Name:Waikiki
Type:restaurant
Street: Neureutherstr. 39
City:Munich
State:
Zip:80799
Phone:+49 89 27 11 14

Description:
Waikiki is a small Thai/Indonesian restaurant located in a quiet neighborhood near the Schwabing district of Munich. By foot, it can be reached via a short (5 minute) walk from the Josephsplatz U-bahn station.

The decor is tropical, featuring tapa cloth wall coverings and large, carved wooden tiki masks. A backlit bookcase filled with carvings and knick-knacks also figures prominently, along with fan-backed wicker chairs. Traditional Hawaiian music is played, at a reasonable volume, and the lighting is muted.

The drink menu is extensive and the drinks themselves are clearly modeled after Trader Vic's. The bartender mixes a very reasonable fascimile of a Mai Tai and an excellent Zombie, both were priced far lower than the Munich Vic's.

Waikiki is a restaurant, not a bar, so patrons will be greeted by puzzled looks from the waitstaff if they order only drinks. The menu is reasonably priced and features Thai staples such as spring rolls, along with curries and noodle dishes.

It was opened by a Trader Vic's bartender, hence the painted mural of the classic TV menu cover by the entrance, and the overall "selfmade" feel. A good spot to surprise locals with, who usually do not know of it's existence.

On 2005-11-29 11:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
It was opened by a Trader Vic's bartender, hence the painted mural of the classic TV menu cover by the entrance, and the overall "selfmade" feel. A good spot to surprise locals with, who usually do not know of it's existence.

Thanks for mentioning the mural, Sven. I didn't notice it when I was there. I was thinking that the bartender might have been a former Vic's employee. And yes, the restaurant's existence did surprise the Muenchener friend who came with me, especially since he had gone to the university nearby for several years and had no idea it was there.

M

I had a chance to return to Waikiki last week when I got together with my friend the Orangeguru for dinner. This time, I sampled some Thai food along with my Mai Tais, and took a few photos. A very nice evening was had.

Here's the front of the restaurant as seen from the street:

One of several tikis that adorned the interior:

The walls were covered with masks:

The Orangeguru ponders the giant aquariums behind him and wishes for fish upon his dish.

The Orangeguru resists fiercely, but is finally overcome by the evil spirit of the Giant Tiki Mask and stabs himself in the neck with a dinner fork.

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2022-04-15 17:39:31 ]

Now closed according to Yelp.

Well, that's a bummer. I'm trying to restore the images for this thread, but could only find this one featuring my dear, departed friend, the Orangeguru. I hope he's finally found the peace that he couldn't in life.

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2022-04-15 17:49:00 ]

https://mytiki.life/tiki-bars/waikiki

Here are some more photos...

Pages: 1 6 replies