I think you are giving US All chills. Pictures to follow soon???

T

On 2005-12-13 19:54, Benzart wrote:
Pictures to follow soon???

Very soon.... :)

J

I checked out Tiki Lee's post. Ben you do terrific work. If I lived in a perfect world, my whole house would look like that!
JohnnyP

MD

I'm gonna drive all the way there and not take a leak the whole way.....just so I can
walk that shweeeeet hallway to the head when I get there!
Beautiful!

See pics of the club from last night's preview party:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17671&forum=4&0

You've got Big Balls. They have Big Balls. She has Big Balls, He has Big Balls, but the Kona has the Biggest Balls of them All!!

We hung some Balls today hungover. (More balls to cum in the future)

The core is there. There will be more and more and more and more and........ added in the next few months or so-ish.

We also hung some nets and some wood stuff hungover today too. Hanging stuff hungover is horribly horrific !!! ( see events page for party pics the night before)

Great job Ben.
It looks more hawaiian than any bar I've been in.
You can tell by the photos it's a real labor of love.

J

So when are you going do one of these bars in Michigan??????
JP

B

Careful, that could give the MaiKai a run for the money.
We need to see more pic's to really know how great this job is,

On 2005-12-16 08:34, Benzart wrote:
Careful, that could give the MaiKai a run for the money.
We need to see more pic's to really know how great this job is,

Go to the Events page.

Just flew back and boy are my arms tierd. Badda bing! Badda boom. Tangggg!! ( super bumpy flight with all the rain)

What a partay last night!!!!. Another chapter in my personal book of tiki.

The giant 10' x 3' dia. Tongan tiki mask was too big to put into the Kona Club so it is in Berkley, at Thalasa, the 10k sq. ft. Classy Pool Hall bar, for your viewing pleasures. We never made it over to check it out so maybe one of you Locals can go snap a pic and post it for us.

Screwed up a couple of masks to the walls last night and that was it. For a while. This bar will evolve with time. It's basically your home tiki bar . Warm and fuzzy all over. If you don't feel it the first time, then try again. If you don't feel it the second time, go see a shrink!!!

It's gonna take some time to adjust to being home and not up in Oakland/Berkley, my home away from home for the last month and a half. Doug and Julie are top notch and I can feel the Kona Club withdrawls already seteling in and I've only been home for a few hours. I'm going to go and cry now....

p.s. I don't think anyone can beat the Mai Kai. It's
( the Mai Kai)simply the best tiki bar in my world!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-12-19 09:15 ]

Good for you Ben. Have a good cry and then sleep and relax.

I'm not sorry I couldn't make it. Stayed home with my son and played video games with him till he kicked my ass.

I'll let the stories, the beer, and mai tai's seep into the walls, tables, bars & walkways of the Kona Club....and then I'll go and take in the sweet aroma, sights and sounds of it it all.
Mahalo for you hard work.

Damn... is this place beautiful or what??

You da man. Ain't no bettah, Ben. Badda Ben Badda Boom!

Aloha Rev !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The place looks killer my friend.It looks as though you are having a Great time working that makes it all flow(Beers help as well) thanks for sharing . the place really looks cool, Aloha your friend ,, Mooney

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 8:08 PM

Hey Rev how about a bar like that in HB or OC for that matter. That place is completely bitchen!

W
Wolli posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 1:35 AM

Can anyone post the address of the Kona Club, please.
I like to visit the club in April.

Thanks,
Wolli

W
Wolli posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 2:09 PM

Mahalo nui loa for your help, mrs. pineapple.

Wolli

aloHA!!!

10 Tiki bar stools!

Should be ready to sit on at zee Kona Club soon.

A little bird landed on my shoulder and whispered something about a mug in the future too.

Just remember. It's Hawaii Time at zee Kona Club. It's not an all at once BAM! It's a little here, and a little there. With a lot of No Worries!!!

Arrrrr!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-02-08 21:07 ]

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-02-08 21:09 ]

Pages: 1 2 55 replies